What are the best protein conditioners?

BrownBetty

Hola,

I have a corner of Aubrey's GPB left and I am trying to decide whether to buy it again or try something else. I am not looking for a hard protein e.g. Emergencee but something I can use every other week. Any suggestions?

TIA

Motions does not work for me. CPR makes my hair brittle and I don't like the nuts and twigs in it.

Thanks anyway!!

I like Cathy Howse's UBH. Have you tried any of the other Aubrey's protein conditioners? They have a line based on aloe vera products. I think it's called Aloe Essence. Those might work, and they are a smoother consistency than GPB, which is kinda chalky (but I love it). I have one of the deep conditioners from the line. My only complaint is that the scent is less than heavenly...

Best Heavy-- Nexxus Emergencee (doesn't leave ya brittle and dry)
Best Light-- AO GPB (
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
)
Best Everyday-- Nexxus Humectress (perfect balance of light protein and moisture)

nexxus keraphix is right up there with GPB -- I love BOTH and hard to say which is better . . .

package & sengschick: I don't consider humectress a protein, but rather a moisturizing conditioner -- why do you guys think humectress is a protein?

[ QUOTE ]
Neroli said:
nexxus keraphix is right up there with GPB -- I love BOTH and hard to say which is better . . .

package & sengschick: I don't consider humectress a protein, but rather a moisturizing conditioner -- why do you guys think humectress is a protein?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering the same thing?

[ QUOTE ]
Neroli said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Because it has protein. It's a moisturizing conditioner w/protein.
Keraphix is very good
smile.gif
, a little stronger than GPB I think. But won't leave you brittle either.

[ QUOTE ]
sengschick said:
[ QUOTE ]
Neroli said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Because it has protein. It's a moisturizing conditioner w/protein.
Keraphix is very good
smile.gif
, a little stronger than GPB I think. But won't leave you brittle either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of moisturizing conditioners have some proteins in them, but are not considered so-called "protein treatments" because the concentration of proteins too low to have the desired strengthening effect. There's only one protein I identify in the list of humectress ingredients (keratin amino acids) and that appears pretty far down the list (11th or 12th) which indicates it is in very low concentration. Nexxus bills Humectress as the "ultimate moisturizing conditioner" (which I happen to agree with!). There are numerous other "moisturizers" that use some proteins to hold the formula together, but they are not "strengtheners" in the sense of a serious protein conditioner.

For example, paul mitchell super-charged moisturizer also lists a protein as the 4th item (Hydrolyzed Soy Protein) but is is by no means a "strengthener" it a defintely a moisturizer -- I flirted briefly with PM products at one point but found my beloved nexxus to be superior . . . .

I didn't think we were talking protein treatments, just conditioners with protein. And it is a good conditioner w/protein and it's light enough to use every day while getting the benefits of protein
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
sengschick said:
I didn't think we were talking protein treatments, just conditioners with protein. And it is a good conditioner w/protein and it's light enough to use every day while getting the benefits of protein
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The poster was asking for "protein conditioners" and IMO, humectress cannot be considered a protein conditioner (or even a conditioner with protein) because humectress is formulated and functions as a moisturizer, notwithstanding that it has one protein in a very small and insignificant concentration. If we are talking about conditioners with protein, that would include pretty much all conditioners, so-call moisturizers as well (because the majority all have SOME proteins in them). . . .

I have a cabinet full of a wide variety of moisturizing conditioners (cheap, epensive, in-between) and every single one has some kind of protein listed. The only so-call moisturizing conditioner that I own that DOES NOT have a protein (at least one that I recognize as a protein) is Africa's Best Organics Cholesterol Tea-Tree Oil Hair Conditioner . . .

[ QUOTE ]
MissVee said:
Hola,

I have a corner of Aubrey's GPB left and I am trying to decide whether to buy it again or try something else. I am not looking for a hard protein e.g. Emergencee but something I can use every other week. Any suggestions?

TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried Aubrey GPB with 1 can of coconut milk overnight and liked the results. I'll be doing it again tonight to see if I feel the same way.

BTW, does anyone's hair respond better to certain kinds of proteins? I'm convinced my hair prefers milk proteins versus the keratins, animal, human hair, and silk proteins. I haven't tried soy yet.

Motions CPR
Aubrey GPB
Nexxus Keraphix

I really want to try the Motions Silk Conditioner.

I don't really use the really harsh proteins.

Light conditioners with proteins that I use are:
Dumb Blonde Reconstructor for Highlights Conditioner
DB Reconstructor

I agree with many of the options here...

I just wanted to add that Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum is an excellent option if you want the bang of an Emergencee type cond. without the "buck"...
smile.gif

Back