What does your hair look like before getting a relaxer

Amour

I'm probably just over 8 weeks post a texturizer and wouldn't think of relaxer my hair yet b/c my new growth just isn't all that significant (maybe its the LHCF in me :grin: :grin: ).. so was wondering aside from time when do you relax your NG... how many inches do you have? or is it when it starts to become unruly or when its starts to look less cute

*posted this in the off topic by mistake*

Well I'm at 7 weeks texlax right now and everybody is different but I have about an inch or slightly more of new growth and I'm trying to stretch for three more weeks. I know I'll have about 2 inches at that point for sure.

If you're at 8 weeks with minimal new growth you certainly don't "need" to texlax if you don't want to.

I think it's the protein shakes and fish oil that I'm taking that is really speeding up my hair growth. Also I'm finally seeing length becuase of the texlax, when I was natural for six years and straightening my hair all the time, I never saw much length due to breakage (even though I was super careful). Now I use less heat, wash often and do my share of protective styling 50% of the time and I'm seeing the results. :)

lana said:
Well I'm at 7 weeks texlax right now and everybody is different but I have about an inch or slightly more of new growth and I'm trying to stretch for three more weeks. I know I'll have about 2 inches at that point for sure.

If you're at 8 weeks with minimal new growth you certainly don't "need" to texlax if you don't want to.

I think it's the protein shakes and fish oil that I'm taking that is really speeding up my hair growth. Also I'm finally seeing length becuase of the texlax, when I was natural for six years and straightening my hair all the time, I never saw much length due to breakage (even though I was super careful). Now I use less heat, wash often and do my share of protective styling 50% of the time and I'm seeing the results. :)

good for you lana.. Do you not have shrinkage with a text? I'm texturized yet find that I still have alot of shrinkage I can not actually see progress and I don't use heat so its getting really frustrating

I am texlaxed, on one side more than the other:look: But I do notice that I have shrinkage and I am 4 weeks post and can't really tell because I am texlaxed. I like the textured look on my hair and I will relax when it is too difficult to comb/style. This will probably be anywhere between 12 and 16 weeks:)

Texlaxing has been a learning process, and I am enjoying having textured hair:grin:

trimbride said:
I am texlaxed, on one side more than the other:look: But I do notice that I have shrinkage and I am 4 weeks post and can't really tell because I am texlaxed. I like the textured look on my hair and I will relax when it is too difficult to comb/style. This will probably be anywhere between 12 and 16 weeks:)

Texlaxing has been a learning process, and I am enjoying having textured hair:grin:

Are you more text or more relaxed if that makes sense? I think I may be exactly half half, I can't tell where my NG growth is which is frustrating... and I have shrinkage which is also frustrating. I also can't wear my hair out b/c its just like a fuzzy ball esp the ends which are severly under processed.

Being textured what have you learnt and enjoyed?

I relax straight. I am 8 weeks post now and aside from where my part it is, you would never know. I have close to 1.5-2 inches of newgrowth but I keep it soo moisutrized so I can hide is easier. I used garneir fructis smooth and sleek shampoo and conditioner last wash and my hair detangled so easily. I really was amazed. I usually look a H.A.M at this point but my hair still looks good. I rub extra moisturizier on my edges and use a soft brush to help make them look better. I cross wrap at night to help "smush" down the newgrowth and make my hair look straighter.

I'm 7 months post and I know nobody wants to hear this, but I have no problems stretching for a year. I'm braided now, but even when I'm not I still manage. It never really becomes unruly, but it stopped looking cute many many months ago.

101_0286-vi.jpg
<--- Oh my! :eek::ohwell:

Last edited:
sareca said:
I'm 5 months post and I know nobody wants to hear this, but I have no problems stretching for a year. I'm braided now, but even when I'm not I still manage. It never really becomes unruly, it stopped looking cute many many months ago.

101_0286-vi.jpg

:eek: *beats you*

sareca said:
I'm 7 months post and I know nobody wants to hear this, but I have no problems stretching for a year. I'm braided now, but even when I'm not I still manage. It never really becomes unruly, it stopped looking cute many many months ago.

101_0286-vi.jpg

That looks good to me... I stretched for a year and it doesn't look half as good. I'm happy I did it as it allowed my super thin, fine, limpy under processed strands get a chance as I then texturized and regained back thick and fullness although I did not retain any length... which was a major set back for me...

wow I thought you were 1 year post.. thats good growth for 7 months

Last edited:
gymfreak336 said:
I relax straight. I am 8 weeks post now and aside from where my part it is, you would never know. I have close to 1.5-2 inches of newgrowth but I keep it soo moisutrized so I can hide is easier. I used garneir fructis smooth and sleek shampoo and conditioner last wash and my hair detangled so easily. I really was amazed. I usually look a H.A.M at this point but my hair still looks good. I rub extra moisturizier on my edges and use a soft brush to help make them look better. I cross wrap at night to help "smush" down the newgrowth and make my hair look straighter.

im 8 weeks post too wish I had 1.5 inches.. I think I probably got about 0.5 :ohwell:

sareca said:
I'm 7 months post and I know nobody wants to hear this, but I have no problems stretching for a year. I'm braided now, but even when I'm not I still manage. It never really becomes unruly, but it stopped looking cute many many months ago.

101_0286-vi.jpg
Do you stay braided up for the entire between your relaxers?

Is there a particular reason you decide to stretch for so long?

Im researching in the event I decide to relax, so I am trying to get all the details.

I'm eights weeks post and I have about an inch of NG. I have to say my hair is still manageable. Usually, I look like a Thundercat.

OnAHairQuest said:
Do you stay braided up for the entire between your relaxers?
Since I joined LHCF I've been braided a lot more than I usual. Last year I was braided about 5 months out of the year. This year, I'm doing back to back so I haven't seen much of my hair.

OnAHairQuest said:
Is there a particular reason you decide to stretch for so long?
Habit. My mother didn't relax my hair at all. My first relaxer I was in college. She relaxed her hair once/year. I guess that's just what I learned to do. I actually wanted to start relaxing every 4 months, but that time has come and gone almost twice now.
verwirte_2.gif

OnAHairQuest said:
Im researching in the event I decide to relax, so I am trying to get all the details.
Braids definitely help. When I'm not braided it's buns or phony buns. :ohwell:

Last edited:
Ineedhair said:
I'm eights weeks post and I have about an inch of NG. I have to say my hair is still manageable. Usually, I look like a Thundercat.

Lol at Thundercat:lol:

I relax when I can't even comb thru the newgrowth anymore, which is usually at about 8 or 9 wks.

I really need to step up my game summet serious... sitting behind the computer getting all the information is not good enough i need to put it into action!!!

right now, my new growth looks a hot steamy mess. . . I honestly can't wait to get this next relaxer so I can start wrapping/ and air drying my hair again.

right now, I'm almost at a inch of new growth (because my new growth mini-waves are now tight coil curls, and they are REALLY hard to comb out dry)

So right now with it stretched the front parts of my hair (I can't judge the back of my hair) is right above my coller bone :) ) So I think I've reached my first goal. . but I can't tell just yet.

I won't relax until like the week of my birthday (June 10th-16th) (my b-days on the 16th)
* sorry about that whole rambling*

KissKiss said:
That looks good to me... I stretched for a year and it doesn't look half as good. I'm happy I did it as it allowed my super thin, fine, limpy under processed strands get a chance as I then texturized and regained back thick and fullness although I did not retain any length... which was a major set back for me...

wow I thought you were 1 year post.. thats good growth for 7 months

I stretched for a year last year too and I didn't get to keep my length either. I chopped it. I had too it was weak and thin. :ohwell:

Last edited:
I'm 5 weeks post going on six, u can see my hair as of today actually in my fotki in the starting over album, under May 2007, go take a look, not too bad. my natural hair was frizzy looking, so when its time for a relaxer my newgrowth is wavy and frizzy looking unless I wet hair and tie down witha scarf... when its time for a relaxer I'm normally co-washing, this time I'm trying to stretch 10-12 weeks, so starting next week its daily co-washing for me

Back