Wet bunning...what did I do wrong?

tricie

So I made my first attempt at a wet bun last night. I washed, dc'ed, and applied leave-ins (Cantu shea butter leave-in, Taalia Waajid Mist Bodifyer, HS 14n1, and Giovanni Direct leave in, and a little castor oil).

After detangling, I applied EcoStyler gel (brown and clear) all over, and then pulled my hair in back into a ponytail. I applied Mango Butter moisturizer and castor oil to the ends and baggied, tied a scarf on to lay down the edges, and went to bed. I didn't detangle or apply the gel while in the shower, but my hair was about 75% wet.

This morning, I felt my head and it wasn't dry (no surprise there). I took the scarf off only to find the frizziest mess I could imagine!! :wallbash: I have a really cute curly phony pony that I was going to wear, but it just doesn't look right. I'll attach the pic I took here with the phony pony:

Phony pony fail.jpg

What did I do wrong??? All I want to do is take a break from braids for a while and wear my hair in a protective style and baggy since I've read such good things about retaining length both. How do I get this 16 month transitioning, 4a hair to lay down?

Good thing I can work from home cuz I woulda been a ham at the office....HELP! :nono:

TIA!

Hmm....idk...some people's hair just can't slick down and you may have to embrace it. I kno BMP and others have stated that coarse type 4's usually cant slick their hair back with gel and water. I honestly don't think it looks that bad but I understand you want it to look perfect. I wish I could help you...maybe you applied too many leave ins for the gel to work? I only apply one leave in when I use gel...or maybe it frizzed up because it was brushing against the scarf as you slept.

There was a thread made like last week about using Beyond the zone gel and it worked for her. But I don't remember her screen name or the title of the thread so hopefully someone else comments for you!

I agree with the over-use of leave-ins. Whenever I wet bun, I do it for the morning and I use two products: s-curl and coconut oil.

I rinse my hair in the morning underneath the tub's faucet; while my hair is dripping wet (and of course, i'm still leaned over in the tub), I spray my S-curl throughout my hair. I use a detangling brush (Aveda) to help distribute the products and of course detangle. I then apply coconut oil and brush my hair into a ponytail with a boar bristle brush, securing the ends underneath the holder.

I put a silk scarf on and get ready for the rest of the day. By the time I'm done, my hair is perfect (in my opinion - I get a lot of compliments so I guess it's cute).

I wouldn't dare do my wet bun at night and expect it to look half-way decent in the morning. I also don't think I need all those leave-ins, gel, then oil, I'm just asking for a frizzy mess.

I agree - too many products. I think you should be able to sleep on it though with a silk or satin scarf. Eco-Styler gel is the only thing that works for my natural 4a/4b/3c hair. Try it again.

Oh - that is a cute pony you added! Who's it by?

That is a lot of product!

Right now I just use kinky curly not today and a little Eco styled (green) and a touch of Shea butter.

Your hair will never dry with all that stuff in it.

I agree - too many products. I think you should be able to sleep on it though with a silk or satin scarf. Eco-Styler gel is the only thing that works for my natural 4a/4b/3c hair. Try it again.

I agree, I often "set" my slicked back ponytails overnight using Eco Styler and a little leave in underneath using a silk or satin scarf only.

I agree with the over-use of leave-ins. Whenever I wet bun, I do it for the morning and I use two products: s-curl and coconut oil.

I rinse my hair in the morning underneath the tub's faucet; while my hair is dripping wet (and of course, i'm still leaned over in the tub), I spray my S-curl throughout my hair. I use a detangling brush (Aveda) to help distribute the products and of course detangle. I then apply coconut oil and brush my hair into a ponytail with a boar bristle brush, securing the ends underneath the holder.

I put a silk scarf on and get ready for the rest of the day. By the time I'm done, my hair is perfect (in my opinion - I get a lot of compliments so I guess it's cute).

I wouldn't dare do my wet bun at night and expect it to look half-way decent in the morning. I also don't think I need all those leave-ins, gel, then oil, I'm just asking for a frizzy mess.

I am an AVID wet bunner! That's how I got through my transition. And I COMPLETELY agree with everything she said. Do the bun in the AM, don't use so much stuff in your hair, apply the EcoStyler generously, tie your scarf down as soon as you've brushed your hair smooth. Good luck!

Too many leave ins...they are interfering with the gels ability to do it's job (hold).

:yep:

Thank you, Soror! (so1913) :)

OO-OOP! ;) :wavey: Hi, so1913 & tricie!

Thanks, Lady PBC; I most def am gonna try it again! It's by Fashion Source Wig Collection, and the style number is PCHP-5101; the color I bought is 1B. It's 100% Kanekalon, and was $9.99 at the BSS. :)

That is a lot of product!

Right now I just use kinky curly not today and a little Eco styled (green) and a touch of Shea butter.

Your hair will never dry with all that stuff in it.

Thanks, Gleek! I could probably use some shea after it's dry for some sheen.

You ladies are so smart; that's why I had you all on "speed dial" in the event that this would happen. :drunk: However, I should have known because, pre-LHCF, I used to wear my hair in ponytails everynow and then, and it would always lay down with gel, and I don't recall using that many, if any, leave-ins! :dork:

Thanks so much...if anyone has any other follow up, please feel free to respond.

***off to redo hair***

Well, I did it over, and OMG, what a difference! Thanks sooo much, ladies! :grin: Now the next thing I need to do is get my pony up a little higher...it's a little low for me, but I'm not doing it again for a few days! :lachen:

Phony pony - much better (2).jpg

I agree I think too many leave ins...I have 4a hair I think(now that have seen the blog for 4a:grin:) I use the Kimmyatube leave in recipe (youtube) and then brush it back w/ water. I tie a silk scarf tightly around my hair. If I must use gel on edges I use IC Fantasia. The Ecostyler makes my hair too hard

Ooops I didn't see the pic above.....Cute I'm glad it worked...just remember when applying products less is sometimes more

Last edited:
Hi op(i'm so slow at reading smtimes) but i was gonna say your hair looks like mine before i slick it down. Now i see you have deeper and more waves than me naturally.
You did a great job both times (you just didn't know it). The first time you could have wet tht hair down (w/spray bttle) and layed it down..scarf and go (even though you probably had too much product)
Congrats "Major accomplishment"!

Your hair looks just like mine in a wet bun and when mine looks like that I usually think it looks cute! LoL!

Back