What Are You Ladies Using To Slick Your Hair ?

JC-Junkie

Hey Ladies ! I've been doing buns for about 5 months now and my hair is grazing APL. I'm at the stage where quite a bit of hair comes out of the ponytail, but the thing is my hair frizzes and doesn't quite reach the ponytail because they are shorter hairs at the front. This means I have to use quite a bit of gel to stick down the hair that frizz up which is all over my head. When I use the gel all over, it makes my whole hair really hard. except for the hair coming out of the ponytail, and I don't like that feeling at all :nono::nono::nono:. I tried to slick my hair back with conditioner the night before and tie it up to keep it laid down but it frizzed up the next morning :(. So I was wondering if you ladies have any suggestions for me to slick my hair back with and get a neat, sleek look without having that hard feeling, which can also be drying also even after apllying lots of conditioner, and also without the frizzies :) !
I would also like to know what brushes you use as well, I have a boar brush but it's not quite soft enough. I tried my denman and that's a :nono:.

TIA and HHG Ladies !!!!

I use hairspray sometimes but I know that isn't healthy:lol: There is a serum by Dove that works pretty well. It's like 5 bucks from Walgreens and smells very good. Oh and I bought a brush that looks like a Denman called x5 but it pulled more hair out than a fine toothed comb!

there are softer boar bristle brushes you can get from sallys that when you brush them across your hand its feels like it cant do anything, but they do work...i like blue ecostyler gel (doesnt dry hard), the argan oil eco didnt really dry hard for me either...i also like oyin burnt sugar pomade...when my sister got her hair cut, the hair dresser used hick's edges which worked really well on my sisters hair...a cheaper alternative to that is elasta qp glaze (but it has mineral oil in it if you care about that)...do you wet your hair before you apply the gel/condish and tie it down...i get decent results when i do it on dry hair, but optimal results when i wet or dampen the area i want to slick first.

Back when I did buns, I would use S-Curl and Aussie Moist Conditioner then put a scarf over my edges to keep them laying down. After I ran out of those products last, I tried EcoStyler Olive Oil Gel for the first time this year, and it does a pretty good job too, just haven't used it much.

I sometimes would use a Brush Stokes Wooden Mixed Boar Styler Brush from Sally's to smooth down my edges before putting it in a bun:
SBS-217507

Last edited:
First I dampen my hair with water and I use pure aloe vera gel mixed with some glycerin. The aloe vera is great for hair and the glycerin gives some slip so when your bun dries, it will lay down smooth and won't feel hard and crunchy to the touch.

I use Curls Passion Fruit Control Paste. You can get it at Target for cheap. Slicks it down without making the hair sticky or crispy. I mix it with a little water between my palms and then slick back.

I would use ecostyler gel makes hair feel very soft it you don't use too much. But my new love is what someone suggested about a month ago (same question asked) is ORS Edge Control. It's awesome all you need is your fingertips and a very very small dab. It's a pomade so it'll look very slick almost greasy if you use too much. It's awesome, cheap, smells good and works, and best for me is I don't need a brush.

Only problem is it makes my hair too straight (I like my waves) and plastered to head if I use too much.

I agree with Rina88...ORS Edge Control...all day. And I use a soft toothbrush, wet it and rub it in the Edge Control then rub it onto the areas I need it and then use my fingers to slick it back...Doesn't dry hard and you can comb it out again the next day...

I cosign on the EcoStlyer with Olive Oil. Just dont use too much! I also think I need to start using a moisturizer under it because it leaves my hair a little dry looking after a few days.

I use almond glaze and a scarf, sometimes I use a mixture of water, AM and JBCO (in a spray bottle) with a scarf, others I use whipped jelly and a scarf. All of these methods work pretty well, but my favorite is the almond glaze and a scarf.

A creamy cocktail that I make combining gel and leave-in together. Makes a custard that provides my hair with moisture and hold. Then I tie my hair down for about 5-10 minutes or longer if I have time. I only apply it on the top of my hair, not throughout (not the tail). To bling it up, I spritz it with spray on glosser. Once I apply the cocktail. The key is NOT to brush it.

Thank you for all your responses :) I live in the UK so I don't think we have a Sally's here, but Do you think I can find the products you ladies have mentioned ? I think some beauty stores here must have some :)
Thank you very much !

water, oil and my trusty brush. i smash it all down with my scarf and i'm good to go.

You may also want to try playing with a braid or a twist in the front going back to the bun that way you catch all your shorter hairs and wont have any frizzingup problem

Since I've big chopped I've been looking for things to slick my hair down. Suprisingly something worked that I never expect. Castor oil and a scarf. It smoothed my hair down and left it soft. and it wasnt even oily!

My ol standby- Fantasia gel w/ Sparklelights...put on scarf for 30 min, good to go for at least a few days.

I like Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel! I worked great for me on edges I spritzed with water to make easier to maintain. Eco-styler doesnt hold my hair well, its a softer hold or something. Maybe its the conditioner I use. You should be able to find the gel at most locations that carry the HE line.

I use elasta-qp mango butter mixed with a bit of Just For Me Soft hold gel. I tie with a scarf while I get dressed, and then take it off when I'm ready to go.

For my edges and nape my beautician suggested using a cuticle brush because the bristles are soft to not pull your hair and tiny enough to really slick them down, it works and is inexpensive, I get them for about $1 from Sally Beauty.

I have another question! Once you slick it back and get it to stay like that ,say at the beginning of the week, do y'all forgo moisturizing and sealing to avoid agitating it and having to repeat the process?

I use hawaiian silky 14 n 1 with some water, or when my hair is dry, I use elasta qp olive oil and mango butter, both work well, I don't mind my having a few lil hairs sticking up, but usually I wash and spray hawaiian silky 14 n 1 and put in a pony tail. I never use gel because I was told u would have to wash gel out after you use it.

Last edited:
Back