What are some of the most ridiculous hair myths you've heard?

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I know these types of threads have been done before, but I always enjoy reading them. They have me like :nono: :huh: :rolleyes: :giggle: all at once. So what are the most ludicrous hair myths and misconceptions you've heard? I'll go first

-If you co wash your hair, it'll dry your hair hair out :nuts:
-If you trim your hair, it'll grow
-Mane N Tail will make your hair grow like a horses :rolleyes:
-White people products don't work for us
-If you don't ''perm'' your hair every month, it'll fall out

Last edited:
If you wash your hair too much it will fall out:lachen:
Your relaxer can come out off your hair months or years after:lachen:

Black people hair cant grow:nono:

"I gotta get a perm cuz my roots gettin nappy and they need to be straight" :wallbash:

"to cut your split ends, twist a lock of your hair and cut everything that sticks out." df?:wallbash:

1. You can repair split ends without cutting them!
2. Washing your hair daily makes it dry out
3. If you want longer, healthier faster growing hair...cut your hair during a full moon :yep:! :up:... :lachen:.

If a pregnant woman does your hair, it will grow.

Perm just "washes out".

Why, oh why, is it that these people who make these stupid comments NEVER have long hair?:perplexed

quote=cieramichele;4850729]"to cut your split ends, twist a lock of your hair and cut everything that sticks out." df?:wallbash:
[/quote]

i was taught this in school, its a cutting technique

to revert a relaxer, use vinegar.....:nono:

Last edited:
Only white people can wash their hair every day/week. Black people should wash every 2 weeks.

Going to the salon more often will make your hair grow. (They failed to mention that it would make your bank account shrink.)

The marcel iron is healthier for your hair than the electric irons.

Only stylists should put protein treatments in people's heads.

Washing your hair at home will make it break off.

Dirty hair grows faster.

Brushing your hair 100x/day will make it long and shiny. :eek:

There are so many. I've forgotten a lot of them since I stopped going to the salon, but I occasionally run into people who say some of the most backwards things about hair.

I second on the DIRTY HAIR myth! Ridiculous!!
I've been told that the gunk that's on the scalp is nourishment! hahahahahaha!! Crack-heads!!!

Yeah, that "dirt grows my hair" mess :perplexed

I was reading reviews for HE LTR and someone actually said it's only for long hair, and won't work for short hair. As if the product knows the difference between long and short hair :look:

If you dont Grease Your Scalp Your hair want Grow it Will Fall out
Grease Makes Black Folks hair Grow thats why we need it
i was told that natural hair is hair that has Curly hair Pattern only????
Anything with water in it is Bad for our hair Because it will Make it Nappy and Dry.
yeah...im from tx:look:

quote=cieramichele;4850729]"to cut your split ends, twist a lock of your hair and cut everything that sticks out." df?:wallbash:

to revert a relaxer, use vinegar.....:nono:[/quote]

That's how I trim....it takes the stress out of trying to make it even and keeps my hair shape intact. :ohwell:

-If you co wash your hair, it'll dry your hair hair out :nuts:

It's half true for me. (Did you hear this one from me? lol)

If I rinse and deep condition, it's fine.

If I do a regular conditioner wash once, it's fine.

but repeated conditioner washes leave my hair dry (not bone dry or breaking, but not as moist as it regularly is)

Dunno why...

My ridiculous myths are...

Henna will make your hair fall out.

If you don't burn your shed hair, it'll fall out. :lol: Old school mama.

Grease moisturizes hair the best.

Yeah, that "dirt grows my hair" mess :perplexed

I was reading reviews for HE LTR and someone actually said it's only for long hair, and won't work for short hair. As if the product knows the difference between long and short hair :look:

Stupid! :lachen:

Yeah like the product is like (in your best New York Construction worker accent) "Hey Phil, I thought you said this person had long hair." Phil: "Max told me that. Well since her hair is short I guess we can't work here!"

*Grabs lunch boxes and clocks out*

Stupid! :lachen:

Yeah like the product is like (in your best New York Construction worker accent) "Hey Phil, I thought you said this person had long hair." Phil: "Max told me that. Well since her hair is short I guess we can't work here!"

*Grabs lunch boxes and clocks out*

:rofl: The funniest thing I've read all week!!! :lachen:

I'm mad somebody even said that...I mean seriously...that's like saying a certain product with a white person in the marketing won't work for you once it 'senses' the extra mealnin in your scalp. :lachen:

Here's mine's:

-Wearing freeze curls/waves will make your hair grow(with black gel)
-Wearing your natural hair is only for KIDS!!
-Products geared towards white folks hair WON'T work on AA hair!

And my all-time fave (which has been mentioned in this thread)
-Dirt makes your hair grow (replace the word "Dirt" with the word "Dandruff") Ewwwwww!

:rofl: The funniest thing I've read all week!!! :lachen:

I'm mad somebody even said that...I mean seriously...that's like saying a certain product with a white person in the marketing won't work for you once it 'senses' the extra mealnin in your scalp. :lachen:

I mean do people really hear what they're saying?

This reminds me of Divorce Court the other day. This woman was having a paternity test and she said that she heard the test can give you a wrong result if you ate grilled cheese or any dairy products beforehand because of the swabbing inside the cheek. Judge Toller (sp?) was like, "Grilled cheese does NOT alter your DNA!":lachen:

This reminds me of Divorce Court the other day. This woman was having a paternity test and she said that she heard the test can give you a wrong result if you ate grilled cheese or any dairy products beforehand because of the swabbing inside the cheek. Judge Toller (sp?) was like, "Grilled cheese does NOT alter your DNA!":lachen:
WTF? :lachen::lachen::lachen: People are so ridiculous.

I read the LTR thing on Yahoo answers. And it was the "best answer" :ohwell:

WHAT!!!! :eek:

Seriously, some people should not breed.:nono:

to revert a relaxer, use vinegar.....:nono:

That's how I trim....it takes the stress out of trying to make it even and keeps my hair shape intact. :ohwell:[/quote]

Not every hair that sticks out is a split end. Some hairs are shorter than the others. Now if you hapn to see a split end then yeah cut it ....but cutting every hair that sticks out of the twist doesnt seem logical to me. Just my opinion.

Black people's scalps don't make oil so we have to grease our hair and scalp.

that's funny...our scalp sebum can't naturally glide down the hair shaft like folks w/ straight hair so this is why oil is needed but then again this is why u would really only need a brush

:eek: :confused: :ohwell: :lachen:

I can only imagine what other nonsense she believes.

Back