Wet Set Gallery?

DivineEndurance

Hola,
Could somone point me to a gallery or someone's hair journal featuring a lot of different wet set hair styles? I'd give my last denman brush for a somthing like this :p I'm getting bored with my current style and want to spruce it up a bit.

Side Thought:
Wouldn't it be cool if LHCF had a space or a sticky thread just devoted to different hairstyles?

Hi! I'm still relatively new to the board, so you don't know me yet although I FEEL like I know you! :grin: I agree, this IS an excellent idea... one of those things where it's astonishing it hasn't already been done. Thanks for being the initiator :clap: I'll be your first visitor, and I will also help as soon as I get my camera back, as I am practicing roller sets, bantu sets, and rod sets too! So far, I think I got the spiral rod set down, but everything else is going to require some determination :cool:

I had the best spiral set on my fine, kinky, 4a natural hair by Shirley at Strands hair salon in Wheaton, MD. She washed and protein contitioned me with Phyto Specific products, and then she blew me out with a FIRM plastic-bristled paddle brush and a dryer with a nozzle concentrator (no round brush to rip my strands out)! Once my hair was straight, she then ran a quick oil-based moisturixer (phyto again) through my hair and then wet sections with wrap lotion and water from a spray bottle as she rolled 1 in sections up the spiral rollers (the long rubbery ones that bend, the yellow ones). After she finished my whole head, she sprayed me again with the wrap lotion, then put me under the dryer for about 30 minutes (hair dries fast on those little rollers). Then, she took them out, put phytospecific brand oil on her hands, and separated the curls for much needed fullness. It looked GREAT and lasted for a week and a half! :bdance: I replicated it last night, on my dry natural hair (not blowdried) with just wrap lotion and the rollers, and I went to sleep on them semi-wet. They were dry by morning (hair wasn't really wet to start with), and after I separated them with my fingers and coconut oil on my hands, I looked just like the salon set I paid +$200 for :nuts: out of sheer desperation with styling my hair. Sure, the curls had a little more natural texture in them, since I didn't blow it straight first, but I expected that. Next time, I am going to see how much smoothness I can get out of doing the rollers while dripping wet and using a hood dryer, but if that still does not give me the smoothness I want then I will just repeat EXACTLY as they did in the salon, blow out and all (I bought a firm paddle brush just like theirs -- I got it from whole foods, and it is by Bass -- I had other paddle brushes, but could never get my hair straight as easily as with this one, I think because the other brushes seemed to have an air-filled cushion underneath the bristles).

Sorry to ramble on so long, but I just wanted to tell you EVERYTHING I knew :grin: I hope this is at least A LITTLE of what you were looking for...

Hey cafe_au_lait

It sounds like you had a wonderful experience, and don't feel bad abou the $200. You treated yourself to some down time and got a lesson on how to set your hair to boot ;).

Now you've inspired me to invest in some of those flexy rollers, I've been wanting to do a spiral set for a while now, I mostly rely on twist outs.

How about this, I will make an effort to try to record my more succesful attempts. My big challenge right now is to find a comfortable wet set that I can sleep in on Sunday night that will last me at least the whole week. Right now I'm lucky if I last 3 days :ohwell:

I feel myself reaching for the scissors again *must say NO, must say NO*...

Thanks for the inspiring post.

P.S. The fact that you feel you know me already is just testimony to my big mouth...I've only been here a week :lol:

DivineEndurance, you had me cracking up :lachen: I didn't know you were new too, I feel like you have been one of the main people I have been referring to for hair tips over the last few weeks that I have discovered this hair board! And thanks for the encouragement about my salon experience -- I really did feel guilty about it, and I wouldn't have even went if I had known it would be that much. But she IS good, I had seen her work on a friend of mine who went every week (how -- I don't know :ohwell: ) AND everytime I looked in Black Sophisticates Hair and Honey Hair mags and saw a curly fro style I liked, SHE was the stylist. If you're ever in the DC area with a little extra dough and a slight tolerance for attitude, then your hair will thank you!

I think you will have fun with the flexi-rods -- I thought they were a bit pricey at first (like 4.99 at my BSS for 8 when you need like 24 at least to do a whole head) but I have gotten my use out of them! One thing I feel obligated to say, though, is that twistouts/braidouts don't really work on my hair -- my "out" usually resemble "frizz outs" more than twist outs, and braid outs take forever to dry and are usually too curly for me. So the flexi rods are really the best option for me. But since twist/braid outs work for you, they may end up being more convenient for you to get that curly look, except on playful occasions... But you really can't beat the mini-candy curls the rollers produce, so I wish you the BEST in your trials!!! :woot:

Oh, and I'll take pics of my trials, too, for your wet set thread!

Back