What is the best Temperature of water for your hair ?

Temperature of water you usually use

• warm

Votes: 61 40.9%
  • cold

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • hot

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • warm and cold

Votes: 62 41.6%
  • it doesn't matter

Votes: 7 4.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

redruby

I am really confused about hair washing and rinsing process when it comes to the right temperature of water, i always use warm water but i have being reading some posts and articles that suggest using cold water. please i need help:)

I have always been told to use cold water b/c it opens up the pores of your hair(not sure if this is true and/or what it has to do with the health of your hair).

I always use warm water, as I can't stand for my scalp to be cold!

I am interested in seeing posts on this topic!

http://public.fotki.com/moniquekirk

I found this on the motions website.

.What temperature should the water be when I rinse my hair after shampooing? A.The temperature should be determined by what you want to achieve. Cool water helps close the cuticle, which makes the hair feel smoother, but the feeling is temporary…black hair has a cuticle that will tend to remain slightly open. If you want more of the conditioner to remain on your hair (thick or damaged hair), use cooler water. To remove most of the conditioner, use warmer water.

from reading ive learned its best to wash with warm water then rinse conditioner off with cool water to close the cuticles back down

Great! I learned another hair lesson. :)

Too bad this cooler water wont really work in the shower. I can't take a lukewarm shower, so I know cool is out of the question.

I use warm water to wash, and tepid or cool water to rinse. If you are have serious issues with tangling, you should rinse with cool water. I don't think there would ever be any reason to use water that would register to your body as "cold."

vivadiva85 said:
Great! I learned another hair lesson. :)

Too bad this cooler water wont really work in the shower. I can't take a lukewarm shower, so I know cool is out of the question.

After I am already wet with warm water, turning the temp down a bit is not as shocking

I voted for warm. I know that too hot raises your hair cuticles.. and too cold actually closes the cuticles.. Cold is probably better but I can't stand it on my scalp... so I figured warm is the next best thing.

I like to use warm water on my hair. It doesn't respond too well to hot water.

I wash and rinse in lukewarm water. I cannot bear cold water on my scalp, it's uncomfortable and I don't like how my hair feels thereafter.

I wash and condition in pretty warm water. However, I fill a jar with acv and cold water for my final rinse. I lean back and pour it on my head.....it actually feels really good on my scalp (making sure that none gets on my body).

I vote warm through the entire wash.

Cold water doesn't really make a difference unless you're trying not to fully rinse off conditioner, in which case cold might leave behind more than warm water would...which might explain why some people prefer to end with cold and say their hair feels better. Contrary to popular belief, cold water doesn't close cuticles (or pores), so if that's your goal, then you're basically flogging a dead horse. A low pH is what closes cuticles, not a low temperature. So if closing cuticles is your goal, use ACV in your final rinse and use warm water so you stop freezing your brain cells for nuffin.

When I cold water rinsed, I would just lean back so the water only hit my hair and not my body

I never noticed any benefits from doing it though, so I stopped.

ok I'm learning something here.... one day I will have the opp to actually do some research:-/ (I hope)
the cold water principle mislead me as well:look:.... not surprised:grin:, but more shocked that celebrity (and many other stylist) emphasize the use of COLD WATER to close the cuticle after conditioning (I've both been told this, have read this, and seen tons of videos of stylists on youtube claiming this) even those performing under the Ehow (how-to) channels

but @Nonie
noone has ever pointed me to this blogspot:nono::look::grin:... OMG I nearly orgasmed:blush::blush::blush: when I saw that she gave scientific journals and/or articles to support her responses

OMG... anyway this says that an alkaline pH has been proven (knew that) to open the cuticle, but no proven research available to SUPPORT theories that a acidic pH can close the cuticle? hmmmmmmmmm anyone ever read supported articles that says otherwise?

Part 2 of 2: Porosity - Can you fix it?
See part 1 of 2: Porosity- Definitions and Causes

Now that we know how porosity occurs I can now take on your burning questions

Q: Can all porosity be fixed

No, when the cuticle sustains damage, this simply cannot be fixed. The cuticle does naturally thin down as hair length increases due to normal weathering (Journal of the Society of Cosmetic Chemists pg155-175, 1977). Broken, chipped or missing cuticles and cracks in the hair cannot be permanently fixed. Using hydrolysed protein can temporarily improve the hair but ultimately this is temporary.

Q: Can you open and close the cuticles of the hair?

This is NOT (I repeat NOT) the way the hair cuticle works. It does seem to imply that the cuticle is hinged like a door and can be raised without damage and then ‘closed’ back down. However this is not how it works.
The cuticle can be raised slightly (it takes very sensitive instruments to detect this – the distance can be as little as one millionth of a meter). Running your fingers down a strand to feel for a raised cuticle is simply not possible unless you have severely damaged hair.

Q: Can you stop the cuticle from being raised?

Not really because you have to wet your hair and handle it on occasion. You can however take steps to keep it to a minimum

1. Coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment to prevent the hair shaft from swelling. This in turn may help the cuticle from being raised (search this blog for coconut oil posts)
2. Using a conditioning shampoo. This in research terms means the dreaded term silicones which although loathed by many curly heads really actually are good for minimizing protein loss from hair (meaning chipping/breaking cuticles) (Journal of the Society of Cosmetic Chemists, pg 39-52, 1995). If you are anti-silicone, pick a conditioning shampoo (key word conditioning)
3. Hair conditioner use after shampooing has been shown to restore the hair fibre appearance (meaning smooth down the cuticle after shampooing) (Journal of the Society of Cosmetic Chemists, pg 347-371,1993). It also helps with combing and reducing damage to the cuticle during this process (see this post)

Q: Does apple cider vinegar help to ‘close’ the cuticle?

There is no evidence to support that pH (i.e low pH of ACV) can affect the hair cuticle in this way. High pH (9 and over) found during relaxing can raise the cuticle and even destroy the hair completely (J Invest Dermatol 105: 96-99, 1995). This study did also show that hair did not show any real change, meaning the cuticle was not raised or smoothened by exposure to a large range of pH values (about pH 4 to 8).

Q: Does cold water help to ‘close’ the cuticle?

Again there is no evidence to indicate this happens. Heat, even low heat with a blow dryer (70 degrees Celsius for 30 seconds) does raise the cuticle. You can see it for yourself in this paper which has a rather excellent image –see figure 4.

There is no evidence that I could find that running cool/cold water over the hair impacts the cuticle in any way.
http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/07/part-2-of-2-porosity-can-you-fix-it.html

Last edited:
@tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT What I do know is as long as hair pH is about 5, then hair is in its most "normal" state. Most shampoos are either above 7 or very close to 7 even if on the lower side of it. If I were to rinse my hair with plain water, assuming the water is at 7, then my hair would be left at the pH of the shampoo I used. If I then use a conditioner, the pH may come down a bit because the conditioner has an acidic pH. But the acidity of the conditioner doesn't take over so that if my hair was at pH 8, say, and then I apply pH 4 say, that my hair now has pH 4. The reaction between the pH 8 that my hair had and that of the conditioner will give me a pH that may be more acidic than it was but it may not be at the normal state of my hair 4.5-5.5. By me applying an ACV rinse--which I've said in no uncertain terms should be very dilute--not only do I VERIFY that I leave my hair in an acidic state, but I have also experienced the difference in my hair thanks to introducing this to my regimen in 2004.

So while there may be "reports" claiming that a pH of 4-8 doesn't make a difference to hair, I do know that my hair strands don't tangle, and my hair feels smoother since I introduced ACV into my regimen. I can even tell a difference in my hair if I skip the ACV rinse. So much so, that I now keep a solution in a spray bottle so should I ever be in a rush or out of ACV to do a full rinse, I can spray my hair to ensure an acidic pH is the last thing left in my hair. The other thing to note is unless one is using distilled water, you cannot be sure that your hair's pH is that of whatever the conditioner that was last on it left it at. Hard water has salts that I am guessing could make your hair somewhat alkaline if you just rinsed with it, hence the reason folks with hard water have complaints on how their hair feels.

Here's what the scientists at P&G say:
pH and hair

The key to the perming process lies in the fact that perming solution is alkaline. What exactly does this mean in relation to hair?

When scientists talk to each other about alkaline solutions and acid solutions, they need a way of measuring alkalinity and acidity. The scale they use for their measurements is called the pH scale.

The pH scale ranges from pH 1 to pH 14. All you need to remember is that acids have pH numbers less than 7. Alkalis have pH numbers greater than 7. The more acid the solution, the lower is the pH number; the more alkaline the solution, the greater the pH number.

pH is measured using special indicator papers which change color when the pH changes.

Hair responds to changes in pH. If a hair is placed in an alkaline solution it swells, and the scales of the cuticle lift. In a slightly acid solution, the scales lie smoothly and the hair is soft. In a strongly acid or alkaline solution, however, the keratin protein starts to break down.
(Source)
And the bold has been MY experience. I already shared what mixing baking soda (an alkaline) with CON left me with rough hair that was as hard as a brush. Nowadays I don't even have to apply anything on my hair to have soft hair for days.

Folks at Salonweb say:

pH || Protein Weights

An understanding of hair products chemistry will greatly enhance your credibility with your clients as well as make your finished style picture perfect. We welcome any input you make offer to make this site the top professional site in the world.

pH's (see H-Bonds)
Let's start with pH. Firstly, dry hair has no pH. Only aqueous solutions have pH's. When hair is in an aqueous solution it normally has a pH of 4.5 to 5.5 the skin does too. One of the most beneficial treatments hair can have is to be acidified. pH's of 3.0 to 3.5 will not only close the cuticle but more importantly compact it. This:
1) Adds natural shine - (light reflects off a smooth surface)
2) Detangles - Cuticle layer can not "grab" each other.
3) Adds elasticity - The lower the pH, it higher the positive charge. This in turn brings hydrogen bonds from a beta state (weak) to and alpha state (strong). Hydrogen bonds account for nearly 100% of the hair's elasticity.
4) Locks in moisture and protein - A compacted cuticle will not allow evaporation or dissociation as much as an open cuticle.

Contrary to belief, most shampoos has a pH lower than 7.0 (neutral). The key is to bring the pH down much lower. pH's lower than 3.0 can have adverse effects during prolonged use. Example) lemon juice has a pH of ~2.5.
(Source)

(Continued next post...coz apparently I outdid my rambling with this post and it was too long to be accepted in one post. :lachen: )

Last edited:
(Continued from previous post)

Another site that supports the theory that acids close cuticles is Hair Cosmetology site:
What is the pH scale? This is the basis that helps determine how acidic or basic a chemical solution is. If the pH is measured at 7, such as in distilled water, you can expect it to be neutral. If it goes above 7, like for bleaches and detergents, it is considered basic or alkaline. If the pH is measured below 7, like for vinegar and lemon juice, it is now acidic.

Normally, most areas of the body like the scalp, skin surface, and the stomach contains acidic substances. The pH on the hair and scalp, to be more specific, is about 5. as said before, pH affects the health of the hair, which is why the pH of products used on hair can also have significant effects on your tresses.

Speaking of hair care, the most common product people can’t do without is shampoo. This has a slightly acidic pH, but more close to neutral for gentle shampoos. Shampoo has to have a lower pH to be able to clear off the scum and excess oils on the scalp and hair. A neutral shampoo is often used for babies or people with sensitive scalp and hair, to prevent irritation. Conditioners are also acidic, so that they can cause the surface of hair strands to flatten out and be smooth instead of bristly like roof shingles, as how hair strand surfaces would normally look when you have a bad hair day.
Source

Now none of the above sites say you have to go way low for cuticles to close--like below 4, which would seem to agree with the scientist quoted by the Natural Haven who said nothing happens between 4 and 8. And it seems odd to me that these places entrusted with educating those who must carry certificates of having been to college for hair care would actually be missing this very important fact if it were true. It would also seem to disregard the difference people notice when they use acidic products (shampoos, conditioners) compared to the alkaline ones like a bar of soap or detergent you'd use for clothes. If acidity that was above 4 didn't make a difference, then we're all just suckers who swear we see a difference when we use products that are below 7 but above 4. Hardly!

I found a site with experiments for students to do that I suspect were to prove that pH changes do effect a change on the cuticle. Now remember what we've read so far: that really low pH's can destroy the keratin in hair, so it's safe to assume that the experiment isn't done with pH's that would damage the hair since the students are to examine the strands afterward. Notice what this part of the assignment says:
[...]saturating hair samples with acid and alkaline products that have both high and low pH levels. After the products have been on the hair the desired amount of time, rinse the solutions. Observe the effects on the hair. Students will note the difference of hair structure when using a mild and strong acid or mild and strong alkaline. Students may feel the hair and conclude the effects of different pH on hair. If available, use a microscope to observe the state of the cuticle layer. A product that is alkaline will swell the cuticle layer of the hair, leaving it standing straight out and feeling rough. Whereas, an acid contracts or closes the cuticle leaving the hair feeling softer and looking shiner.
(Source)

The conclusion in red of smooth strands that have a natural sheen thanks to an acid has been my experience as well after an ACV rinse.

Here's another science class lesson plan on the Chemistry of Hair and the results that should be expected because the scientist who prepared the course has obviously done the experiment himself/herself to be able to offer the curriculum to teachers to use as guide in their teaching, I'd think:

Part II: Treating Hair Samples in Solutions of Varying pH
This part of the lesson involves testing hair samples in solutions of different pH. Distribute a hair sample to each group (20 strands of the same type of hair; they will eventually divide the sample into 4 groups of 5 strands each) and have students complete the activity by following the procedure on the student sheet.

Note: The test is subtle but shows expected results if done correctly. Observations of hair in each pH sample should include:

* pH 2.0: hard; smooth; not resilient; breaks easily
* pH 6.0: not as hard; smooth; very resilient; resists breaking
* pH 10.0: rough; not very resilient; tends to break easily
* pH 12.0: very rough; not resilient; tends to break very easily

When all students are finished with the activity, discuss the questions they answered on their student sheets (refer to Effect of pH on Hair Resilience: Answer Key for the questions from the student worksheet with suggested responses).
(Source)

So while I do like to hear what pros say, I don't just believe it or trust them blindly. I also test things for myself if they seem safe to do. And so far, I have found ACV rinses to make a difference to my hair. Remember, I'm one person who never complains of knots and tangles and that's on hair that isn't even coated with a balm that would make the strands slide against each other. That notwithstanding that I have the most tangly (I think I just made up a word ) of all hair types. Surely I and all the people behind the above articles and all those people who find "staples" in acidic products can't all be :nuts: , can we? But then again, I suspect mad people don't think they're mad so you never know. :drunk:

Last edited:
I'm gonna break in a second to say... remember the other day we mentioned an alkaline shampoo is needed to clarify or remove buildup from scalp/hair? the hair cosmetology quote says "a Shampoo has to have a lower pH to be able to clear off the scum and excess oils on the scalp and hair."
wat-up-with-that?

yeah I do as well:spinning: (always) use an acidic pH (primarily aloe vera juice) concoction during my conditioning process

I also like to read some of the studies (ok I usually read the summaries:ohwell:) that show a little about the discovery process, but just hate when I run into contradictory research (of course this is the nature of science, or would be no need to continue to research the given principles)

Last edited:
I'm gonna break in a second to say... remember the other day we mentioned an alkaline shampoo is needed to clarify or remove buildup from scalp/hair? the hair cosmetology quote says "a Shampoo has to have a lower pH to be able to clear off the scum and excess oils on the scalp and hair."
wat-up-with-that?

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT I think I've seen that but I chocked it up to being a typo or some crazy person's made up ish. I say that because for the longest time, soaps were alkaline and very drying because that's what was believed to clean things. It's only in recent years that they've started making more acidic cleansers for the skin in order not to be so drying and shampoos have started to get more acidic and be promoted for that fact. That said, there's the fact that ACV can be used to clean pots, etc so perhaps the discovery that acids work on scum is how folks were able to make shampoos less harsh but more acidic? So that sentence is true in the sense that acids clean scum. But to say that the shampoo has to be acidic to remove excess oil seems inaccurate because soaps, which have always been used to remove oil and dirt, worked well for years in achieving this all the while being alkaline.

Here's an excerpt article from Morrison Labs about pHs:

[SIZE=+2][SIZE=+2]Many clarifying shampoos use alkaline ingredients to swell the hair shaft and allow the surfactants to penetrate more deeply. Most hair relaxers use a strong alkali to soften the hair, break the side bonds of the hair and remove curl. In addition, many conditioners and moisturizing shampoos use acidic compounds to contract the hair shaft, smoothing it and locking in moisture. [/SIZE][/SIZE]
(Source)

So whoever came up with this suggestion that clarifying shampoos have to be acidic forgets that alkalines strip too so there's no "have to be" here. I say s/he needs to go sit down next to the one who decided my homie Pluto wasn't a planet and that my zodiac sign wasn't Libra, and do us all a favor and STFU. Another thing why I think alkaline shampoos work best as clarifying shampoos is most people who need to clarify have hair coated with oodles of acidic products--considering that most conditioning products are acidic--so seems to me that an alkaline would sort of neutralize the acidic products nicely.

Back