What do you do when some hairs won't revert after a press?

I wonder....

Can hair be too fine and thin to use heat without permanent damage?

Any other fine-haired folks who have had the same problem? Or not?

Hey, Yankee! I'm soooooo sorry you're dealing with this problem ... and I totally feel your pain.

I am natural and I have a mix of fine and medium strands. My fine hair is located mostly in the front and sides of my head, plus the curl pattern is looser there too (3c). The crown and entire back half of my head is a strong 4a with mostly medium strands. I can straighten the back of my head with no problems, no damage ... nothing. However, with the front of my head, I'm dealing with this equation:

Fine strands + a loose curl pattern + thin density x heat = issues :perplexed

In this photo below, you can see where my bangs are heat damaged.

110609Girly1-vi.jpg

But, if I just scrunch my bangs with some curl cream (I use the green one from Garnier Fructis), I can make them curl back up.

110609Girly4-vi.jpg

I haven't been able to correct the problem even after numerous protein and deep conditioning treatments; however, I can at least mask it with the use of styling products.

Wow. I am so sorry to hear this.

Have you tried the Cherry Cola method or a beer rinse?

I've never heard of either of these, Zee. Thanks for the suggestion ... I'm off to Google them.

ETA: I didn't know if you were addressing me or Yankee. :)

Hey, Yankee! I'm soooooo sorry you're dealing with this problem ... and I totally feel your pain.

I am natural and I have a mix of fine and medium strands. My fine hair is located mostly in the front and sides of my head, plus the curl pattern is looser there too (3c). The crown and entire back half of my head is a strong 4a with mostly medium strands. I can straighten the back of my head with no problems, no damage ... nothing. However, with the front of my head, I'm dealing with this equation:

Fine strands + a loose curl pattern + thin density x heat = issues :perplexed

In this photo below, you can see where my bangs are heat damaged.

110609Girly1-vi.jpg

But, if I just scrunch my bangs with some curl cream (I use the green one from Garnier Fructis), I can make them curl back up.

110609Girly4-vi.jpg

I haven't been able to correct the problem even after numerous protein and deep conditioning treatments; however, I can at least mask it with the use of styling products.

This was such a useful post, I had to quote it in full!

Thank you sooooo much for your commiseration. It looks like we are dealin with the exact same problem! I cannot believe the "ends" (more like half the length) of those bangs! Grrrr :nono::wallbash: Your hair indeed has a similar texture to mine when mine has been recently washed (it roughens up over the days, like yours probably does).

I'm frankly shocked that styling products worked for you as well as they are doing. I tried gels, leave-in-conditioners, and a Garnier curl scrunching spray, and I even twirled the straight ends a bit, but then they just ended up as elongated "s" 's which looks weird mixed in with tight corkscrews that are several inches shorter.

I'm not happy that my hair is above my shoulders when the shrinkage kicks in in the days after washing...but it's better than having droopy hay sticking out of my cloud of curls!

Today was the second time i flat ironed my hair after the BC, the first time i was scared as hell because with the shampoo on, my hair felt straight. What i did, was wash my hair with Herbal Escensse Totally Twist, and my curls came back.

The first day the hair was kind of wavy, but the second day was curly as usual.

Can hair be too fine and thin to use heat without permanent damage?

Any other fine-haired folks who have had the same problem? Or not?

I've never experienced this myself. I straighten my hair maybe once a year either by blow dryer or flat iron. I'm very diligent about using heat protectants and I don't apply anymore heat past the initial straightening session.

However, I do believe there are people who just can't straighten their hair without visible damage. Has this ever happened to you before? It's very possible the Instyler is the culprit.

Back