What is the best heat protectant?

zoromo

Hello Ladies,
I need some help. I plan to flat iron a friends hair and want to make sure it lasts. When I flat iron my own hair it lasts 3-5 days. I sweat a lot and this impacts my hair. I also always get the urge to wear my hair straight when it is about rain lol. I use the comb chase method and that works well. I usually use sleek and shine and or the IC pink serum. What is the best heat protectant and any tricks that will help it to last a week. Thank you ladies in advance.

I really like the beyond the zone one from sally's.....(orange bottle). It's light but effective and lasts and imparts great shine!

I really like the beyond the zone one from sally's.....(orange bottle). It's light but effective and lasts and imparts great shine!

I have the same one and love it! You can get the mini bottle of it to try out for only 2.99, but it smells great and works great! Its called "Turn up the Heat" :yep:

I use one and only argon oil. it is really light and my hair always feels airy after using it. it contains silicones which is suppose to make it heat resistant.

I use grapeseed oil as well as a heat protectant and I use Elucence's Silk Hydrating Elixir as the product to keep my hair from reverting.

Hello Ladies,
I need some help. I plan to flat iron a friends hair and want to make sure it lasts. When I flat iron my own hair it lasts 3-5 days. I sweat a lot and this impacts my hair. I also always get the urge to wear my hair straight when it is about rain lol. I use the comb chase method and that works well. I usually use sleek and shine and or the IC pink serum. What is the best heat protectant and any tricks that will help it to last a week. Thank you ladies in advance.

Your flat-iron ironed hair lasts 3-5 days? I sweat too but my roots revert back in less than 24 hrs. :( For this reason, I'm strongly considering texlaxing in the future even though two more weeks will make one year since my last relaxer.

Best one I've tried so far has been Nioxin Thermal Bliss. Totally hydrated, and protected my hair. My flat iron lasted for 4+ days.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Your flat-iron ironed hair lasts 3-5 days? I sweat too but my roots revert back in less than 24 hrs. :( For this reason, I'm strongly considering texlaxing in the future even though two more weeks will make one year since my last relaxer.

I am texlaxed now ( but it is so mild that I still have a fro and can still wear twists in my hair) when I said 3 to 5 days I meant with my natural hair. I have only wore this texlax hair straight a few times and though it straigtens easier, it reverts just as quick as my natural hair. I thought it would help but my hair still knots and is dry, I may need to put less oil and condish in the mix next time. I have been natural on and off since the late 90s and have not found anything that keeps my ends from feeling dry. When I was relaxed I never had this issue.

Last edited:
I believe in the John Frieda Frizz Ease line.

BTW, I don't think reversion or lack thereof has much to do with the brand used; I think it has more to do with how one applies it and what else is on one's hair when one uses it.

If your hair has some product on it, IMO anti-humectants will not adhere well to hair so protection is not thorough. Hence the "burnt" smell some may get (product burning or parts not well covered exposed)--think of trying to apply something to something already slippery and consider how whatever you're applying will slip and not really stick.

If your application method involves dividing your hair into 4 or 6 or 8 sections then rubbing the protectant between hands and smoothing it on hair, then you are not applying it meticulously and you leave an opening for moisture to enter.

My hair doesn't revert in the week I wear it straightened because the way I apply serum is with the same care relaxer is applied. Rather than apply it to my entire head in a clumsy, rushed way, I will apply it as I flat iron: I part a narrow section that I plan on clamping between my flat iron and that very narrow section is what I apply serum or spray to (making sure to cover it well). Because it's so narrow, I just need to use my fingers to smooth serum from roots to ends. Not a hair is left uncovered. I don't have to use a lot but I can be sure every "drop" was not wasted and no hair is left behind.

The results: a flat iron job that has no smell, and reversion only happens when I shampoo.

Last edited:
Nonie said:
I believe in the John Frieda Frizz Ease line.

BTW, I don't think reversion or lack thereof has much to do with the brand used; I think it has more to do with how one applies it and what else is on one's hair when one uses it.

If your hair has some product on it, IMO anti-humectants will not adhere well to hair so protection is not thorough. Hence the "burnt" smell some may get (product burning or parts not well covered exposed)--think of trying to apply something to something already slippery and consider how whatever you're applying will slip and not really stick.

If your application method involves dividing your hair into 4 or 6 or 8 sections then rubbing the protectant between hands and smoothing it on hair, then you are not applying it meticulously and you leave an opening for moisture to enter.

My hair doesn't revert in the week I wear it straightened because the way I apply serum is with the same care relaxer is applied. Rather than apply it to my entire head in a clumsy, rushed way, I will apply it as I flat iron: I part a narrow section that I plan on clamping between my flat iron and that very narrow section is what I apply serum or spray to (making sure to cover it well). Because it's so narrow, I just need to use my fingers to smooth serum from roots to ends. Not a hair is left uncovered. I don't have to use a lot but I can be sure every "drop" was not waisted and no hair is left behind.

The results: a flat iron job that has no smell, and reversion only happens when I shampoo.

Nonie :so this means on natural hair its the same method ?i want to flat iron in end of march .some say they put no product or some just blow dry,then apply serum and flat iron. Thats enough? I tried fatasia ic. Its nice. My hair smells good.

Is it dangerous to use heat serum that.contains silicones ? Im à.natural 4 type. My relaxed friends love silicones and.say it helps straighten. But for naturals?

@Nonie :so this means on natural hair its the same method ?i want to flat iron in end of march .some say they put no product or some just blow dry,then apply serum and flat iron. Thats enough? I tried fatasia ic. Its nice. My hair smells good.

coolsista-paris, whether natural or relaxed, everything I apply to my hair I do it with the care that relaxer is applied to hair. Whether it's conditioner when I'm conditioning, S Curl when wearing my hair out...et cetera. And I've always done things this way, whether relaxed or natural.

I never just pour something on hands and rub them together and then rub it on my hair en masse. Even when I'm in twists or braids, I'll put them all up to get them out of the way then pull out a few braids/twists and smooth conditioner on them in the same fashion people apply relaxer. THAT is the only way I know of ensuring I use product efficiently and no hair is missed.

So I'm talking about hair in any state (relaxed or natural) has to have protectant applied with meticulous care. I only mention "relaxer application" because I trust that everyone knows that you don't just slap it on a mass of hair and rub it in, but you part narrow section and apply a little at time because it is IMPORTANT to ensure uniform coverage. I mention it so everyone can get a picture of what I mean. I do not mention it to imply it only applies to folks with relaxed hair. It's for all.

Is it dangerous to use heat serum that.contains silicones ? Im à.natural 4 type. My relaxed friends love silicones and.say it helps straighten. But for naturals?

coolsista-paris, a good heat protectant will contain silicone. 'Cones are not bad. They only get a bad name because the SEAL hair so thoroughly that you cannot get moisture past them onto hair so if your hair was not moisturized (ie didn't have INTERNAL moisture) then it will feel dry. This is why westNDNbeauty stresses on getting all your moisture during the wash if you want a good flatiron job. And if you do, then you can use a silicone product on bare hair and have nice swanging soft straightened hair that isn't dry.

When I was relaxed, I used to apply serums to damp hair and it'd be so soft for days. I also applied it on damp twists and they were shiny and soft. The only reason I don't use serums regularly is because I LOVE to baggy more than anything else, and I can't baggy serums as it would not make any sense and I'd get itches like crazy. Otherwise, if I were one who sealed hair, I'd pick a serum or Vaseline before I picked an oil.

I mentioned that silicones make it impossible for you to moisturize your hair because they are impenetrable. But similarly they prevent moisture loss--which is why if applied to hair that already contains moisture, they will keep it soft and prevent it from losing moisture. It is this impenetrable nature that makes silicones--when applied well--prevent reversion and keep straightened hair straight until you shampoo them off.

My 9yo DD is natural 4c fine hair and the only thing that held her hair for a week was Sabino Moisture Block. Then I took her to my hair stylist and she used Kenra Blow Dry Spray and Kenra Straightening Gelee to blow dry then sprayed each section with Kenra Hot Spray as she flat ironed it. Her hair lasted TWO WEEKS until I washed it. And this was on a rainy day in the summer! I bought everything and did it myself...SAME RESULTS! Sometimes her roots puff up because she works out kind of hard (she ice skates about five hours a week) but the rest of her hair remains straightened until I wash it. And yes, each and EVERY one of her kinks comes back.:yep:

I have Sabino Moisture block too but I use it sparingly on my hair in area that are prone to be effected by moisture/humidity etc. It is just too pricey for me. Well consideriung the fact that The fantasia ic one is so good. After I finish my bottle of Sabino I dont know if I will repurchase it.

Back