Wet Bunning...Thoughts?

Black Hoya Chick

So I just did my first wet bun ever. I feel like I should try certain techniques at least once, I mean you never know right? It was a donut bun, not too tight. I have been doing them dry for about a month. I like the way it turned out and I feel like this would save me soo much more time in the mornings after I normally cowash. I only re-do my buns every 5-7 days (after a cowash).

So the question is...does anyone else do this?

If you do or have, what are your thoughts? (Did you experience breakage, more/less retention, more/less moisture, etc.)

Thanks in advance

If I'm not mistaken, Yvette, who grew her hair to almost WL and whose story is told here was a wet bunner. My guess is it works because one of the causes for split ends and breakage is dryness. So since water is the best moisturizer, when sealed in and then bunned away from drying air, then you're doing more to protect your ends.

I just did my first wet donut bun last Sunday! I said I was going to try it all summer with some 2 strands thrown in there to give it a rest sometimes. My hair was moist for 4 days straight, I didn't add any product. Then on the 5th day it was trying to dry out and I sprayed it with some vegetable-glycerin water mix before bed and it was good to go in the morning!

Here's my donut bun. (pic is bad sorry!)

Picture24-vi.jpg

Picture28-vi.jpg

I like it. It was cute and i didn't have to fuss with my hair in the morning. Me likes wet donut buns.

I used to do a lot of wet buns and my hair grew, but I experienced breakage where I had the band, so I would just caution to move your bun around (top, sides, back, nape) and not make the banding too tight

I just did my first wet donut bun last Sunday! I said I was going to try it all summer with some 2 strands thrown in there to give it a rest sometimes. My hair was moist for 4 days straight, I didn't add any product. Then on the 5th day it was trying to dry out and I sprayed it with some vegetable-glycerin water mix before bed and it was good to go in the morning!

Picture24-vi.jpg

Picture28-vi.jpg

I like it. It was cute and i didn't have to fuss with my hair in the morning. Me likes wet donut buns.

gorgeous!!! thanks so much. I am def gonna keep doing this for a while

Just a thought - how wet was your hair when you did the bun? I do a wet bun instead of a wash and go most of them time, but I have to take it down, otherwise my hair never dries. Moisture is a good thing, but mildew isn't, and I've had a problem with that whenever I left my hair in a wet bun more than a day. :ohwell:

Just a thought - how wet was your hair when you did the bun? I do a wet bun instead of a wash and go most of them time, but I have to take it down, otherwise my hair never dries. Moisture is a good thing, but mildew isn't, and I've had a problem with that whenever I left my hair in a wet bun more than a day. :ohwell:

its moreso damp than wet. i squeeze out the excess water and product before i bun it. and my hair tends to absorb water a lot so was not dripping or anything when i bunned it.

I wet bun and it's been great for my natural hair. Wet bunning did cause breakage when I was texlaxed tho--so I wouldn't wet bun regularly if I were relaxed/texlaxed. Anyway, I don't donut--I put it in a pony, twist, tuck and pin. That way, I can untwist it and remoisturize if I want and then retwist tuck and pin.

Last edited:
I've been doing wet ponytails and buns for about a month now. I didn't think much about it until I flat-ironed my hair this weekend and noticed a few strands touching bsl! I think wet bunning is excellent for retention. So I've found my summer style:grin:

If I'm not mistaken, Yvette, who grew her hair to almost WL and whose story is told here was a wet bunner. My guess is it works because one of the causes for split ends and breakage is dryness. So since water is the best moisturizer, when sealed in and then bunned away from drying air, then you're doing more to protect your ends.

What every happend to her?

I want to bun but I think my hair is not long enough.
I like to dry bun with the messy bun style not donut style.

Will my messy bun work?

I am relaxed

Last edited:

Picture24-vi.jpg

Picture28-vi.jpg

Very pretty.

I wet bun most of the time and I haven't had a bad experience with it.

Yes, I keep my hair in a wet bun and the regimen has taken me from NL to Waist length.
I co-wash, put my hair in a bun and let it dry over the next couple of days. When it gets messy I do the same thing again!

Good Luck

Help me ladies, b/c I am still a newbie. I just don't get it.

I understand how bunning helps with retention, but how do you brush/manage your hair wet? With a denman? With your fingers? How does pulling your hair back tight while wet help? I am not trying to be difficult, I was just always nervous to do that, b/c I assumed wet hair was weak to withstand that much tension.

Also, how do you sleep on your hair, if you keep it up in a bun? Does it depend on bun placement? Finally, how do you ensure that the edges look (and stay) good, without taking the bun down and re-doing it every day?

As you can see, I am probably just thinking WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY too much, but I want to get this right! Thanks in advance!

Help me ladies, b/c I am still a newbie. I just don't get it.

I understand how bunning helps with retention, but how do you brush/manage your hair wet? With a denman? With your fingers? How does pulling your hair back tight while wet help? I am not trying to be difficult, I was just always nervous to do that, b/c I assumed wet hair was weak to withstand that much tension.

Also, how do you sleep on your hair, if you keep it up in a bun? Does it depend on bun placement? Finally, how do you ensure that the edges look (and stay) good, without taking the bun down and re-doing it every day?

As you can see, I am probably just thinking WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY too much, but I want to get this right! Thanks in advance!

I finger-comb my hair when it is wet, unless it is a designated detangling day.

I release my hair at night from the bun, moisturize, seal and then just roll it under with my fingers and secure it with Good Hair Day pins; I sleep with a silk scarf over my hair which keeps my edges flat.

My co-wash'n'go bun is a life-saver. This is my designated hairstyle unless my hair is straightened. I have transitioned this way.

I have a question: If you wet bun all the time/ when you wear your hair straight or dry is it prone to breakage since you don't have the high moisture in it all the time?

Like back in the Jeri curl day when black hair grew and grew when it was "juicy" everyday and when people started to convert back to "dry" hair they experience breakage?

and if so how do you combat that?

I finger-comb my hair when it is wet, unless it is a designated detangling day.

I release my hair at night from the bun, moisturize, seal and then just roll it under with my fingers and secure it with Good Hair Day pins; I sleep with a silk scarf over my hair which keeps my edges flat.

Hum...ok, that makes sense. I keep hearing @ these good hair day pins, looks like that is added to my shopping list! Thanks for the reply!

I have a question: If you wet bun all the time/ when you wear your hair straight or dry is it prone to breakage since you don't have the high moisture in it all the time?

Like back in the Jeri curl day when black hair grew and grew when it was "juicy" everyday and when people started to convert back to "dry" hair they experience breakage?

and if so how do you combat that?

For me I co wash with a light protein conditioner (Mane n Tail)...and use a light protein leave in (Cantu Shea Butter ) and it helps keep my moisture and protein balanced....I have to be careful because I spritz daily with Aloe, glycerin, and rose water daily

Back