What is most important when first starting to improve your hair?

IMFOCSD

Hi ladies:wave:

I was wondering what everyone felt was most important when you are first starting your journey to healthier hair ( trimming, extreme moisture, frequent washing etc)? I feel that the first thing would be a nice trim/cut. Even though I feel the first step is a good trim (and I need a nice trim) I also do not want to trim my hair just yet because I need a relaxer. I am about 6 weeks post relaxer and I have begun to go at least 12-15 weeks in between relaxers. My last relaxer I underprocessed my hair and now the left back is way thicker at the root and draws up more than the right side. I feel that trimming my hair before I relax will result in uneven hair so I have been protecting my ends through baggying and cowahing to prevent further damage to my ends. Is it possible to prevent damaged ends from becoming even more damaged? Or should I just go ahead and trim now? What do you ladies feel is the first step?

Thanks
sweetcoco;)

I think the first, or most important, step is assessing the hair to see what it really needs (moisture or protein/Sistaslick's thread) and correcting the balance- then maintaining it. I do believe in dusting though, I hate raggedy ends! :lol:

Good thread :)

amr501 said:
I think the first, or most important, step is assessing the hair to see what it really needs (moisture or protein/Sistaslick's thread) and correcting the balance- then maintaining it. I do believe in dusting though, I hate raggedy ends! :lol:

Thank you for replying;) and I hate raggedy ends also, that is why I keep my ends tucked away.:lol: They are not that raggedy and it is mainly the top/crown area but when I do decide to trim my hair I will add more layers to the top. I was dusting my ends but I stopped because I am going to give myself a nice trim when it is time. My hair is growing and getting thicker (finally) so I must be doing something right.:yep: The hardest thing for me right now is balancing my moisture and protien (its confusing to me:look:). I have read sistaslicks thread and it helped alot but I am still slightly confused about when my hair needs moisture or protien.:scratchch I just do protein treatments every now and then and I apply moisture daily. I have alot of learning to do but the proccess is fun!:look:

Anyone else!:wink2:

amr501 said:
I think the first, or most important, step is assessing the hair to see what it really needs (moisture or protein/Sistaslick's thread) and correcting the balance- then maintaining it.

Very well said. I was going to say the same thing.

nelli711 said:

Very well said. I was going to say the same thing.

First, I must say your hair is beautiful.:eek: I really need to get the hang of the moisture and protein game.:yep:

Does anyone feel different about what the first steps to healthy hair care are?

amr501 said:

Yep, same hair and I hate raggedy ends too:D

i would say that you need to find a good light all natural hair oil, a great deep conditioner, and a good liquid leave in conditioner.

I think the most important thing is to learn to wash and condition your hair. Most people don't really know about conditioners so that is a learning process by itself. I don't think a trim should be the first thing, I think you should care for your hair at least a month or so before trimming so you only trim off what is necessary.

daedae157 said:
i would say that you need to find a good light all natural hair oil, a great deep conditioner, and a good liquid leave in conditioner.

Thanks for replying ;)

I agree with you and I really need to find a good hair care line that I can use exclusively. Yesterday I went to Giant Eagle and they had so many good hair care lines. I keep hearing good things about herbal essence hello hydration shampoo/conditioner but I chose Dove moisturizing shampoo and conditioner and I really like it but I still want to try hello hydration. :yep:

CAPlush said:
I think the most important thing is to learn to wash and condition your hair. Most people don't really know about conditioners so that is a learning process by itself. I don't think a trim should be the first thing, I think you should care for your hair at least a month or so before trimming so you only trim off what is necessary.

This really does make sense. ;)

For me it was giving up heat! It made the biggest difference for me, even if I slack on deep conditioning and any of the other factors my hair is still soooo much healthier than when I used heat regularly.

Trimming dead ends, starting out with healthy even ends is a great start. Then x-ing direct heat out of your regimen.

amr501 said:

I agree with amr501. Determine what your hair needs. If you have damaged ends. I believe you should get rid of that and start deep conditioning 2x weekly. Damaged Hair needs to be restored to a healthy state FIRST and that included weekly deep conditioning, rotating between a moisturizing conditioner and a light protein treatment, as amr501 stated:)

KiSseS03 said:
For me it was giving up heat! It made the biggest difference for me, even if I slack on deep conditioning and any of the other factors my hair is still soooo much healthier than when I used heat regularly.

I want to give up heat so bad but since my hair is not long it looks funny airdried, and I don't know how to rollerset to give my hair a straight look. I think once my hair gets to shoulder length I can eliminate all heat. However, I have reduced my heat usage. I don't have a hood dryer so I do not deep condition often but i do leave conditioner in my hair over night sometimes.

SvelteVelvet said:
Trimming dead ends, starting out with healthy even ends is a great start. Then x-ing direct heat out of your regimen.

I plan on trimming my ends once I get my next relaxer touch up. I underproccessed my hair badly six weeks ago and now my roots are more thick and puffy on the left/back side so I felt that trimming now would result in my hair being uneven.

tsmith said:
I agree with amr501. Determine what your hair needs. If you have damaged ends. I believe you should get rid of that and start deep conditioning 2x weekly. Damaged Hair needs to be restored to a healthy state FIRST and that included weekly deep conditioning, rotating between a moisturizing conditioner and a light protein treatment, as amr501 stated:)

I totally agree with this. My ends don't look bad so I think I can wait another 8 weeks (my 15 week stretch will be up :grin:) before I trim my ends.

First, if you have any dead/raggedy ends... chop those off...
Like the other ladies have mentioned, see if your hair needs moisture or protein. To stay on the side of safety, I would try to find a good moisturizing deep conditioner that your hair likes. Wash at least once a week and deep condition with heat for 15-20 minutes once a week. This should up the moisture balance in your hair.
Also, use a good moisturizing shampoo for your hair and a good leave in !

I hope you find your hair staples, I know it can be overwhelming on the board :lol: .

Britt said:
First, if you have any dead/raggedy ends... chop those off...
Like the other ladies have mentioned, see if your hair needs moisture or protein. To stay on the side of safety, I would try to find a good moisturizing deep conditioner that your hair likes. Wash at least once a week and deep condition with heat for 15-20 minutes once a week. This should up the moisture balance in your hair.
Also, use a good moisturizing shampoo for your hair and a good leave in !

I hope you find your hair staples, I know it can be overwhelming on the board :lol: .

Thank you,

It is very overwhelming there are so many good products to choose from. I am currently using Dove moisturizing shampoo and conditioner and I like it. from what the majority if you ladies are saying i guess I should go ahead and trim my ends anyway, hugh? One side of my hair is shorter than the other (due to my roots drawing up tighter on the left/back than the right/back) if I trim now will this result in my hair being uneven after my relaxer?

Thanks in advance! ;)

sweetcoco said:
Thank you for replying;) and I hate raggedy ends also, that is why I keep my ends tucked away.:lol: They are not that raggedy and it is mainly the top/crown area but when I do decide to trim my hair I will add more layers to the top. I was dusting my ends but I stopped because I am going to give myself a nice trim when it is time. My hair is growing and getting thicker (finally) so I must be doing something right.:yep: The hardest thing for me right now is balancing my moisture and protien (its confusing to me:look:). I have read sistaslicks thread and it helped alot but I am still slightly confused about when my hair needs moisture or protien.:scratchch I just do protein treatments every now and then and I apply moisture daily. I have alot of learning to do but the proccess is fun!:look:

Anyone else!:wink2:

Sweetcoco~I'm confused with you. Testing my hair strands and determining whether I need more moisture or protein is making me :wallbash: !

CAPlush said:

I agree with this.. the important thing I did when I first started to improve the health of my hair was to wash frequently and start deep conditioning treatments. As far as a trim... I just snip the tips of my hair but will probably do a good trim once I reach my hair goals.

amwcah said:
Sweetcoco~I'm confused with you. Testing my hair strands and determining whether I need more moisture or protein is making me :wallbash: !

Girl, yes I feel the same way! :yep:

I agree with everything said so far, and i'll add- take your Vits daily!!!! start off in small doses, and increase amount slowly over time until you find the right balance of vits for your body, skin and hair.

Exercises, vits, and plenty of water! Inside out! Take care of your body, and your body will take care of your hair!

InnerSoul said:
I agree with this.. the important thing I did when I first started to improve the health of my hair was to wash frequently and start deep conditioning treatments. As far as a trim... I just snip the tips of my hair but will probably do a good trim once I reach my hair goals.

I also started washing and cowashing frequently and it helped alot. I don't have a hood dryer so I don't deep condition my hair but I do sleep with conditioner in my hair over night. Dunno if it has the same benefits as DC'ing but I sure hope it does.:lol:

awesomely_nappy said:
I agree with everything said so far, and i'll add- take your Vits daily!!!! start off in small doses, and increase amount slowly over time until you find the right balance of vits for your body, skin and hair.

Exercises, vits, and plenty of water! Inside out! Take care of your body, and your body will take care of your hair!

I almost forgot about vitamins. I really don't know what kind of vitamins to take. I really need to up my water intake, I drink maybe 2 cups of water a day. :look: I know I can do better. I just had a baby so exercising is on my list of things to do.:yep:

For me it was also eliminating the heat and getting rid of my blowdryer. My hair is so much thicker now and it stays soft and moist. Heat really thinned and dried out my hair. Also, deep conditioning weekly has improved my hair significantly.

I know how challenging airdrying can be. I find that using the right leave-in (and not too much/too many diff product(s)) really does the trick for me. Now I prefer how soft and silky my hair feels when airdrying compared to how my hair felt with blowdrying.

sweetcoco said:
but I do sleep with conditioner in my hair over night. Dunno if it has the same benefits as DC'ing but I sure hope it does.:lol:

That's still deep conditioning and you are still getting the same benefits. As long as the bottle states that you have to leave the con in your hair for an extended period of time (ex.10-15) or explicitly states that it deep conditions you are deep conditioning. When I do my moisturizing deep con, I don't use heat. There are some cons that state a non heat alternative where you have to leave the con in your hair for a longer period of time(ex. ORS Mayo). So you don't have to have a hood dryer to deep condition.

Last edited:
For me:
1) stopped using heat (blow dryers, curling & crimping irons, straightening comb)
2) began adding moisturizers daily, concentrating on the ends to retain length
3) stopped touching up from roots to ends; only touched up the roots

Those 3 things were the initial steps to my healthy hair regimen (when I was relaxed :) )

Of course, you've gotten great advice already. I think you are definitely on the right track by getting a trim. Waiting until you get your relaxer would be better so you can assess the length better. I'm so glad I got a blunt trim/cut when I first started...I didn't want to have to worry about my hair growing out in various different lengths and then having to do a big cut later. I did have layers, but I let them play the catch up game as I lightly trimmed on a schedule. My hair breaks bad when I wait too long to trim, so I would have lost it eventually anyway. If you are just getting started and have never done a heavy protein treatment, it would be great it you did one a week before your relaxer. That will give your hair some added, necessary strength. Other than that, just figuring out a schedule for relaxing, washing and deep conditioning, trimming, protein, and whatever else you choose to do to your hair will help. Jotting them down on a calender ahead of time will help you stay on track and help when you need to go back and assess whether the regimen is actually working or you need to adjust some things. Hope this helps...here's to great growing!!!;)

Back