What does it mean when your hair never keeps any shine?

locabouthair

I have tried serums, color rinses, cold water rinses, oils, and flaxseed oil (well I wasn't that consistent with it) and my hair always looks so dull. Even after i moisturize and seal. It's really frustrating. Does the dullness have something to do with porosity or my cuticles? someone help me please.......

Sometimes my hair looks dull, too. When that happens, I usually clarify to remove any build-up. Also, not rinsing out all the conditioner leaves my hair dull, too. But I also read that type 4 hair doesnt have much shine to it anyway. Ill go and find the article.

shunta said:
Sometimes my hair looks dull, too. When that happens, I usually clarify to remove any build-up. Also, not rinsing out all the conditioner leaves my hair dull, too. But I also read that type 4 hair doesnt have much shine to it anyway. Ill go and find the article.

I agree on the clarifying part.

But I must say I personally think type 4s can have shine.

Also, a jet black rinse is heaven to me. Or you can get a clear rinse to help.

i forgot to mention I caliry about every 2 weeks and I have used a black and clear rinse before. i've never tried a jet black rinse though.

Lacio Lacio adds incredible shine to hair: give it a try one day: i read that Salerm21 has the same ingrediants.
~HTH~

Perhaps the products that you are moisturizing with are not penetrating the shaft? This could include your daily moisturizer, as well as deep conditioner. If they contain mineral oil or petroleum it could be drying out your hair instead of adding moisture.

WillyGWifey said:
Lacio Lacio adds incredible shine to hair: give it a try one day: i read that Salerm21 has the same ingrediants.
~HTH~

i just tried lacio lacio this weekend:lol: . that was the main reason i bought it for the shine. my ends came out a lot smoother but not much shine.

Have you tried an ACV rinse? Dull hair could mean the hair cuticles are not lying flat so they are not reflecting light. So after you clarify and DC with a moisturizing conditioner, do an ACV rinse. Then apply any of the products people recommend for shine. I think you'll be pleased. Also if you don't have a water filter, then your water may be hard and any alkalinity raises the hair cuticles making hair dull. That's another reason why an ACV rinse is a good way to conclude your wash.

Curly hair in general doesn't reflect light as much as straight hair, which is why natural hair appears to shine more when pressed straight. Since your hair is relaxed, you should be able to get a shine. It may not be like someone else's but it will be a shine nonetheless. When people talk about type 4 hair not shining, it's the natural hair due to the curls, but it does have a shine. Just not the same as type 3. But press it and you might not be able to tell the difference.

Last edited:
so anxious gel for a rollerset might be a good idea but i want something that would give me a shine on a daily basis and i wouldnt want to use gel everyday.

honiimy moisturizer doesnt have any mineral oil or petroleum, but i will check my conditioner.

nonie thanks for the reccomendation. the ACV rinse is something I never tried. hopefully it will work for me.

Back