14.Knowing exactly what you hair needs
15.Patience
16.Being gentle to your hair

I have to add...

Braid Outs
Twist Outs

1. Top Knots
2. Buns
3. Patience---Sometimes it can take me a day . . . or two to get my hair shampooed, well-conditioned and braided up, then styled with no assistance. Not even from my mother . . . a former hair stylist!
shocked.gif

1.self relaxing - PHD
2.washing - PHD
3.conditioning(protein or moisturizing)- PHD
4.protective styling
5.product selections
8.clippimg ends
8.Developing and sticking to a regime
9.Roller-setting - PHD
11.Hot oil treatments -PHD
12.Airdrying
15.Patience
17. Hi-Lites/Color

I have mastered in my journey to accomplish longer healthier hair.
1.self relaxing
2.washing
3.conditioning(protein or moisturizing)
4.protective styling
5.product selections

8.clipping ends (oh yeah, I am an expert in triming my own hair)

10.Henna treatments
11.Hot oil treatments
12.Airdrying

14.Knowing exactly what my hair needs
15.Patience
16.Being gentle to my hair

Zanna

mastered:
washing
conditioning (moisturizing)
protective styling
consistency with supplements
sticking to my regime
product selections (or lack thereof)
laugh.gif

in training:
hot oil treatment consistency
patience
being gentle to your hair

Shampooing and conditioning.

Conditioner washes.

Being gentle with my hair.

Rollarsetting.

Looking after my hair during exercising days so it no longer sheds.

Sticking to one hairdresser for touch ups.

Finding a hairdresser that knows how to truly trim, not cut.

Knowing how to grow relaxed hair long.

shampooing and conditioning
rollersetting (hard masters to earn)
properly moisturizing
trimming my ends

Still working on associates in
self relaxing
protective styles (like to wear my hair down)

2.washing
3.conditioning(protein or moisturizing)
4.protective styling
6.Diet including supplements
- I basically take a multi-vitamin daily.
8.clipping ends
9.Roller-setting
12.Airdrying
- Still Learning!
15.Patience

I hope to earn my bachelors in self-relaxing next year, then I'll move on to my masters if all goes well.

The only thing I've probably mastered is being gentle to my hair. Everything else is still a work in progress. I'm really jealous of those who can clip their own ends!

I do an excellent job of setting my own hair and knowing what and when to use certain conditioner. I know how and how not to handle my hair.

I have a masters in:

Washing & Conditioning
Product Selections
Rollarsetting
Knowing exactly what my hair needs and when
Airdrying

Without a doubt, my PHD is in color with a concentration in maintaining hair that is relaxed and colored.
smile.gif

I also have a masters in encouraging a natural looking curl on relaxed hair. All my friends are doing it now!
clap.gif

Tracy,

What do you tell people about getting a natural looking curl in relaxed hair? This is something I'd like to master since I'm transitioning!

The primary ingredients for a natural looking curl on relaxed hair are:

conditioner
curl spray or gel and/or styling creme
serum

Some people may not need the styling creme and the curl spray togther. I can do without the styling creme in a pinch for instance - but not both.
smile.gif

The products I use to achieve my curl vary, but for the most part I use the following:

Any leave in or lightweight rinse out conditoner will do. Lately, I've had fab results with Sebastian Moisture Base. Again, any conditioner that you like that isn't too heavy and doesn't have too many cones will work. I wouldn't go for instance with a cholesterol conditioner.

I religiously use and will never give up John Freida Dream Curls. That's the curl spray that does the trick on my hair. A good gel that has a similar purpose is KMS curling balm. Either will effect the same results - to encourage and hold the curl in the hair minus crunch (a determining factor for me). If you have a hard time with the sprays and gels some people's hair responds better to non-alcohol mousse. John Frieda's Frizz Ease line has one that is superior.
smile.gif
Point? You need something to encourage the curl.

The styling cremes (I like Salon Selectives Loosely Defined and my favorite is L'oreal UnFrizz Taming Creme) are optional but they give a nice finished look and some control if your hair tends to get too big as it dries.
smile.gif

The serum is key. I've experimented a lot and you need a good thick one. I like Keracare's Silken Seal. It should go after the conditioner and the creme's but before the spray. The product encouraging the curl should be the last to go on.

The rest is in the technique. I lightly wrap a towel around my head after washing just so it's not soaking wet. A minute or two - tops. Then I apply a tablespoon size of conditioner (mostly to the last 3 inches of my hair) and the styling creme if I'm using one. Then I tie my edges with a satiny rectangular shaped scarf (I mention the shape only because it should extend back toward the crown only about 2-3 inches - otherwise the top of the hair will be flat). I leave the scarf on until it's mostly dry and to the the area that's left free I apply the curl spray liberally and then the serum.

Then I DO NOT TOUCH IT, DO NOT TOUCH IT, DO NOT TOUCH IT (can you tell this is important?
laugh.gif
) until it's 75% dry. It should feel slightly damp but mostly dry to the touch. At that point I lightly gather just the tips of my hair in my fists and squeeze gently. That helps encourage the curl on the strands that aren't going with the flow. It helps to bend over and let gravity help spearate the strands from one another to give a nice, full appearance.
smile.gif

Class dismissed.
laugh.gif

I thank you for the detailed tutorial, Tracy!
kiss.gif

I also prefer the natural looking ringlets I get styling with just conditioner, a leave in, and serum. Less heat is better.

I'm definitely abusing my hair far less than I used too, thank God
laugh.gif

I know I've mastered in

-conditioning (protein & moisturizing)
-Roller-setting
-Being gentle to your hair*****
clap.gif

bump
Tracy,do you think your method of achieving curls would work on 4b type relaxed hair?I don't have any curls whatsoever when my hair is wet.And my hair airdries straight with a slight wave.

Also,it seems you do not apply the Dream Curls to your wet hair..is that right?Do you apply it when it is 50% dry and then start scrunching when it gets drier?

Back