What kind of Breakage Do You Think This Is?

ChanelNo5

I want to keep this short because I'll upset myself and start crying again.

In May 2007 I made 2 years on my hair journey and my hair was perfect. 2 inches from bsl, thick, healthy ends, shiny, family gawking and everything. September relaxer everything was fine. My last relaxer was in November and I noticed how thin it had gotten. I noticed much more shedding and breakage this relaxer cycle than usual. I just thought I needed to step up DC or somethin. I did that and my hair was still coming out A LOT, breakage and shedding.

Last week I discover patches in the back of my had where my hair had broken off down to the new growth. There is literally just fuzz. I am 12 weeks post. My hair looks so see -thru thin in the back I will probably have to cut it to my shoulders and start over. I called my stylist, come to find out she switched me to no lye Elucence about a year ago from Affirm. I'm not even gonna get into what her response was, that's a whole nother thread. I do remember at my last touch up after I had been neutralized and deep conditioned and was in her chair, she looked at my scalp and took my back to the bowl and shampooed me again herself because she said she still saw some "residue" and proceeded to go over and talk to her assistant about it. I just wanna know from what I have described to you all do you think it is chemical damage. I am not a newbie my regimen is solid and I have no other explanation. TIA

Sounds like she didn't wash/neutralize the relaxer well enough. I am 100% sure it's chemical damage.

I'm soooo sorry this happened. But STOP CRYING. trim the broken ends, salvage what you can, get a new stylist (or do it yourself), get some aint breakage treatment, don't relax for a while, and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. It's only hair, it will grow back.

In the meantime get you a fierce Posh Spice/Rihanna haircut, throw on some eyeshadow, fabulous earrings and work!

It sounds like chemical damage to me. I've had that happen to me a couple of times after going to a new stylist. I just got a sexy haircut and rocked it until my hair grew back. You'll be ok; but I'd take a break from getting relaxed at that shop for the time being.

:grouphug3:

Last edited:
Sounds like she didn't wash/neutralize the relaxer well enough. I am 100% sure it's chemical damage.

I'm soooo sorry this happened. But STOP CRYING. trim the broken ends, salvage what you can, get a new stylist (or do it yourself), get some aint breakage treatment, don't relax for a while, and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. It's only hair, it will grow back.

In the meantime get you a fierce Posh Spice/Rihanna haircut, throw on some eyeshadow, fabulous earrings and work!

I agree. That's why I keep up with what my stylist uses because even though she does a pretty good job, she does switch her products sometimes without informing me. I always look at the bottles and confirm what's being used. Don't cry though, since it sounds like your scalp wasn't damaged it will grow back.

I'm soo sorry this happened to you!

It does sound like chemical damage. Sounds like she did not rinse the chemical out properly!The same thing happened to me ( a number of times) However the most devestating time was about 10 years ago. I was still in highschool. I had my hair relaxed everything seemed great. However a few days later my hair started falling by the handfull. There was nothing I could do to help it. Then a few days after that I had a few maybe 3 large bald spots ( yes scalp showing).

I had to cut my hair into a Halle Berry cut because of the large bald spots. I cried for a long time and was very depressed However once I got the nice cut and styled it. People compliment me I felt alot better.

Your hair will grow back! :yep:

You may have to cut a few inches and do some intense treatments (not sure if a combo of protein or conditioner is needed). However I know you really need to baby it. Do not use extentions untill it becomes more healthy. You really need to baby it.

Your hair will look better after some treatment and it will recover! My support is with you!

yes,, this sounds like chemical damage,, i am genuinely sorry you had to go thru this,, stylists are simply not trustworthy so much of the time,, i learned the hard way more than once in the past,,, in the meantime have u considered discontinuing this stylist and stylists all together? So many ladies on here relax/texlax their own hair and their are even tutorials on it,,,, i hate reading things like this,, noone else will treat your hair as well as you do....

I agree with everyone else. It's chemical damage. I am going through the same thing now. I have broken patches, just like you described at the nape of my hair. This has happened to me too many times so I know it's because she didn't rins eout the relaxer properly.

This is my plan to grow it back:

healthy diet
moisturise and massage with essential oils at least once a day
apply more conditioner and moisturizer to that section
and hope for the best.

Back