What hair type am i??? photos inside. (POLL)

what hair type am i?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Qetesh

I finally got together some photos of my hair. natural and after a dominican blow out ;)

i am pretty confused about my hair type because its almost jhericurlish?? but then sometimes its more jus curlish and frizzy. when i look at other hair types or what people say they are it only confuses me more. i will admit that the top of my hair is more dollish, curly straighter than the sides and back so i could be a mixture.

so i have attached a poll and i will take the largest poll option voters and note that as my hair type
the first 2 photos are of a wash, i braided my hair in 2 braids then jus fluffed it out for the day, only product on my hair is hot six oil after some motions leave in conditioner. (i have since figured out better ways to define my curls :)) the straight photo is from feb 06 my hair has grown probably 4 inches since then but i had just had about 2 inches cut off when i got my hair done.

*** edit the beach pic is completly natural no product at all, i was young and on the beach i also didnt bring anything with me hehehehe
***edit again the last pic is of another braidout done after showering off some sand and putting some oil in my hair.

Attachments

• natural-hair-1jpg.jpg
    natural-hair-1jpg.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 490
  • naturalback.jpg
    naturalback.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 555
  • feb06.jpg
    feb06.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 463
  • naturalold.jpg
    naturalold.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 786
  • braidout.jpg
    braidout.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 445
Last edited:
Any pics of your hair when it hasn't been flat ironed or in a braidout of somesort? Or airdried with no product would help too.

true i might be able to find some old pic, ill look around for one.

i always put oil in my hair b4 letting it airdry tho.

here are some of my recent failed rollerset, not that this helps :(

but i did a horrible job setting my roots as you can tell :mad:

Attachments

• rollerset2.jpg
    rollerset2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 311
Qetesh said:
true i might be able to find some old pic, ill look around for one.

i always put oil in my hair b4 letting it airdry tho.

here are some of my recent failed rollerset, not that this helps :(

but i did a horrible job setting my roots as you can tell :mad:

Your hair is very pretty btw, I just can't tell what your true hair type is. It is better to see it unmanipulated from rollersetting (which can make the hair staighter, even if 'failed') or braidouts (which can make the hair more defined). Have you tried looking at the hairtyping photos at naturallycurly.com? I hope someone else can help.

i posted one with nothing added.

its a super old pic but my hair hasnt changed since i was natual then as i am now. its still hard to tell, and honestly i have trouble figuring it out myself... thanks for trying

Qetesh said:
i posted one with nothing added.

its a super old pic but my hair hasnt changed since i was natual then as i am now. its still hard to tell, and honestly i have trouble figuring it out myself... thanks for trying

Oooh now I see, IMO you are def. a 4a. It's very pretty!

LocksOfLuV said:
Oooh now I see, IMO you are def. a 4a. It's very pretty!

thanks in that pic i litterally came out of the ocean and ploped my hair up and let it dry.... so its about as poduct less and stripped as it can be,

i wish i had more pics like ones with my hair soaking wet i guess i need to take some. it jus looks like a huge jheri curl tho.

Lovely hair.

I don't do hair typing but the ocean pic is the exact same look as my 2 year olds. Tendrils on the end and fluffy roots, especially towards the front. I don't do gel on her hair, but that's what it would take to lay them down when I put her hair into a bun.

I co-wash with Vo5 strawberries/cream. That's the only way I can detangle. While it's wet...jherri curl time!!!

p1

patient1 said:
Lovely hair.

I don't do hair typing but the ocean pic is the exact same look as my 2 year olds. Tendrils on the end and fluffy roots, especially towards the front. I don't do gel on her hair, but that's what it would take to lay them down when I put her hair into a bun.

I co-wash with Vo5 strawberries/cream. That's the only way I can detangle. While it's wet...jherri curl time!!!

p1

thanks , my hair will lay down flat if i put a scarf over it while wet and let it airdry, if i let my hair airdry without anything like the beach pic it poofs out and the curls dont define much, i think i may have also brushed it to put it up in that one also. and the one with my hair down i let my hair airdry in 2 braids and then took it down for a few days :confused: i went 1 month without combing my hair :eek: so i had a sink full when i finally decided to straighten it so, in this pic i hadnt combed my hair in about 3 weeks. i was lazy and then read about hair on the forum and decided to take a pic, but honestly i am not even sure if thats a good representation of my hair froma braid out since they look different now that i started back combing my hair

Definately 3b/c. That's the same as my oldest's daughter's texture, it goes POOF if air dried with no product, but with a little moisturizer it can be brushed pretty sleek!

Attachments

• daddyandgirls.jpg
    daddyandgirls.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
kbragg said:
Definately 3b/c. That's the same as my oldest's daughter's texture:

Both of those girls are beautiful. Just a question though: Is your daughter relaxed in that pic or natural?

Because the OP's and your daughter's texture looks very different in my opinion.

kbragg said:
Definately 3b/c. That's the same as my oldest's daughter's texture, it goes POOF if air dried with no product, but with a little moisturizer it can be brushed pretty sleek!

Looking at the updated pic your little girl looks more like a 3a/2c.

LocksOfLuV said:
Both of those girls are beautiful. Just a question though: Is your daughter relaxed in that pic or natural?

Because the OP's and your daughter's texture looks very different in my opinion.

Thanks! I sooo want their hair! I changed out the pic to show her hair more texturized. No relaxer, just moisturizer cream and wet brushed (I know BAD, but it's the only way to tame it:look: ) Her hair definately looks like the OP's pic when she gets out the shower if I don't put product in right away. Her hair is sooo thick! I can only get 2 or 3 wraps around her pony with the ouchless bands.(She's killed so many combs it ain't funny!)

To the Original poster...does your hair get STRAIGHTER towards the roots or kinkier? Bot my daughter's get's straighter towards the roots especially Kayla! I was afraid she wouldn't get any curl when she was a baby:

Attachments

• Kayla1.jpg
    Kayla1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 80
LocksOfLuV said:

i would agree i think my hair is thicker than hers. but i guess if she has a relaxer its possible. if i straightn my hair keep it oiled nicely it doesnt frize if i wrap it up in humbid weather but it will form those larger curls like your daughter, but i feel like my texture is more coily than hers in any matter. i need to find some photos when i used gel to slick my hair back.

kbragg said:
Thanks! I sooo want their hair! I changed out the pic to show her hair more texturized. No relaxer, just moisturizer cream and wet brushed (I know BAD, but it's the only way to tame it:look: ) Her hair definately looks like the OP's pic when she gets out the shower if I don't put product in right away. Her hair is sooo thick! I can only get 2 or 3 wraps around her pony with the ouchless bands.(She's killed so many combs it ain't funny!)

To the Original poster...does your hair get STRAIGHTER towards the roots or kinkier? Bot my daughter's get's straighter towards the roots especially Kayla! I was afraid she wouldn't get any curl when she was a baby:

if anything my hair is very wavy toward the roots but not straight at all. i would agree your daughter looks more 2c/3a or maybe even 2b and i am most def not a 3a or 2c

LocksOfLuV said:
Looking at the updated pic your little girl looks more like a 3a/2c.

Kayla....possibly...Angel nah ah!:lachen:

Ok, she's gonna hate me forever for this one but this is a pic of her no product freshly washed (my inlaws who know nothing about black hair watched her while I was in the hospital and here's the end result)

Wow, looking back over 3 years they both look sooo different! My babies ARE GROWING UP!:(

ETA, Yes I know Kayla was huge!!!! 9 lbs 5 oz, 23 inches long....Thank God for C-sections!:eek: :lachen:

Attachments

• AngelandKayla2.jpg
    AngelandKayla2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
kbragg said:

Ok, she's gonna hate me forever for this one but this is a pic of her no product freshly washed (my inlaws who know nothing about black hair watched her while I was in the hospital and here's the end result)

http://images19.fotki.com/v36/photos/1/1025537/4194668/AngelandKayla-vi.jpg?1161872016

Wow, looking back over 3 years they both look sooo different! My bABIES ARE GROWING UP!:(

Awwww omg! those coils! That afro! Can I have her?

I would have nver thought her hair looks like that when untouched, beautiful either way but that afro pushed it for me!

kbragg said:

AngelandKayla-vi.jpg

Wow, looking back over 3 years they both look sooo different! My bABIES ARE GROWING UP!:(

wow her curl pattern is still alot larger than mine i would still say my hair is more coily but i would say she may be 1 or so grade up from mine. my hair will look more frizzy and the curls are tighter if i did the same thing to mine. she has very pretty hair tho. i guess hair type in general is very subjective.hey i jus found some pics of me with gel in my hair, all this is is me washing it and letting the gel set my hair. i just remembered i had these pics around, i put my hair up in one of those banana clip things after washing it and geling it up this works but my hair is left scrunchy and hard, i didnt know much about haircare then but this can break your hair off i didnt moisterize it at all jus wash condish and gel :ohwell:

Attachments

• gel.jpg
    gel.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 97
Aalize said:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

*wonders to self why 4A not 4B are not available as individual poll options*

i should have made 4a one of the choices instead of 3b.

that was my bad, i dont consider myself a 4b because i went about 4 months dogging my hair out and not even combing thro it, jus throwing it into a huge braid not even moistertizing it, and it never matted up or dredded on me, i have heard from other black females of this happening just from them not combing for a few weeks. but i guess there can be different sections to 4b hair as well, its all pretty subjective. i may be a 4a though??

You have a mix of defined and less defined curls so I think your hair is 3c-4a. It's very pretty by the way.

thanks to everyone for the compliments, i am leaning toward a 4a result. the main thing is i am happy with my hair regardless, i more or less wanted a general note to keep in mind when reading other posters likes/ dislikes as to how close to my hair type they are. most votes are between 3c-4a and 4a-4b so the natural medium is 4a :)

i will check up on it later

thanks everyone again for your opinions.

Back