What about them roots?!

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Ok ladies we all know that it's essential to keep our ends well moisturized and trimmed but arent our roots important too?:yep: How do you keep your roots moisturized/detangled and far away from breakage? Your roots are your new growth and that's what we are stressing about to add more length...right ;) .This is esspecially true for relaxed ladies and transitioners with new growth because there are two different textures to compete with.

I want to hear these responses b/c I struggle with keeping my new growth moisturized. My edges are always fine b/c they have KeraCare Essential Oils and MB on them...but it's the nape and crown area that doesn't really get moisture. The more newgrowth I have, the more I co wash, etc. to keep all of my hair moisturized. I also spray on a mix of EVOO/water/glycerin/honey to my roots to keep them moisturized and it helps me to detangle.

Hey! I was thinking of the question you just asked, vikkisecret! :think:

I'm a transitioner with 21 weeks of new growth. My new growth stays drier than the rest of my hair. Even after moisturizing my newgrowth, it stay frizzy looking. I know I can't pour anything on my scalp to get every single area of my new growth moisturize. I think sectioning your hair in several sections one by one and applying moisture to your roots would work but I'm too lazy to do that.

Hope we get a few more responses.

Thanx Cindy,
I too have trouble with keeping the crown of my head moisturized. It just soaks up oils and I haven't really found a product yet that has gives me that "wow" feeling when I put it on my hair besides ORS Olive Oil :love:.

CO washes. No amount of bottled moisturizer would be enough to keep i20+ weeks of newgrowth supple. Water has to hit this thirsty head with plenty of conditioner. It's just easier.

Speaking of ORS olive oil. I was checking out the ingredients in it. No MO or Pet right? Very impressive. I may have to try this.

I massage Asha's Roots Serum into my scalp pretty much on a daily basis, I think it helps keeping my new hair and scalp in tip top shape :-)

Yep your right Honi,
I love this stuff I use the one in the jar and not in the tube bottle. It's much more concentrated. I went last week without it b/c I ran out and my hair was lookin too through :lol: ...My mom was like why does your hair look so dry. I was basically to lazy and too cheap to buy some more (costs $9 after tax) but obviously my hair can't be without it. I'm sure you'll like it. HTH

Hi So1913 :wave:
How do I take sneak peek at Asha's products?

Last edited:
Honi said:
CO washes. No amount of bottled moisturizer would be enough to keep i20+ weeks of newgrowth supple. Water has to hit this thirsty head with plenty of conditioner. It's just easier.

Speaking of ORS olive oil. I was checking out the ingredients in it. No MO or Pet right? Very impressive. I may have to try this.
are you a daily co-washer or something? if not, how often do you co wash? what do you do to keep new growth supple when your hair is dry (not wet)?

Stay-so -Fro works for me. It keeps my new growth soft and manangeable.

now im a lil bit confused...

@ vikkisecret, why don't you use the ORS Olive Oil to keep your new growth supple? Do you just use it on your ends? Have you tried it on your roots? Or are you looking for a different product to do the trick? :confused:

I use a mixture of jojoba, castor, with a little rosemary on my scalp. My new growth feels like a wet rug right now. Its really thick down there. I barely can get my fingers through. I hope my stylist will be able to part to get the relaxer through ok. :(

I spray Infusium 23 Leave-In for colored/permed/relaxed hair roots to ends, then I apply NTM Silk-Touch Leave-In roots to ends. I comb and detangle, then I oil my scalp/new growth with WGHO while my hair is still wet. If I apply WGHO to a dry scalp/roots, it makes my hair too sticky. This keeps my roots pretty manageable.

I just put extra oil (evoo mixed with a store bought oil mix) on it after I wash and deep condition my hair.

I roller set it to flatten it out into waves, after that I just leave it alone. Nothing else touches the newgrowth until the next wash day.

When I have an inch or more of newgrowth is the only time I'll wear rollersets continuosly... the tension while airdrying really does stretch it out.

Hi Poohbear,
Actually that's a good quetsion.The ORS Olive Oil feels great on my roots and ends but that little jar will last me a week if used I used it to moisturize all of my roots. It's on the steaper side in price so I'm looking for other alternatives to use all over scalp that work just as good.:D I'm in college so I try to stretch my money.

Hi Poohbear,

I'm not a daily CO washer but most like an every other day washer. The moisture from the CO washes will last a day....sometimes another day afterwards depending on what conditioners I use and what I use afterwards to lock in the moisture.

I don't like to mess with my hair dry. Too risky for breakage. It's really curly/wavy in there at this point.

I made my own oil concoction(carrier oils-jojoba, coconut oil, castor oil, emu with essential oils- rosemary, peppermint, basil, lemon, myrrh) and use it as a hair oil for my scalp since your not suppose to use any hair oil with petroleum because it clogs your scalp. The natural oils are much better to use since they are easily absorbed into the scalp which therefore allows your scalp to breathe and it also moisturizes your roots in the process.

@ Porsche19... I might try putting EVOO on my roots before I rollerset my hair. The thing is, after I let it dry, I plan on flat ironing my roots. I wonder if all the oil would cause a problem... does anyone think it will???

@Honi... thanks for your reply. I plan on washing my hair every 2 weeks so I'll have to deal with dry hair. btw, how do you wear your hair after co-washing??? Do you mainly wear a bun???

vikkisecret said:
Hi Poohbear,
Actually that's a good quetsion.The ORS Olive Oil feels great on my roots and ends but that little jar will last me a week if used I used it to moisturize all of my roots. It's on the steaper side in price so I'm looking for other alternatives to use all over scalp that work just as good.:D I'm in college so I try to stretch my money.
Yes, I can definitely relate to being a broke college student! :grin:

I take it old school:

Sit under the dryer w/ Queen Helene Cholesterol for about 20-30minutes.

Then, I:

-Spray generously w/ Fantascia IC Leave-in w/ Aloe (I don't know what is in this stuff, but it's really good at moisturizing my hair and increasing elasticity :up: )

-Put a dollop or two of NTM throughout hair.....

My newgrowth feels like the rest of my texturized hair.

Then, I can:

- rollerset my hair,
-let it dry under the dryer as much as possible,
-then oil my scalp w/ a concoction of coconut oil, castor oil. and peppermint oil,
-straighten my hair w/ a ceramic curling iron...paying more attention to "them roots" :D

But..........I haven't figured out what i can do about those hairline roots until the next wash. THAT IS SOME STUBBORN HAIR...DAMN! lol. Maybe I'll try spraying some of my leave-in on it daily ...... :scratchch

I use S-Curl No Drip Spray it keeps my newgrowth moisturized, soft & manageable. Conditioning after every wash helps too.

Jewell said:
I spray Infusium 23 Leave-In for colored/permed/relaxed hair roots to ends, then I apply NTM Silk-Touch Leave-In roots to ends. I comb and detangle, then I oil my scalp/new growth with WGHO while my hair is still wet. If I apply WGHO to a dry scalp/roots, it makes my hair too sticky. This keeps my roots pretty manageable.

This sounds like a good idea. I had to go out and get some wild growth oil yesterday. I haven't used that stuff for months because of the smell, but I need it to rescue those roots so......

The WGO makes the new growth more manageable and when it's applied to wet/damp hair it doesn't smell so bad.

I'm going to apply this to my roots and then use Sylver2's scarf technique. I think that should pretty much do the trick.:p

:scratchch Hmmm... I think I know why my roots are dry now. When I wash my hair, I usually put my leave-ins on my hair forgetting to put something on my roots. Next time I wash my hair, I'll make sure to put oil or something on my roots while my hair is wet so they'll be tamed until the next time I wash. Thanks for creating this thread!

I've been using the Glovers before washing and leaving it on for about an hour. I am about 16wks post relaxer and this stuff really seems to also moisturize my new growth. I also flat iron my roots after I rollerset and I use the Surge oil.

Your welcome Poohbear :) . I would always wonder why my hair would feel good but my roots were curly and basically unmanageable and dry.

Back