What are your sacrificing for long/healthy hair???

Leslie_C

Lately, my sacrifices have been mainly style. ha...The bun or a tucked under ponytail is boring but its easy. Im the type who only thinks I look good with my hair down. I try to play it up with makeup and cute accessories but I wonder if ppl think I look rough...lol. Today at work I was talking to a girl about hair products,salons, etc. and she was like, "well your hair is a nice LENGTH..." it almost seemed like she wanted to say "BUT..." ...."it looks jacked up" or "...u need to do something with it"...hahaha...
laugh.gif

Now mind u Im 10 weeks post relaxer and my hair is sitting on top of a minifro so I guess Im a little sensitive!
blush.gif

Other than that, Ive given up heat(blow dryers and curling irons) for the most part, Ill probably only use heat at the salon or seldomly flat iron with my CHI. That was tough for me, I used to use it every day back in the day...this better pay off!

what about u ladies?

I hear ya Leslie
laugh.gif
i'm sacrificing looking cute. I think relaxed hair looks cute and i think natural hair looks cute, but my relaxed hair "sitting on top" of my baby-fro is just breaking a whole lot of rules
lachen70.gif
i touched up 4 weeks ago and the relaxer didnt take for like the first time EVER so now i feel like i have about 4 months of growth on my head right now
look.gif
-- jainygirl

Me too. I don't look cute with my hair up, but I don't look cute with my hair short either so I don't have many options. My forehead is about three feet wide so buns don't really flatter my face.
frown.gif
I tried to wear bangs but it makes my forehead break out, (wide pimply forehead= NOT cute!) Plus, wearing my hair pulled back makes my nose look wider and I can't wear my glasses with a bun because well, that would only make things worse. I have to wear contacts all the time when I wear my hair up and that is making my eye sight worse! So in actuality, I am sacrificing my sight for my hair.
lachen70.gif
WOW! I think I'd better get braids!

I sacrificed my long hair for short natural hair
ohwell.gif
to grow out long natural hair.. I hate short hair, but I knew that I would have caved in and relaxed again if I didnt do the BC.

I'm sacrificing style big time. Before trying to grow my hair, my hair was always done. If I wore it in a ponytail to work, I'd get cussed out and scolded by my co workers. Now it's permanently in a bun and I don't look the least bit attractive with my hair pulled back from my face. But I keep telling myself that it's worth it to accumulate length.

My sacrifices include wearing protective styling everyday (except for during the week of my touchup every 12 wks.), and not using any heat. So far, I've kept this up for about 6 mths. now.
smile.gif
It's hard at times but the results I'm getting make it all worthwile.
grin.gif

Ayeshia, you'll see your long natural hair with the TLC you're giving it! Your hair is doing just great. Look at it as an investment rather than a sacrifice!
wink.gif

gettin cornrow braids for protective styles i feel that my hair is a different texture since i went 10 weeks post relaxer it s def. thicker im so use to my stylists straightin my hair to bone straight wit my usein rollers for body but im goinin to get to tha bottom of bra strap by tha end of september who knows i might even be farther than than that.tha vits might have sumthin to do wit it

LOL thx for letting me know Im not alone girls!

HoneyRockette, that is hilarious, I have a huge forehead too, my sister calls me melon head....lol. HAHA @ u sacrificing your sight for hair!!

Im driving myself nuts and depressing myself, maybe Ill feel better when I get it done friday! I think I will wear it in a bun about 4 days a week and a braidout the other days for a while. maybe even break out the instantweave and some phony ponies to break up the monotony!(sp)

[ QUOTE ]
ReaLuvsAOxymoron said:
A dry neck...

[/ QUOTE ]

lachen70.gif
LOL
Thank goodness I look good in a bun!!
smile.gif
I hate to wear my hair down anyway, because it is medium length, the kind that is always blowing in the wind and I am always having to fix myself in a window or a mirror! When it's longer, hopefully, I won't have to do so much fixing. I have basically sacrificed the pleasure of seeing my hair. Most times it is damp and I just put it in a bun. I miss the feeling of dry, straight hair, though I am getting used to my wavy, damp hair. I have sacrificed the blow dryer, flat iron and curling iron and I don't regret it. More than anything I have sacrificed all of the extra brain cells that I am devoting to LHCF, product selection, inspecting new growth and overall thought put into my hair care! I have never thought this much about my hair in my entire life! It sure better pay off!
lachen70.gif

I'm sacrificing style for the dreaded bun too! I keep telling myself its temporary. I wore a "vaseline" bun for two weeks in between braids. I liked the fact that I could con wash everyday since I was wearing a bun. I was so glad to get braids again. I'm going to be on a bun challenge after my braids because I am determined to make bra strap by year's end. I'm almost there so I know this sacrifice will pay off in the end.

ya know I just thought of something, it reminds me of when I first started working out and felt fat and disgusting in my workout clothes at the gym and was "the fat girl" in class...it was just something I had to go through in order to get the weight off. Eventually as I lost weight I felt comfortable in my workout clothes and even started weating tank tops and bootcut stretch pants.

Same thing with hair...I might have to go around looking less than my best for a while, but its all for a purpose! But Ill tell u one thing, when I get to goal, no granny buns for me! I still wont use heat often but I think I can maintain the length with a good consistent regimen. Ill be all about rollersets, braidouts, and occasional blow outs...

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
ya know I just thought of something, it reminds me of when I first started working out and felt fat and disgusting in my workout clothes at the gym and was "the fat girl" in class...it was just something I had to go through in order to get the weight off. Eventually as I lost weight I felt comfortable in my workout clothes and even started weating tank tops and bootcut stretch pants.

Same thing with hair...I might have to go around looking less than my best for a while, but its all for a purpose! But Ill tell u one thing, when I get to goal, no granny buns for me! I still wont use heat often but I think I can maintain the length with a good consistent regimen. Ill be all about rollersets, braidouts, and occasional blow outs...

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif
Be encouraged girls!!!
4_7_8.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
Same thing with hair...I might have to go around looking less than my best for a while, but its all for a purpose!

[/ QUOTE ]You couldn't have said it any better!

I sure did have my 'ugly' days, where I seemingly was able to convince myself that my hair was 'it', lol. My mom would always say "you need to do something with your hair", up until Easter when she actually complemented my hair
smile.gif
. As every day passes, my hair looks better and better, though.

As far as sacrificing, I haven't visited a hair salon in years, and have not been to any braderies in almost 2 years
frown.gif
-- I won't even get started on my experiences! But generally I've come a looooong way from what my natural hair used to LOOK like
antlers.gif
and what I used to DO to it
whip.gif
-- WHOOOOOO... I won't know where to start! You transitioners are WAY ahead of my hair when I was starting out. WAY ahead.
up.gif
So I say, keep going ladies!

If anything, I am probably sacrificing style though it is not a big deal to me b/c there are only so many styles I can do right now anyway.

I am definantley sacrificing the luxury of wearing my hair down, especially during these summer days. I'm the type of person that thinks that I look better with my hair down, but the other day a lady told me that I was pretty, and my hair was in a bun! so I guess will try to suck it up and keep my hair pinned up for a while.

I hate to give up style so I won't. I am with that girl at your job, what's the point of having nice long hair tucked in all the time. Show it and grow it girl. It can be done.

I am definitely sacrificing style. I liked my braidouts but the further away from my last touch up the more my hair tangles soI had to give them up. So for now it's a pile of relaxed hair in the middle of a small afro. I'm 14 weeks post relaxer.

My goal is within reach so I will continue with my 'no style having butt' I can see the finish line.

I think that I am sacrificing working out. I have a press and if I can't use heat, it's challenging to work out and not retouch my roots from sweat. So, I still don't have my 6 pack. I could use a little tummy toning. : )

However, the hair is the woman's crown of glory so I've got to get my crown together so others feel like I look as goregeous as I want them to think I am.

Is that mentally ill?

I'm definately sacrificing style. My hair is not cut into a nice shape, so the 2-strand twists started to look funny to me. I'm currently doing the baggie method, and I think my head is too big & my hair is too thick for it. However, it's easy to do in the morning, and I have to wash my hair frequently now because of working-out & having a sensitive scalp.

I'm sacrificing playing with my hair. If I could I would blowdry it into a huge fro everyday. But its growing so good right now, so Im having fun with extensions and leaving my hair alone...but still, I can't wait to my real hair reaches my goal length.

Length for thickness. I just trimmed my hair again so that my sides look more even with the back of my hair, therefore, making it thicker. I hate that my sides are shorter. I just want it all to be one even length so I trim little by little...

[ QUOTE ]
ubavka123 said:
Thank goodness I look good in a bun!!
smile.gif
I hate to wear my hair down anyway, because it is medium length, the kind that is always blowing in the wind and I am always having to fix myself in a window or a mirror! When it's longer, hopefully, I won't have to do so much fixing. I have basically sacrificed the pleasure of seeing my hair. Most times it is damp and I just put it in a bun. I miss the feeling of dry, straight hair, though I am getting used to my wavy, damp hair. I have sacrificed the blow dryer, flat iron and curling iron and I don't regret it. More than anything I have sacrificed all of the extra brain cells that I am devoting to LHCF, product selection, inspecting new growth and overall thought put into my hair care! I have never thought this much about my hair in my entire life! It sure better pay off!
lachen70.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
You said it all!!!
smile.gif
My hair is at this in-btwn length. It's not really long, not short, but super medium and mediocre to me. I'm hoping once I get to September and finally use some heat and straighten this stuff off maybe I'll be okay w/the length. But for now I'm sacrificing when it comes to looks. I don't know what to do w/it, b/c it's getting too long for clips, too short for a nice pretty ponytail and then it's so danggit big b/c I'm air drying. Yesterday the Mister said my hair looked real Jewish (no offense meant to anyone) but
laugh.gif
. He said it was part straight, but still curly and curly but a little nappy.
lachen70.gif
That boy doesn't hold any punches!
lachen70.gif

I sacrificed certain styling options that I liked with straight hair to go natural again (I had past bra strap length natural hair got a relaxer and my hair fell out/broke off) My hair is also at the in between stage where it's too long for cute short natural styles and too short for some of the cool things I used to do when I had long hair

Back