What is the Greatest, Baddest, Serum?!

DaughterOfZion1

Hey Ladies!!! I wanted to know what everyone thought was the best serum. I am natural and I am going to be blowdrying and straightning my hair with a Chi turbo (got to purchase it first lol ) and my GHD. I am super excited, but I am looking for a banging serum for the blowdrying, and flat ironing stage. Any raves or suggestions?

Thanks ladies!

Paul Mitchell Super Skinny or CHI Silk Infusion never disappoint me...they do have cones, but hey...it is what it is!

Silicon Mix Serum. The texture, the way it makes my hair feel, the shine.... It's just the best! :grin:

I have Super skinny but haven't figured out how I want to use it yet. What is this mainly for, shine? Heat protection? what? Can I use it on dry hair before flat ironing or as a final finisher or should I use it on damp hair BEFORE drying? (sorry for hi-jacking the thread)

I have Super skinny but haven't figured out how I want to use it yet. What is this mainly for, shine? Heat protection? what? Can I use it on dry hair before flat ironing or as a final finisher or should I use it on damp hair BEFORE drying? (sorry for hi-jacking the thread)

The super skinny is supposed to help "de-puff" the hair and get rid of bulk. Also it speeds up drying time. You apply it to damp, towel dried hair, distribute evenly and then style. It is not a heat protectant IMO, but a styling aid.

I love Sabino Moisture Block - it's a heat protectant, it seals in moisture, and it helps keep reversion at bay. :yep: I like that it only has 2 ingredients, and it's scent free. Some serums have a overly sweet smell to them.

Another that I like is Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide. It has a very nice scent, a good consistancy, and it gives a lot of shine.

My hair HATES Redken. I've tried it twice... very carefully and although my hair will be soft, it looks dull, dry and ashy (yeah, that bad). I can't stand it, that's why I asked about the Skinny Serum.

I have Sabino Moisture Block but am reserving that only for humid conditions.

I love Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide Serum. I use the entire line (Shampoo, Butter Treat, Detangler & Heat Glide) when I straighten my hair. Paul Mitchel Skinny Serum I use to add shine every now and then.

They've already been mentioned: Redken's Smooth Down Heat Glide, SMB and Paul Mitchell Skinny serum. I also like Oscar Blandi's Olio di Jasmine.

Fantasia for color treated hair is the bidness! Very good at sealing, smoothing, and protecting.

kerastase oleo relax serum, i lurrrrve!

ill have to try this super skinny though its probably a lot lighter on the pocket book

How much does the super skinny run and how are you guys using it....actually i would like to hear from shampoo to flat iron...all your steps if you dont mind sharings (especially if you are natural like myself)

Okay let me just say that this morning, I have declared Sabino Moisture Block to be THE one (for me at least).

Twelve days ago (after getting my hair done), I decided to test the PM Super Skinny Serum and Moisture Block. On one side I put the PM on a loc of hair and on the other side, I put the MB on a loc of hair in the exact same position. Now I know both products encourage you to apply while damp, then blowdry and so on, but I wanted to see how they would compare if I just used them as a finishing serum.

This morning, I woke up with hair every which way (had a rough night) and against my pledge, I flat-ironed some stray pieces. I had forgotten my little test until I noticed one loc of hair that was noticeably different than the rest of my hair. It was silkier looking and came out smoother than the hair around it after I touched it with the flat iron. It was the side I applied the Sabino Moisture Block!

Ladies, the difference was that noticeable. I commonly moisturize my roots and strands some mornings with my shea butter mixture pomade and it leaves my hair nice, soft and hydrated but still wavy because I'm transitioning. The test loc was silky looking and straight and it still didn't look like the rest of my hair. This was just from rubbing a small dot-sized amount onto finished hair. All this, since about 3-4 days of rain and working out.

This proves that it was truly blocking anything from getting in. This was my concern before I purchased the MB, but Victor Sabino (the creator of MB) promised me that the product would not dry my hair out because although it was blocking, it was also locking in the moisture that would already be in my hair before applying. I think I'm done... the search is over for me.

Last edited:
My biggest fear with sabino is what people have said about it weighing their hair down and their hair looking greasy. How much do you apply to your sections. And can you shed light on your flat ironing process.

Not sure if you're asking "me" or anyone in general but I personally have not fully used it yet. I have a bottle of it and peeled back the protective sealing, dabbed my fingertip in it and smoothed it on a section for a test.

I don't plan on using it fully until I anticipate humid weather or conditions (like an event or gathering). Right now, I'm doing okay for workdays.

One common thing I read is that it only weighs your hair down when you use too much. A little goes a long way. I've posted a you tube link in and earlier post in this thread and you should really check it out to see how they apply it. They just pour a dime sized amount (depending on how long/thick your hair is) rubbing hands together and going through hair.

The lady in the video flat irons her hair and everything. Check it out.

So I had a sample of Sabino Moisture Block and just tried it out on a piece of my natural hair (I'm in braids but I took one out). I am sold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It laid my hair OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SOLD LADIES!!

All you need is a little to lay you out man!!! I am in love!!!!

I love Herstyler Serum, it is all that, but too darn expensive for 2 oz. it is $45 bucks. I bought CHi SIlk infusion to use in between and it isn't as good but it is a great alternative. :D

Back