What is your danger month?

blueabyss333

For me, it's October. For the past couple of years, I know when October comes and the weather changes I'm going to have breakage problems. So for the past few weeks I've been fighting breakage- whenever I run my hands through my hair I pull out many small and large strands of hair. I've tried protein and moisture and my hair strands are stronger but nothing stopped the breakage and shedding. I almost big chopped like last year :wallbash: b/c my ends feel and look horrible.

I just hennad* yesterday, deep conditioned overnight, and parted my hair into seven different ponytails to air dry. For each section I made a few parts and applied JCS Nourish & Shine and WGO, now it seems like the breakage has stopped and my hair feels like hair heaven.:lick:

I think mine is the Fall/Winter season...I'm not sure if its the dry air, or my body's natural hair growth cycle. But it seems each year I get maximum growth all spring and summer and not an ounce of breakage or shedding, but when it starts getting cooler and dryer then my hair just gets aggravated! I just gotta a major trim last week because of this. I hadn't had a trim since July. My hair feels much better. So I'm gonna start protective styling(half wigs, updos, maybe a sew in, flexi sets) all winter in hopes that the low manipulation will lessen the stress on my hair!

Are there certain things you ladies do to help prepare for breakage season? It seems like whatever I do doesn't work and I just have to survive it the best I can.:ohwell:

Are there certain things you ladies do to help prepare for breakage season? It seems like whatever I do doesn't work and I just have to survive it the best I can.:ohwell:

yeah stock up on oils and things

hot oils are the bst part of this season

also staying indoors with a humidifier!

finding good hea scarves

keepings ends away is a must

Thanks Candy C, that is good advice. Anyone else have any ideas on what we need to do, to control the breakage/shedding in the seasonal change?

I should say danger "time of the month".

For some reason, a week before my period, I get MAJOR shedding. It stops after my period ends, but I hate dealing with it every month.

The dead of winter, like January and Feb. My hair just breaks and sheds as if it was paid to. Last year, even if I turned on the humidifier full blast, my hair was having none of it.

This happened to me last year from december through the end of febuary. I live in the desert, so it's super dry, add cold and windy to that and it's breakage city. My hair's on the road to recovery, but I wasnt taking any chances and got it braided in SEPT. I'm going to keep it that way all winter. It seems to hold moisture better this way, and the less manipulation the less breakage.

I think the months between summer & fall are my worst ones. For some strange reason, I start shedding like crazy around this time. It happened last year, and it's happened again this year. I'm guessing my shedding is seasonal after all:ohwell:

Like Blueabyss, I tend to shed the most in October...Ironically, I hennaed for the first time yesterday, deep conditioned overnight & put my hair in about 7 twists but I used Curly Qs Custard...the version before they added cones.

I should say danger "time of the month".

For some reason, a week before my period, I get MAJOR shedding. It stops after my period ends, but I hate dealing with it every month.

Wow, that's interesting. I wonder why that is. I'll have to look out for that.

Like Blueabyss, I tend to shed the most in October...Ironically, I hennaed for the first time yesterday, deep conditioned overnight & put my hair in about 7 twists but I used Curly Qs Custard...the version before they added cones.

OT: Okay, I was not sure how to spell 'hennaed' it looks grammatically incorrect.:look:

Looks like you and I have the same idea in mind. How did your hair turn out? Does it seem like the treatment worked?

The dead of winter, like January and Feb. My hair just breaks and sheds as if it was paid to. Last year, even if I turned on the humidifier full blast, my hair was having none of it.

Doesn't it seem like NOTHING will work? I swear, I started to question myself like what am I doing wrong?

Did anyone trim as a result?

Blueabyss...yes it does seem like we had the same idea in mind which is why I had to reply:yep:

I'm glad you're loving your hair!

My hair feels heavy...if that makes sense...but good..and the strands feel smooth...I'm hoping this will stop some of the shedding. I also did an Indian hair rinse & then the deep conditioner.

I want to henna again in a month but I want to add some Cassia to the mix, because I don't want the color change...

Doesn't it seem like NOTHING will work? I swear, I started to question myself like what am I doing wrong?

Did anyone trim as a result?

I used to always trim in the fall as a result & therefore never got past brastrap....by the end of summer I would be brastrap, by the end of winter I would be between shoulder & APL. Last fall was the first time I didn't go get a trim & went with the protective styles instead...It got me through the winter, but I still ended up trimming myself because I had highlighted & texturized ends in the crown area...I'm hoping the henna will give my hair the extra strength to help with retention during the harsh winter months:ohwell:

Blueabyss...yes it does seem like we had the same idea in mind which is why I had to reply:yep:

I'm glad you're loving your hair!

My hair feels heavy...if that makes sense...but good..and the strands feel smooth...I'm hoping this will stop some of the shedding. I also did an Indian hair rinse & then the deep conditioner.

I want to henna again in a month but I want to add some Cassia to the mix, because I don't want the color change...
Awww thank you! You know, sometimes I can absolutely relate to someone's post but I don't say anything.:rolleyes: What I love about this forum is that everyone's willing to share info, and when that happens, that makes you want to help someone else.

Anywho, I just wanted to add my hair feels heavy too! And I like it. It feels so full and it's shiney.:lick: I think I will be hennaing, CON, clarify, CON (I forget who suggested that) and deep conditioning every 1st Sunday. Good luck with the Cassia, let us know how it works.

My danger month(s) are November all the way to January / February.

It took me lots of breakage in the back and 3 months of cold weather to finnally realize that I HAD breakage and that it was due to the harsh weather, dry heat inside my house and scarves/hats.

So here's my strategy this season:

I starting wearing protective updos in late September. I wear my hair down for church on Sundays (to give it a break) and back up throughout the week.

I wear different updos and pinups and keep them as loose as possible
*My hair is naturally fine so the pinning in the same place all the time or pinning too securely can stress and break it too. *

I put EVOO in my rinse out conditioner and when that's rinsed, I put in leave-in conditioner and some jojoba oil on my ends and sparingly throughout my strands.

I wet set or wrap to dry. NO DIRECT HEAT. If I need curls I use the Caruso Steam rollers.

After my wet set is dry, I mix Jojoba oil and Rosemary Essential oil to moisturize my scalp and give it a good scalp massage which distributes to the strands.
*Too much oiling on my scalp gives me the itchies and oily flakes but it does so good for my hair/scalp so I oil it only once a week - which is after my weekly wash/set. Haven't seen a flake yet and I think the Rosemary is helping it grow.

At night, or in the a.m. (depending on my hair's need) I smooth in some shea butter pomade mixed with oil before styling.

CHUCKED MY CLARIFYING SHAMPOO - My old stylist told me that my hair is porous and I can never put too much moisturizing products in my hair because it gulps them down. I get dry quick so she violently poured the shampoo down the drain when she came to my house and saw it.

Most important strategy is cutting back on the heat in my house/room and blasting the humidifier at night.
*I have an electric fireplace in my room which I blasted last year because I love to be toasty and warm. I would wake up in the morning with tight dry skin and straw-like hair. Now I just wrap up good at night.

Back