What is the purpose of streaching?

SparklingFlame

Although I am a natural head now, I was wondering what does streaching relaxers do? I am just curious. I had never heard of this before coming to this board. I just wanted to know!

Stretching lessens the likelihood that hair will be overprocessed from having touchups too often. For example, if you go four weeks between relaxers, chances are that the product will end up on previously relaxed hair and not just on the new growth. This is known as "overlap", which leads to weakened, fragile hair where the new growth meets the old and breakage at that point.

Hope this helps. :)

MissBiss said:
Stretching lessens the likelihood that hair will be overprocessed from having touchups too often. For example, if you go four weeks between relaxers, chances are that the product will end up on previously relaxed hair and not just on the new growth. This is known as "overlap", which leads to weakened, fragile hair where the new growth meets the old and breakage at that point.

Yeah that makes a whole lotta sense. I probably would have done that if I would have known about it while I was still relaxing. I see now why so many people do it. Thanks Miss Biss!

MissBiss said:

I agree. Also I think that as you become more familiar with your hair and better at taking care of it, you don't run for the hills at the first millimeter of newgrowth - newgrowth is good! Stretching allows me to see what my hair is doing over an extended period of time and to tweak my regimen for the better.

Back