What just happened here? (Conditioning/steaming problems)

frida1980

I use a alternative steaming method, which I will be retiring soon if this doesn't work out.

Last week after steaming, I noticed a lot of residue left on my iron. I figured it was just time to do a deep cleanse, so I added some baking soda to the shampoo and rinsed with some vinegar. It was squeaky, which I hate, but undeniably clean. Then piled on lots of DC and steamed it for around 30 minutes. I didn't think too much of it, until I started to press it. It was really stiff. I thought I added too much hair protectant, so I did a section with just the Sabino. Stiff as a board. And there was even more residue that last week. Then I realized, it was the conditioner. It was still in my hair. But by this time I'd done nearly all my hair.

This was really odd, because my conditioner never does this. But then, I've barely steamed before this. So I'm wondering if I need to get real steamer, so the entire head stays moister and won't cake or whatever it's doing. Or maybe I should just steam with something else entirely. Which ever one, I'm going to wet bun it since it's unusually hot this week. Great.

iv seen that done on youtube, idont think it really makes a diff. water vapor is water vapor. i would have clarified with a real shampoo sense baking soda AND vinegar can mess with the hairs PH balance or how you washed the conditioner out or all of them could have been a factor. i would try a cheapie like suave clarifying shampoo and washing your hair while your in the shower and spending a little extra time getting your deep conditioner out. HTH! good luck!

I had no idea that baking soda and vinegar could change my PH. Thanks for the tip. I only did the vinegar after the 1st condition, but not after the DC. I didn't think it needed it. Looks like I was wrong. I think I'll just trying rinsing better first before I make any big moves.

Back