What are the best type of combs?

SleepyJean

I always hear people talking about shower combs and wood combs and I'm totally confused. :perplexed I just use my simple wide tooth comb that DEFINITELY needs an upgrade. :nono: It's AT LEAST 12 years old. I didn't really have a problem with it though, UNTIL my mom melted part of its tip off with the flat iron. Now it snags hair. :lol: :nono:

Any suggestions???

I bought two K-cutters from someone on this website. I love them. I gave one to my roommate, she said she loose way less hair with the K cutter. I took it home, my sister used it once and then try to steal it. Another perk to the K-cutter is that if feels great on the scalp. It's strong.

I think this is exactly like the one I have.

ebonyline51_1983_11179989

I bought two K-cutters from someone on this website. I love them. I gave one to my roommate, she said she loose way less hair with the K cutter. I took it home, my sister used it once and then try to steal it. Another perk to the K-cutter is that if feels great on the scalp. It's strong.

I think this is exactly like the one I have.

ebonyline51_1983_11179989

Thank you for the picture!!! I never knew what this illustrious comb looked like. Wow...It's really that good????

Bumping for more posts!!! More combs please. :grin:

Shower combs are the ones that come with that hook on them so that you can hang them from something in the shower.

After having spent over $100 on combs ALONE (don't say it, I already know), my best advice to you is to go pick up a good wide tooth rake like the lower pic in WantLongHair25's post, or a nice $2 Jilbere shower comb that everyone keeps talking about. When it comes to combs, the simpler and less expensive -- the better.

I have owned horn, plastic, bone (yes the real ones), and those clear acrylic types. Get yourself a full-size plastic comb with wide teeth, round teeth if you can find them. If it has seams, get a 400/600 grit nail file from Sally's and file the seams yourself.

Horn is not properly smooth, neither is bone IMO, so they both strip without it being all that noticeable until its too late. Acrylic snaps too easily. And forget about those little bitty ones altogether. They're toys!

But if you decide that you absolutely HAVE to try the horn or bone ones (don't do it girl!) then you can PM me. I still have them. I'll throw them out when I've owned them long enough to not feel bad about having spent so much on them. :sad::ohwell:

End rant. Hope that offers some guidance. :look:

i have a jilbere shower comb, I only use it in the shower and I love it.
i have a detangling comb (it's plastic) but it looks "seamless." I'm going to try to describe it, it has a handle and the tips that actually touch your hair has no lines in it...it's completely smooth. I've been using this type of comb since I was a kid.

and I have this too... I keep it in my purse
hair_033a.jpg

I have multiple combs, used for various things.

1) A big old black wide toothed comb - this one stays in the shower, for the 'first' few passes through my hair.

2) A shower comb - still wide toothed, but not quite as wide as the black one - I use this for the second pass through my hair.

3) Horn comb - it's the smallest tooth comb I run through my whole head. Still slightly wide toothed, and I have to keep up with lanolinizing it, but I love the way it goes through my hair. I also use this to make big parts.

4) Denman brush - it's the last step, and I consider it a 'kind' of comb.

I also use a rattail comb to comb through small sections of my hair before I two-strand twist it.....

The most expensive one I have is the bomb comb - which I love, and I got for like - 12 bucks, maybe? - but the others are just regular old cheap seamless combs.

Lili recommended Mason Pearson combs to me and I recently got two of them. I got the detangling comb and the rat tail comb. The combs are handmade and are truely seamless. I bought mine from amazon.com./

The best comb I have is my fingers. They detangle like no other and they're seamless!! :grin::look:
:lol:
I use my fingers when I first start detangling.

I use a seamless hard rubber comb with wide teeth and rounded tips. Like nappywomyn I use my Denman brush for the last step.

This is my comb:
HS_5660.jpg

I have a Bohn Comb and a Shower Comb. Both are seamless and I love em.

The Bohn Comb that I have is 5th down in the list.

Comb04.jpg

30813369-177x150-0-0_.jpg

Here Are Some Of The Combs That I Use :look:

Ghair Comb From Honeyfig.Com

Ghair Comb From Honeyfig.Com

Jilbere From Sallys

K-Cutter

Mason Pearson Comb

I've Been Using The Ghair Combs Since I Got Them And I'm In :love:

I'm taking notes here, but kinda confused, so please help me out here. I noticed up above that there's a Ghair Comb and a Bohn Comb (the 5th one going down) and they look the same. What's the difference between these 2? Is one real and one generic or what? Thanks so much!
Comb04.jpg

:lol:
I use my fingers when I first start detangling.

I use a seamless hard rubber comb with wide teeth and rounded tips. Like nappywomyn I use my Denman brush for the last step.

This is my comb:
HS_5660.jpg

I detangle with my fingers first, also.

Thanks for all of the pictures everybody. I did finally buy a comb from Sally's though, but I'm always open for more suggest. I got two(gave one away). I'm so happy. They're major upgrades!

I've learned so much about combs from this thread.

Back