What have you found that loosens texture?

Blu217

I was wondering what non-chemical products or processes you've found that will loosen your curl pattern?

I've found that MSM has softened my new growth and made my hair much more combable.

Pantene Extra Liso Combing Creme did a nice job of smoothing edges.

My clear Jazzing cellophane seemed to create a mild relaxer-like result.

What's given you good softening/straightening results?

Blu217 said:
I was wondering what non-chemical products or processes you've found that will loosen your curl pattern?

I've found that MSM has softened my new growth and made my hair much more combable.

Pantene Extra Liso Combing Creme did a nice job of smoothing edges.

My clear Jazzing cellophane seemed to create a mild relaxer-like result.

What's given you good softening/straightening results?

OMG, I thought I was going crazy! I notice that my Jazzing Rinse (pink bottle, jet black, no perox. or amn.) would do the same for me. It makes my hair straighter. I thought it was in my head, but I used some tonight to finish off the bottle and it happened again. It ALWAYS happen too. good thing I am not alone.

Too bad this stuff is drying as ish!

Also I noticed and ACV rinse made my here weirdly soft and straighter too. I likey!

Nexxus Emergencee made my hair straighter too. Boy how I miss that stuff!

:D I was just about to post how I have rediscovered S-Curl texturizer spray in the Gray bottle with blue letters. This does wonders for my 8 week post relaxer hair. I also use the S-Curl texturizer gel and tie my hair with a satin scarf. In the morning it lays flat and is very manageable and easy to comb. This stuff is great for stretching relaxers and for detagling wet hair. You have to be careful though because if you use it too much it can make your hair mushy. I make sure that I balance this out with protien treatments.

Sunsilk De-Frizz 24/7 cream gave me less shrinkage. It was so weird because I'm not used to my curls being that long.

I remember someone posting that they left Dabur Amla oil on their hair for about 2 days and when they finally washed it out their hair was pretty straight.

I keep meaning to try this.:grin:

I can definitely say that Henna loosens my curls - quite significantly, in fact. I henna'd the first time on natural hair, and as soon as I was rinsing it out, I could see that my curl pattern has loosened.

I've started using a homemade Amla/Shikakai/Cayenne oil in my henna and DT's over the last two weeks, and it's ALSO loosening my curl some - I'm assuming it's the Amla or the Shikakai - I've never used them independantly..... Shoot, I keep messing around, I might end up with wavy hair.

nappywomyn said:
I can definitely say that Henna loosens my curls - quite significantly, in fact. I henna'd the first time on natural hair, and as soon as I was rinsing it out, I could see that my curl pattern has loosened.

I've started using a homemade Amla/Shikakai/Cayenne oil in my henna and DT's over the last two weeks, and it's ALSO loosening my curl some - I'm assuming it's the Amla or the Shikakai - I've never used them independantly..... Shoot, I keep messing around, I might end up with wavy hair.

Very interesting. I have heard of this before, but I have also heard of a lot of people who tried it and it didn't loosen their texture. What mix do you use?

MizaniMami said:
Buming, this is an intersting thread!

I agree! I'm REALLY trying to figure out how to detangle this ish on my head! I just hope it's not too late! I may get more damage by stretching just to 8 weeks. Maybe if I learn to control it, then I'll stretch all the time...still considering going natural....:grin:

ThursdayGirl said:
Very interesting. I have heard of this before, but I have also heard of a lot of people who tried it and it didn't loosen their texture. What mix do you use?

I honestly think that what makes the difference is how fine your hair is. Henna works by 'adding' it's molecules to your hair - if your hair is fine (like mine) then that additional 'weight' will pull the curls out a little.
If you hair is not quite so fine, I don't think that the effect will be the same. I've noticed that the change isn't AS significant with later henna's - but I can still see a bit of a change.
The Amla/Shikakai has made my curls looser and 'stickier' at the same time, so that they tend to spiral more together, rather than frizzing up.

The first time, I used henna from hennaforhair.com, red wine, water, and conditioner (White Rain, I think it was) (and maybe honey, but I can't remember) and I left it on for about - 12/14 hours?

Has anyone tried the coconut milk/lime mix that was referenced in a thread here?? I subscribed to it because it's a LOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGG thread, and haven't made my way through it. I might experiment with that at some point.

Henna and taking silica orally loosed my texture too much! :(

comp_silicahenna-vi.jpg

I stopped taking silica last month hoping the curl would return. I won't know for sure until takedown next month, but so far it doesn't look like anything has changed. :cry2:

ETA: I don't think this is common, I'm just using the opportunity to vent again. :)

Last edited:
nappywomyn said:
I honestly think that what makes the difference is how fine your hair is. Henna works by 'adding' it's molecules to your hair - if your hair is fine (like mine) then that additional 'weight' will pull the curls out a little.

This makes sense!

sareca said:
Henna and taking silica orally loosed my texture too much! :(

comp_silicahenna-vi.jpg

I stopped taking silica last month hoping the curl would return. I won't know for sure until takedown next month, but so far it doesn't look like anything has changed. :cry2:

ETA: I don't think this is common, I'm just using the opportunity to vent again. :)

How much silica were you taking?? I'd like to start taking some - but, I like my curls too!! And I'm still so amazed that it made ALLLLL of your hair straight - even the stuff that had already grown out....

nappywomyn said:
How much silica were you taking?? I'd like to start taking some - but, I like my curls too!! And I'm still so amazed that it made ALLLLL of your hair straight - even the stuff that had already grown out....

:yep: All the way down to the ends. I used to think supplements only affected new growth until this happened. :confused: I was taking Biosil liquid about 6 drops/day.

Last edited:
I'm actually worried that my curl is losening up too much...so I'm thinking about laying off the silica, horsetail, and MSM:ohwell:

I have to agree that henna loosened my hair a lot! It also made my hair a bit dry, I donno if the two are related.

sareca said:
:yep: All the way down to the ends. I used to think supplements only affected new growth until this happened. :confused: I was taking Biosil liquid about 6 drops/day.

So would you reccommend that one stop taking silica altogether if they want to keep their napps? I started the regimen after it was reccommended by Emboka and Den1?

cmw45 said:
So would you reccommend that one stop taking silica altogether if they want to keep their napps? I started the regimen after it was reccommended by Emboka and Den1?

Silica is supposed to be wonderful for hair. The first thing I noticed was my hair seemed coated from root to tip w/ a natural slip (great for hard water areas). But soon after that the straightening started. I thought it was nice at first, but it kept going. I can't even scrunch my hair into curls. But honestly, I don't think my situation is common. I don't know why this happened to me. But, I would watch my hair closely if I were you and if it starts straightening drop it!

trimbride said:
:D I was just about to post how I have rediscovered S-Curl texturizer spray in the Gray bottle with blue letters. This does wonders for my 8 week post relaxer hair. I also use the S-Curl texturizer gel and tie my hair with a satin scarf. In the morning it lays flat and is very manageable and easy to comb. This stuff is great for stretching relaxers and for detagling wet hair. You have to be careful though because if you use it too much it can make your hair mushy. I make sure that I balance this out with protien treatments.

I use something similar? Stay-Soft-Fro You have to use very little because it can make your hair too soft.

I wondering if I am alone with the ACV rinses.:confused:

I mean my hair is silky straight right now. Too bad because of the tangles I have to relax.

I think silica straightened my hair too :( That or braids. I noticed when I stopped taking silica, moreso when I took out my braids, that my roots looked less curly than usual.
I stopped taking silica ealier this year and now I have 2-3" of barely curly roots :mad:
I have to 'fluff' them up when I've washed my hair to stop the top getting flat.

John Frieda's Frizz-Ease RELAX creme works great. There's 2 you can try, one is "Moisture Remedy" and the other is "Straight Forward" which comes in a pump. I use it on my edges and my daughter's natural 3c/4a hair. You should be able to get it any retail drugstore or BSS.

Here's a picture of Straight Forward (don't confuse this with the Wind Down product)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ype=osi_widget

Here's a picture of Moisture Remedy (I don't know why but this one is harder to find in the drugstores)
http://cgi.ebay.com/JOHN-FRIEDA-FRIZ...QQcmdZViewItem

sareca said:
Silica is supposed to be wonderful for hair. The first thing I noticed was my hair seemed coated from root to tip w/ a natural slip (great for hard water areas). But soon after that the straightening started. I thought it was nice at first, but it kept going. I can't even scrunch my hair into curls. But honestly, I don't think my situation is common. I don't know why this happened to me. But, I would watch my hair closely if I were you and if it starts straightening drop it!

Sareca (and others), what brand of silica were you taking? I wouldnt mind my hair texture loosening. It probaby means i could stretch longer between touch-ups.

Last edited:
KiniKakes said:
Sareca (and others), what brand of silica were you taking? I wouldnt mind my hair texture loosening. It probaby means i could stretch longer between touch-ups.

I took this one. They don't ship internationally, but you can see what amount of things it's got in from the label on the website.

BrownSkin2 said:
I noticed that frequent CW loosened my curl pattern, but it tightened back up once I stop doing them so frequently.

I have had this happen to my hair. I CW almost daily with Suave Professional and VO5's. My curl pattern has loosened up so much. I hardly ever have to detangle now.

Adding coconut milk to a moisturizing deep conditioner loosens my new growth to a looser wave and makes it really soft and silky. Never tried it with lime juice, though.

Back