What has your natural hair taught you?...I have learned something about my hair.

Mandy4610

Being natural has helped me know why I had a problem with the hair on the back of my head when I was relaxed. I have discovered that the texture on the back of my head is very very different from the rest of my head.
I have very soft, not so thick hair at the back and very course hair in the middle and medium/course hair in the front.
When I self relaxed I always started in the back....big mistake, I should have always started in the middle. I am amazed at how hair texture can be so different on one head. If I ever go back to relaxing, I will keep this in mind and maybe at that point my hair would be healthier.
Anyway, this is what I have learned about my natural hair so far.

Thank you ladies

--That my hair is beautiful and not something to loathe, as I've done in the past.

--That there are still a lot of styling options for me to have with natural hair

--That I had different types of hair on my head. I always thought it was the same all over.

Those are all I can think of.

I have learned:

~That my natural hair is beautiful, so why hide it??

~That my natural texture is not just limited to fros (though I have been known to rock on on occasion :giggle:)

~That I have 3 different textures that have different needs

~That I don't need to keep my natural hair in protective styles (90%) for it to grow long and healthy

To be patient...My hair taught me that it loves when I take time to do it and that I dont slap just anything on it to fight it. I relearned to work with it and wheen I really dont want to I let it rest in braids and still pamper it with infusium and a light oil.

Being natural has helped me know why I had a problem with the hair on the back of my head when I was relaxed. I have discovered that the texture on the back of my head is very very different from the rest of my head.
I have very soft, not so thick hair at the back and very course hair in the middle and medium/course hair in the front.
When I self relaxed I always started in the back....big mistake, I should have always started in the middle. I am amazed at how hair texture can be so different on one head. If I ever go back to relaxing, I will keep this in mind and maybe at that point my hair would be healthier.

Thank you ladies

I have learned that I love my hair
That I dont have to put a lot of product in my hair for it to be moisturized
That if I dont detangle after every wash, I will get little knots
That I have to wash in sections so the detangling will be easier
Not to mess with my hair while its wet or it will get frizzy

Natural hair has taught me SIMPLICITY! even though I go back and forth, I learn more and more about my natural hair, My natural hair has spoiled me, by not having shed hairs everywhere, being able to hold onto sweet fragrances. everytime I relaxed again I regretted it! My natural hair does not like to be covered up it wants to be out LOL!!

The main things my natural hair has taught me:

Patience is key or it will have a difficult time trying to teach me about it (hair).

It is an adventure not a race to win. It is a lifestyle, learn it.

What works for some may not work for my hair.

I still don't know all there is to know about my hair.

Thank you ladies

You are so right. The texture at the crown of my head is different, and the scalp is very sensitive. The curl is even a little looser there. When I got perms I probably shouldn't have let it sit there that long. That's why it always fell out. :ohwell: That's what I learned.

Thanks for sharing.

I have also learned that with my natural hair, Hand in Hair syndrome has become worse:look:

I am still learning to be more patient.

So far I've learned that my natural hair suits me.
It has allowed me to see where my true beauty is. (Meaning my hair didn't make me)

My natural hair has taught me that my hair does GROW! lol

Simplicity is what works for me.

Thanks OP for a good topic. :-)

So far I've learned that my natural hair suits me.
It has allowed me to see where my true beauty is. (Meaning my hair didn't make me)

My natural hair has taught me that my hair does GROW! lol

Simplicity is what works for me.

Thanks OP for a good topic. :-)
\

No problem, thanks for replying!

Thanks for sharing.

I have also learned that with my natural hair, Hand in Hair syndrome has become worse:look:

I am still learning to be more patient.

Yeah I have HIA Disease too (hair in afro disease) LOL Its so bad to the point of obsessive compulsive

Anyway I've learned that
- I don't need a relaxer. Now I know why my hair would fall out when the stylist would put some strong relaxer in my hair. My 3b hair in the back never grew and now I know why.
- I can achieve the EXACT same straight look without adding chemicals
- My hair ISN'T indestructable. I still need to give it TLC and not go crazy with the flatiron
- My hair is beautiful!! When I wet my hair and see those curls pop... to me its a thing of beauty.
- I have so much to learn about my hair. I haven't mastered any curly styles yet, but I'm eager to learn.
- I HATE shrinkage. Something I didn't think I would even get. I am impatient when it comes to my natural hair. I hate the waiting game. For me to see it curly and APL I'll probably have to be waist length :-(

Last edited:
I have learned that I need to be more patient and realistic with my natural hair. I am relaxed now, but the one thing I have always wanted to do is learn how to style and nurture my hair. The scalp massages, the daily rinsing...really help my relaxed hair, too.:lachen:I hope one day to return back to natural hair....one day...:rolleyes:

I've learned that my hair is not what everyone told me it would be. Everyone said my hair would be hard to manage, dry, ugly, and wouldn't grow. None of these are true. My natural hair has defied all the myths.

bumping! Mine taught me the same thing the op's did. I used to wonder why I NEVER had any hair at the nape. Because it wasn't like the "nappy kitchen" my beautician thought. We should have done that part last if at all.

i have learned to loveee my hair and that a relaxer is NOT a must and that my hair does NOT need grease at all.

Thank you ladies

Big ups to Mandy 4610! I've been quietly following your hair journey and I'm so happy to see that you have a puff and that you are a happy natural!

Congrats!!!!!

it dosent like chems
it LOVES gel
butters do nothing for it
if i leave it alone it grows just fine

Big ups to Mandy 4610! I've been quietly following your hair journey and I'm so happy to see that you have a puff and that you are a happy natural!

Congrats!!!!!
ahhhhh, thank you so much. That means a lot to me. Inspires me to keep going on this journey. Thanks again!!!

That my hair is UNIQUE. No matter what any "expert" says my hair is not like anyone else's, nor does it fit in any one category (some parts are coily, others curly, others fuzzy, straight, etc) and that's okay...in fact, it's great!

Patience, patience, patience. My hair is only "difficult" when I try to force it to do something that it wasn't meant to do.

That I have a cowlick! One in the middle of my hair... that is where it would always break when I was relaxed. The smoothing against the way my hair grew weakened that area.
Good Post.

Mandy I learned a similiar lesson to yours, my nape turned out to be kinky and fine, the rest of my hair is medium to thick. So why was everybody, including myself having such a time with my nape? It just needed a little extra conditioning and moisturizing and extra gentle handling. Would never have figured this out if I hadn't been natural.

my hair has taught me that it likes to be left alone

it loves oil

it loves ACV

it loves to be natural but is nice enough to stay straight if i want it to. LOL

i have patches on my hair as well that dont curl but more waves... i have to take extra care to blend these areas in.

Back