what are you using for protein nowadays?

abcd09

I've been using aphogee 2 min, but it is making my hair feel soft instead of stronger.

What do you use for a protein treatment?

you may need something stronger, like Aphogee 2 step. Joico K-pak was way too strong for my hair. i use ORS Mayo now. it makes my hair strong, but it is a medium protein. you can always add an egg to it, to make it more stronger.

Aphogee 2 step every 6 weeks
Henna isn't a protein treatment but I use it in between to strengthen my hair
Sometimes I use Joico K pak :)

Aphogee 2 step (I have to add a different conditioner afterwards because the one it comes with does little for my hair.) and Palmer's Coconut oil formula deep conditioning protein pack.

She scent it okra reconstruction and fortifying mask
Curl junkie repair me

I've just bought Claudius protein conditioner ( don't remember the name now) and also hair Veda methi tea set. I haunt tried either one yet. But they came highly recommended.

I've never done a hard protein on my natural hair, just regular mild protein treatments. At least 3 times per month.

I currently have in my Stash:

Claudie's Protein & Claudie's Reconstructor
Nexxus Emergencee & Nexxus Keraphix
Affirm 5n1 & Affirm Sustenance
Joico K-Pak
SSI Okra Fortifying & SSI Okra
Hairveda's Methi Set
Cathy Howse UBH
MyHoneyChild Honey & Horsetail Reconstructor
Redken Deep Fuel, CAT & Redken Extreme
Tigi Dumb Blonde
Sebastian Penetraitt
Jasmine Bath & Beauty's Restructurizing Hair Mask
Silk Dreams Mocha Silk
Curl Junkie Repair Me & Curl Junkie *something else*
L'anza Reconstructor

**no more than 2 of these in rotation*

Last edited:
I have
Aphogee 2 step
Aphogee 2 minute
Giovanni Nutrafix
KeraStase Masque Force Architect
Redken Extreme Strength Builder plus
AO GPB

Ok, here comes a long review from the queen of the natural protein users :lachen:
1. Claudie's Liquid Protein, RIP she discontinued my Holiest of Grail (I am secretly begging her to bring this back)
2. Claudie's Reconstructor - got it, haven't tried yet
3. Claudie's Protein - got it, haven't tried yet
4. Nexxus Emergencee & Nexxus Humectress Loved in my relaxer days
5. Joico K-Pak: Stylist used in my relaxer days
6. SSI Fortifying - This is one of my favorites, better than okra for protein cravers
7. SSI Okra - It light for my hair, so I can use it every week
8. Hairveda's Methi Set - great medium protein, could be HG if I weren't a PJ
9. Redken Deep Fuel, CAT & Redken Extreme - You ever have a dog that loves everybody, and it just one person they just can't stand so you keep apologizing and saying she is normally not like this. My hair hates redken, can we say breakage :nono:
10. Silk Dreams Mocha Silk - ok weekly light protein
11. Curl Junkie Repair Me - Am I the only one that hates this? Didn't do a thing, but take my $30:nono: Do you boo.
12. Aphogee 2 step - Is a blessing, I used when relaxed
13. Megatek - I use it as a light protein/scalp treatment, twice a week mixed with oils - Holy Grail
14. yogurt Cherry Lola - This is the strongest Protein I have ever used, Holy Grail
15. mashed avocado - What protein? I just eat mine now
16. Powdered Carrots - Is that all you got?
17. SD Shea What - Great Fortifier
18. Mozeke Carrot Mask- I have to sleep in it, and my hair turns out like butta. Kills breakage
19. Marie Dean Olive Wheat Berry - Stops breakage, and strenthans, lovely, only the price killed HG status. A little goes a little way.
20. henna - used with when I had relaxer, going to revisit as a natural
21. cassia - great, works like henna, but without color, less mess.
22. Dudley's DR21 (I might not have the name right) Better than Aphoge, This stuff is amazing. Very strong liquid protein. Very expensive so not HG, must have a license to purchase.

She scent it okra reconstruction and fortifying mask
Curl junkie repair me

I've just bought Claudius protein conditioner ( don't remember the name now) and also hair Veda methi tea set. I haunt tried either one yet. But they came highly recommended.

I've never done a hard protein on my natural hair, just regular mild protein treatments. At least 3 times per month.

I have been looking for a new protein treatment, this looks like a winner! thanks SimJam

Yogurt Cherry Lola is a must try....why have I heard of this before??? I want to skip work tomorrow just to try this. Hurry up Friday!!!!

Note to self: Never leave LHCF again!!!!!
Thanks Seamonster!!!

Last edited:
Ash25 The cherry lola was all the rage on youtube a few years ago. It is a strong protein treatment, but protein sensitive folks were using it to define their curls :look:

Aphogee 2 step (I have to add a different conditioner afterwards because the one it comes with does little for my hair.) and Palmer's Coconut oil formula deep conditioning protein pack.
I mix Palmer's w/an egg and my hair loves it. I also use the Aphogee 2 minute. My daily leave-in/moisturizer has vegetable protein in it.

you may need something stronger, like Aphogee 2 step. Joico K-pak was way too strong for my hair. i use ORS Mayo now. it makes my hair strong, but it is a medium protein. you can always add an egg to it, to make it more stronger.

:yep: a step up from aphogee 2 min is the Joico /k-pak reconstuctor. If you feel you really need a strong dose of protein, Aphogee 2-step is a good one.

Although I've found it better to maintain protein/moisture balance doing medium protein frequently vs. occasional doses of the strong stuff.

Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner
Roux Porosity Control Conditioner

The former I use straight and it makes my hair stronger after a relaxer. The latter I use between touch-ups mixed in with my regular conditioner and it smooths and strengthens.

I used two step every 8 weeks for several years, then had a horrible setback from it after one.use caused matting and knots all over my head. Hair hasn't been the same since so I'm afraid to go back. I think I have kpak somewhere...

Aphogee 2 minute NOT 2 step, I've never tried that lol and I just recently bought some Joico K pak Intense Hydrator. Love it. It's not heavy on the protein but it has some.. My hair hates heavy protein.

I've been using ORS Mayo too. I tried it with an egg and my hair was good, still soft and much stronger.

Back