What Makes A Weave Look Good To You?

Yes to all that's been stated and it's gotta be a good weave for YOU. Women sometimes try to wear hair that doesn't look good on them but looked good in the BSS. Anytime people wonder if that's your hair ( strangers if people know your true length) then it's a good weave. When I wear weave people think it's mine that's how I know it's good. Now we all know some weaves start out great day 1 and look ratty by day 10 so a good weave will last!

Texture & Blending. I love her hair, all her weaves are on point!

dsc09761.jpg
dsc08636.jpg

free-people-extratropical-dress-2.jpg
This is a blogger, right? I used to follow blog her a while back, what's her name? I always though that was her hair!
--

This is why I wouldn't mind wearing a weave every once in a while, but can't. Too much effort, time, and money devoted to the upkeep

Texture - Shiny or super silky looking weave is not cute. It shouldn't be dull and dusty looking either. It should have a nice natural sheen.

Length & density - These two have to be proportioned correctly. You can probably get away with a higher density if the hair is armpit length or shorter. Longer lengths need to be properly layered and thinned out a bit.

Color - Subtle colors are always best if you want a realistic looking weave.

Installation - The size and pattern of the cornrows is very important. No one wants to have a weave that looks like it's sitting on top of their head.

That's all I can think of for now lol.

installation that is well done is very, very important to me.
my regular stylist's tagline is "no humps, no bumps, no lumps" and it is the truth. i can wear a FLAT ponytail or bun and you will not see any tracks or bumps.

I'm not feeling my weave right now because i tried to get cheap and go with a different stylist than my usual. i tried to do a ponytail and :cry: all these humps in my head bruh.

i would say almost 80% of the weaves that i see have odd bumps and humps in the crown that are a dead giveaway...but then again, i have an eagle eye for spotting weaves.

I like weaves that look natural like it's your hair. I want to guess about whether it is weave. I don't like plastic looking or wiggy looking hair. Also, don't like waist length or butt length weave. I have yet to see a weave that long that was believable. Gabrielle Union wears nice looking weave.

Last edited:
I love weave and wigs that is impossible to tell that it's a weave or wig. So blending, color and texture has to be on point with no lumps or bumps.

Hair that mimics what grows out of your head. My every day wig is Heaven, when I first wore her DH though I'd flat ironed my hair. No too long (for me) to be unbelievable, not shiny and plastic looking etc

Hmm.

I kinda feel like what I prefer for myself doesn't reflect the variety of weave styles I think can look good on others. Especially some of the youtube weave wizards.

Like fake nails and marley braids etc.., there are times I'm 100% sure a person is fake and proud, but everything else about the weave (install, density, shade, edges) is pretty damn good lol. I have a preference for real looking stuff, but sometimes I see someone that is not trying to pass something off as their own and it still looks well executed for what it is.

Prime example...When I watch RHOA I always hate Porsha's weaves but love Kenya's even though hers tends to be pretty long too.
Exactly!
IMO a good weave looks like the texture could be your own. Porsha's hair is too long, too full, too silky, just way too weavey. Weaves look good when the person has a decent amount of leave out. All these wigs and closures etc look a mess up close. ThiThi (Love n Hip Hop/Benzino's girl) wears weaves I love!!! I love most of her hair looks, I admire it on IG and on Marriage Bootcamp and she wears a full head of weave and bundles but the hair looks good, the texture is usually nice, and it matches her own hair texture. It doesn't look like hair that belongs on a doll.
Kenya's weaves look good b/c she probably has some bit of a leave out and her weaves blend well with her real hair. If I were relaxed I'd be rocking the sh!t outta my extensions plus hair, too bad my natural hair won't let me be great lol.

Sanaa also wears weaves I like. I'm not a fan of the overdone weaves.

Exactly!
IMO a good weave looks like the texture could be your own. Porsha's hair is too long, too full, too silky, just way too weavey. Weaves look good when the person has a decent amount of leave out. All these wigs and closures etc look a mess up close. ThiThi (Love n Hip Hop/Benzino's girl) wears weaves I love!!! I love most of her hair looks, I admire it on IG and on Marriage Bootcamp and she wears a full head of weave and bundles but the hair looks good, the texture is usually nice, and it matches her own hair texture. It doesn't look like hair that belongs on a doll.
Kenya's weaves look good b/c she probably has some bit of a leave out and her weaves blend well with her real hair. If I were relaxed I'd be rocking the sh!t outta my extensions plus hair, too bad my natural hair won't let me be great lol.

Sanaa also wears weaves I like. I'm not a fan of the overdone weaves.

Lol! Yes, weavey is the perfect word to describe Porsha's hair.

For me a realistic weave or wig has a realistic density, length, color and texture.....emphasis on texture. Kinky straight hair is a huge trend right now and thank goodness for that, singeing your hair to try to get it to blend with a silky straight texture that doesn't even look passable on you in the first place is not the wave. Here are some examples of some gorgeous kinky straight wigs:

This is one of the most natural looking kinky straight wigs I've ever seen, the silk based closure looks so natural, the front braid she did was genius and also aided in the believability/blending

This one is also very good

This is more of an afro kinky wig with alot of curl definition, it looks believeable because she's wearing a texture that looks like it could be hers.

When you're playing up your natural texture you don't even have to go expensive either, you can crochet in marley hair then blow it out to achieve the kinky straight look with no leave out looks very natural and its more affordable.

@Britt you brought back memories with EP relaxed texture hair. Do you think that's what Kenya wears?
Do people still do in between tracks (partials)?

@Britt you brought back memories with EP relaxed texture hair. Do you think that's what Kenya wears?
Do people still do in between tracks (partials)?
IDK, but that hair is soooooooo realistic looking! It's very textured. I also think imo the more hair you leave out the better, hence partial weaves or wearing tracks in between your own hair. Kenya to me looks like she leaves out a decent amount of her own hair. Oooh I love me some EP relaxed texture. That was the first and only straight weave hair I've ever bought lol.

Lots of things make a good weave but my pet peave is please use natural colors. I've never seen a baby born with pink, blue, purple, or green hair..

IDK, but that hair is soooooooo realistic looking! It's very textured. I also think imo the more hair you leave out the better, hence partial weaves or wearing tracks in between your own hair. Kenya to me looks like she leaves out a decent amount of her own hair. Oooh I love me some EP relaxed texture. That was the first and only straight weave hair I've ever bought lol.
Kenya has a product line now and is telling the world that her hair is all hers. And I don't mean bought it... She swears it's her natural hair... IDK

It's a combination of things that have been mentioned here: density, color, texture. When it looks like you're wearing a hair hat, you need to get your money back.
I hate to see full weaves (no leave out) that look like bad wigs. They probably paid a decent amount just to look like their wearing a cheap wig.
It's awful but Pam Oliver comes to mind. She's on tv too often to have such bad weaves.

Hair that matches the color, hair type and texture of the wearer. Parts should look natural.

Kenya has a product line now and is telling the world that her hair is all hers. And I don't mean bought it... She swears it's her natural hair... IDK
I believe that is her hair... She always had long hair- since her Miss Universe days.

Back