Wet Detangled Hair = Dry Re-Tangled Hair?

davisbr88

Hi, ladies:
I have been noticing that I will go through section by section while my hair is wet with conditioner to detangle my hair, but for some reason, as it dries, it re-tangles. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do? I am transitioning btw.

I'm natural... the same thing happens to me but I just kind of accept it. I wear my hair "out" most of the time. I can only manipulate my hair in it's wet state though, detangling on dry hair is just asking for breakage.

^^ That's the thing.... it won't even be fully dry but as it's drying, it will re-tangle. For example, I detangled one section and went on to do a few other sections. When I went back to the first section (my hair dries pretty quickly by the way), it wasn't as tangled as it was before I combed, but the comb wouldn't glide through like it had when I had finished detangling.

As you detangle, you're supposed to put your hair in plaits so it stays detangled. Leaving wet hair out is a recipe for disaster, especially if you're natural and have the tighter coiled hair.

It is for this very reason that I wash my hair in braids or twists, never loose. Because wet hair shrinks and the coils intertwine and if they dry like that, then you cannot separate them w/o causing damage to your hair. But if you keep your hair stretched and let it dry like that, then you will have nice parallel strands that are not tangled at all.

BTW, because this is second nature to me, I never spend any time detangling. My hair never gets tangled in the first place.

@Nonie: Thanks for the response. I was having a "duh" moment, I guess. So do you let it dry in plaits? If that's the case, how do you style your hair? How do you do your WNGs?
ETA: Nvm... I think I remember reading somewhere that you don't do WNGs. But how do other people do WNGs?

I experience the exact same thing. I believe since I am using a wide took comb that I sometimes don't get all the tangles out. The comb will glide through twice but on the third time it will hit another small tangle. I would think "didn't I just detangle that?" I also believe some of my leave ins are causing my hair to dry and mat together causing tangles.. I can detangle my whole head and when it dries, alot of my hair fuses together then I would have to seperate it again. I have been told to keep the hair straight while drying, but that doesn't stop my hair from fusing together. It would be fused together and straight.
No matter how much leave in conditioner I use after washing my hair, when it dries it doesn't feel moisturized. I think that is another problem.

^^ OT: But your weight loss is CRAZY!!!
I have been struggling with the same 25-30 lbs and I keep feeling like I'm just doomed to fail. But you look fabulous. I wish I could have the drive you obviously have.

As soon as I detangle a section I braid it up. Otherwise, yes it will re-tangle. I only wear braidouts these days. No buns, washngos, or anything unless its a messy bun from my braidout because the other styles will make my hair tangle something serious.

i want my hair to be like yours:blush:

Aww...it can be. Just keep it braided when you wet it. Undo a braid at a time after you've applied shampoo to it and comb through then rebraid that one before moving on to the next. Then rinse with braids in undoing one at a time under a stream of water to comb, then rebraid. Then do the same with conditioner, and repeat the rinsing method as before. Then dunk your head in ACV and undo each braid at a time and comb. Then let the hair dry in the braids.

When you undo, you will have hair that isn't tangled. I think avoiding WNGs also helps prevent tangles. Bottom line, keep hair stretched. Style it in stretched ways and you may never have to deal with tangles. I think Kimmaytube's regimen is a really good one that is easy to adopt for someone needing a visual.

Looks like you got some pretty good answers, but I'll just throw in my little two cents anyway! :grin:

My hair is really short and I have this same problem! If I just let it dry, even partially after detangling, It'll tangle right back up!

I prevent this in my daughter's hair, (hers is much longer than mine) by sectioning and braiding after detangling. Because I keep her hair stretched and twisted most of the time, hers rarely gets tangled. What are you using for your WNG's?

Since about three months natural I started using gel gel for mine, and lately I have started adding random finger throughout my hair for added definition. ;) If I used conditioner for WNG's like I did when my hair was shorter, it would tangle like you wouldn't believe! But using gel seems to keep the tangles at bay. :yep:

HTH!

Looks like you got some pretty good answers, but I'll just throw in my little two cents anyway! :grin:

My hair is really short and I have this same problem! If I just let it dry, even partially after detangling, It'll tangle right back up!

I prevent this in my daughter's hair, (hers is much longer than mine) by sectioning and braiding after detangling. Because I keep her hair stretched and twisted most of the time, hers rarely gets tangled. What are you using for your WNG's?

Since about three months natural I started using gel gel for mine, and lately I have started adding random finger throughout my hair for added definition. ;) If I used conditioner for WNG's like I did when my hair was shorter, it would tangle like you wouldn't believe! But using gel seems to keep the tangles at bay. :yep:

HTH!
Thanks for your two cents! :)
Anyway, I am still transitioning so I don't do WNG, but was just wondering because I am planning to when I am natural. But that is a really good tip about gel vs. conditioner. I wonder if my hair will behave the same way.

after i detangle a section, i twist it up. so my hair does not re-tangle. it stays detangled throughout my whole wash process. now depending on if i wear it out or in twists determines if it gets tangled again lol. ♥

Thanks ladies! I will definitely be braiding or twisting. I have been told that multiple times but I never had to do it before so I thought it might be unnecessary, but I guess now that I have almost 5" of new growth, I'm going to have to try something different!

Back