what are your best drugstore/grocerystore picks?

ms*x

i am going to be strapped for cash while pursuing a new career and wanted to regulate my hair purchases to my local cvs/walgreens/grocery stores, etc. what picks have you found in these places that are awesome? i really don't have any products that i have bought repeatedly from these places, so i could really use ideas for:
shampoo
conditioner
deep conditioner
leave-in
anything else that may be helpful.

also, what lines do you think are the best?

thanks in advance.

Any of the Sunsilk 24/7 cremes for leave-ins according to your needs. These cremes are wonderful. I use the Hydra TLC, Straighten-up and De-Frizz cremes.

I've never used the poos, condishs, masks or sprays. If they work like the cremes do, you won't have a problem using drugstore brands.

I've also heard that the L'Oreal Vive Pro line is good. I just bought some condish for co-washes, but haven't used it yet.

One suggestion, you might want to get a Sally's card. Many of their professional products have a deeper discount when you use the card. For example, I buy the Generic Nexxus Therappe and Humectress in a two pack. The regular price is $6.99. With the card it is $5.99, which is like getting one of the free since the regular price of the products are $5.99 each.

Don't apologize, I love talking products, especially cheap ones.

My drugstore picks

conditioners: pantene relaxed and natural mask (great deep conditioner), queen helene cholesterol, garnier sleek and shine conditioner(great for detangling 8 weeks post), sunsilk hydra care conditioner (pink bottle), aussie 3 mintue miracle

shampoos- sunsilk hydracare(pink bottle), creme of nature (green one)

Leave in conditioners: any of the sunsilk 24/7 leave in creams, I currently and using the purple one for my rollersets, garnier sleek and shine leave in cream

I LOVE cheap products. I can afford it but why....if you know how to use products, they can work for you.

Sunsilk
Garnier Fructris
Suave
Dove

I also wanted to add that Herbal Essences Break Free line is nice, especially the leave in cream.

Don't forget to check stores like Dollar Tree. I buy my sunsilk stuff from them for nearly half price.

I forgot about Suave. I've had good experiences with their Professionals Extra Strength Shampoo as a protein shampoo and their Extra Strength Leave-in. I use that at least four times a week on dry hair. Both have cerimades.

I use Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo for one lather every two week to clarify. I dab of it is also good for washing out plastic caps. The Tropical Coconut Condish is good for for pre-poos.

I keep some Suave Professionals Humectant poo around just in case I run out of Sally Generic Therappe. I haven't had to use it yet.

conditioner Nexxus Humectress, Motions Moisture Plus, Suave Tropical Coconut
deep conditioner Nexxus Humectress, Moistions Moisture Plus
leave-in SunsilkTLC (its creamy!)
anything else castor oil, ORS Olive Oil Cream, Nexxus Emergency, Nexxus Keraphix, Motions CPR
also, what lines do you think are the best? As u can see--I luv Nexxus and Motions!

Tressemme Smooth and Silky Conditioner
Trader Joe's NourishSpa Shampoo and Conditioner
Coconut Milk
Sunsilk 24/7 Leave-In Cream (in the Pink bottle)

Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Con
Activate Hair Repair Mask
Activate Hydrate Shampoo
Aussie 3 Min Miracle
Tresseme Heat Protectant
Organix Coconut Milk Con

Cream of Nature Shampoo--green label
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner
Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Deeeep Conditioner
ORS Olive Oil Hair Lotion

Any of the Sunsilk 24/7 cremes for leave-ins according to your needs. These cremes are wonderful. I use the Hydra TLC, Straighten-up and De-Frizz cremes.

I've never used the poos, condishs, masks or sprays. If they work like the cremes do, you won't have a problem using drugstore brands.

I've also heard that the L'Oreal Vive Pro line is good. I just bought some condish for co-washes, but haven't used it yet.

One suggestion, you might want to get a Sally's card. Many of their professional products have a deeper discount when you use the card. For example, I buy the Generic Nexxus Therappe and Humectress in a two pack. The regular price is $6.99. With the card it is $5.99, which is like getting one of the free since the regular price of the products are $5.99 each.

I GOT A SALLY'S CARD!!!!!
thanks for reminding me about that...i have used the sunsilk hydra tlc leave in and the best thing about it is the smell...yummy!
i really want to try that loreal vive pro line but didn't know which one got the thumbs up from everyone.

Don't apologize, I love talking products, especially cheap ones.

My drugstore picks

conditioners: pantene relaxed and natural mask (great deep conditioner), queen helene cholesterol, garnier sleek and shine conditioner(great for detangling 8 weeks post), sunsilk hydra care conditioner (pink bottle), aussie 3 mintue miracle

shampoos- sunsilk hydracare(pink bottle), creme of nature (green one)

Leave in conditioners: any of the sunsilk 24/7 leave in creams, I currently and using the purple one for my rollersets, garnier sleek and shine leave in cream
okay...garnier is one that i've had my eye on for quite some time because it's ALWAYS on sale...it's always about $2-$3 for each product...the gel is a staple for me - i ALWAYS have it on hand and it's wonderful. i am definitely gonna try the conditioners.

I LOVE cheap products. I can afford it but why....if you know how to use products, they can work for you.

Sunsilk
Garnier Fructris
Suave
Dove

now, i've used suave for co-washes and have really like it...i tried the dove smoothing lotion, i think it's called, and it smelled heavenly and actually felt good (i slipped a little on my hair while in the store...shhhh!)

SOOOOO...the trader joe stuff is really that good, eh? funny - i've never thought about getting any hair products from them even though i do all my grocery shopping there...DUH! i cannot WAIT to try the herbal essence...sheesh! how am i gonna be able to afford all of this "trying out"? :lol:
i'm just gonna buy whatever is on sale and try it and rate it...hey! that's a good thing to have on my fotki - a section rating cheap-o products!

i think i'll start today...

gosh - i don't know what i'd do with you ladies of lhcf...i'm so in love with the lot of you!

Last edited:
I loooove inexpensive easy to find products!!

Africa's Best Liquid Mayo leave-in
castor oil
White Rain Tropical Coconut conditioner
Garnier Sleek & Shine Fortifying Cream Conditioner
Motions Moisture Plus
CON Detangling poo (green)
Hollywood Beauty Carrot Creme
Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil Treatment
Trader Joe's Nourish Spa poo & condish
LeKair Cholesterol
Softee Coconut oil
Softee Indian Hemp
Dove Sheer Moisture Mist
Pantene Breakage Defense Mask

Don't let prices fool you, there are a lot of great cheap products out there!

I GOT A SALLY'S CARD!!!!!
thanks for reminding me about that...i have used the sunsilk hydra tlc leave in and the best thing about it is the smell...yummy!
i really want to try that loreal vive pro line but didn't know which one got the thumbs up from everyone.

You will like your Sallys card. I should have got one a month earlier than I did.

The Sunsilk cremes have been my best products. I found them on sale at Target.

For the Vive Pro, I got the Smooth Intense for dry, medum hair. It's the one with the green box on the bottom. It is said to be moisturizing. I have naturally dry hair, use a no-lye relaxer and permanently color my hair. I need all the moisture I can get. I'll be trying a co-wash with it soon. I think the Nutrigloss, (pink botte), is good for protein.

Last edited:
NTM Cream Lather Shampoo
NTM Daily Deep Conditioner
NTM Healing Shine Serum
NTM Silk Touch Leae-in Cream
AUSSIE Moist
TRE'Semme Vitamin E Moisture Rich Conditioner
TRE'Semme Anti-Breakage Conditioner
GARNIER Fructis Length & Strength Shampoo, Conditioner and Leave-in
GARNIER Fructis Fortifying Deep Conditioner
Straight Arrow's Mane-n-Tail Original Formula Shampoo, Conditioner & Detangler
V05 Daily Hair Recovery Conditioner

Cream of Nature Shampoo
Pantene Relaxed and Natural Conditioner and Mask(is almost always on sale at drugstores plus if you look in the Sunday paper you can find coupons)

okay - in addition to the hollywood beauty carrot oil that came with the moisturizing conditioner FREE all for $3, i purchased a conditioner for $2 that is AWESOME! it's called LA BELLA PROFESSIONAL FORMULA LOS CABALLOS CONDITIONER...it's the spanish version of MNT. well, it's lovely for pre-poo'ing.

here's the site:
http://labellabeauty.com/index.php

I'm on a supertight budget so I rely on grocery store products. My favorites right now are:

EVOO
Eggs
Sauve coconut something or other con.
Nature's gate shampoos- Tea tree for when my scalp is flaky, herbal when it's not.
Sauve clarifying shampoo for oily hair. Works really well doesn't strip my hair.

And the best of the best, Lekair cholesterol Con. I. Love. This. Stuff.

Sunsilk
Garnier Fructris
Suave
Dove

I don't know why but as I read this I swear I could hear the suave voice over: "If you can't tell the difference, why pay the difference?" :lachen:

I love the Suave, Dove and Sunsilk. I'm using the Suave Extreme as a cheap alternative to the Redken line since they claim to be just as effective. We'll see...

I forgot about Suave. I've had good experiences with their Professionals Extra Strength Shampoo as a protein shampoo and their Extra Strength Leave-in. I use that at least four times a week on dry hair. Both have cerimades.

I use Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo for one lather every two week to clarify. I dab of it is also good for washing out plastic caps. The Tropical Coconut Condish is good for for pre-poos.

I keep some Suave Professionals Humectant poo around just in case I run out of Sally Generic Therappe. I haven't had to use it yet.

Daisimae,If I'm not mistaken, you were the one who mentioned these Suave products in the ceramide thread. If it was, BIG THANK YOU!!! I love that stuff so much I cleaned Kroger out :lachen:. The leave in is so hard to find. I stumbled onto the humectant but I switched to the NTM line after reading Sistaslick's article on moisturizing poos with little or less harsh sulfates. Now I'm mixing it to use it up.

Daisimae,If I'm not mistaken, you were the one who mentioned these Suave products in the ceramide thread. If it was, BIG THANK YOU!!! I love that stuff so much I cleaned Kroger out :lachen:. The leave in is so hard to find. I stumbled onto the humectant but I switched to the NTM line after reading Sistaslick's article on moisturizing poos with little or less harsh sulfates. Now I'm mixing it to use it up.

You're welcome! I love that Suave leave in, my ends do too. There are tons of it in the Wal*Mart down the street from me. I saw the Redken original in Target tonight for $15. It is a larger bottle. The Suave works good enough for me.

My Target also had Suave Humecant Shampoo and Conditioner for $1.42. It was a bonus size that is being discontinued. I bought some conditioner, but, don't have a clue what I will do with it. :sekret:. So now I have both of the Suave Nexxus knockoffs.

I buy my Nexxus Humectress and Therappe, Fantasia gel, ORS paks, and Cantu Shea Butter all from CVS. I've also bought mango butter there before.

Great list ayong1981. I would add

Cowashes: WRTC, V05 Strawberry Cream, and VO Tea Therapy

conditioner Nexxus Humectress, Motions Moisture Plus, (TUB) <---BSS
deep conditioner Nexxus Humectress, Moistions Moisture Plus
leave-in SunsilkTLC (its creamy!)
anything else Nexxus Emergency, Nexxus Keraphix, Motions CPR
also, what lines do you think are the best? As u can see--I luv Nexxus and Motions!

Back