Wet bun disaster

SingBrina

Okay I am irritated! My wet buns have been looking nice, yeah, okay. But then I think to myself that I should take it down and press it to see how my hair is doing. Well the inside of my hair was so hard to comb out, the unrelaxed hair hurt to comb out those kinky curls. WAS IT BECAUSE IT WAS NOT MOISTURIZED THAT MUCH IN THERE? I just go and wash my hair and condition it, and I know I did not comb it that well because it was hard to press and there were still ity bity kinks that I couldnt press because it hurt so bad. So I had to just flat iron it and it came out. My hair wasnt as great as it normally is when I condition it and straighten it, I was upset.

I feel that I did not comb my hair out properly, and I feel that the inside of my hair was not moisturized well enough, if it had been it would have been easy to comb through.

So what moisturizer can I use for the inside of my hair, the outsides getting oil and stuff. Perhpas the inside is neglected in that bun... I need a good mositurizer for that.

And I dont think Hawiaan Silky is for my hair, that is off my list does not help with mositurizing. I am thinking of using S-Curl... what do you think?

But I am getting the urge to just put a relxer back in, that made my life easier, I cant take this transitioning stuff anymore. I am sure I wouldnt have this dillema

Oh but a good thing that happened is my hair got lighter, dont know why...hmmm

I take my bun down every night for a little bit, then put it back up in a very loose bun that keeps my ends protected, and sleep with a satin cap. I also don't go more that 4-5 (at maximum) without washing, conditioning, and combing my hair out. This helps because as soon it starts to get knotty, I'm detangling.

Have you tried Giovanni Direct Leave-In?

Okay I am irritated! My wet buns have been looking nice, yeah, okay. But then I think to myself that I should take it down and press it to see how my hair is doing. Well the inside of my hair was so hard to comb out, the unrelaxed hair hurt to comb out those kinky curls. WAS IT BECAUSE IT WAS NOT MOISTURIZED THAT MUCH IN THERE? I just go and wash my hair and condition it, and I know I did not comb it that well because it was hard to press and there were still ity bity kinks that I couldnt press because it hurt so bad. So I had to just flat iron it and it came out. My hair wasnt as great as it normally is when I condition it and straighten it, I was upset.

I feel that I did not comb my hair out properly, and I feel that the inside of my hair was not moisturized well enough, if it had been it would have been easy to comb through.

So what moisturizer can I use for the inside of my hair, the outsides getting oil and stuff. Perhpas the inside is neglected in that bun... I need a good mositurizer for that.

And I dont think Hawiaan Silky is for my hair, that is off my list does not help with mositurizing. I am thinking of using S-Curl... what do you think?

But I am getting the urge to just put a relxer back in, that made my life easier, I cant take this transitioning stuff anymore. I am sure I wouldnt have this dillema

Oh but a good thing that happened is my hair got lighter, dont know why...hmmm

When i wet bun i put conditioner in my hair and don't rinse it out, I have found that makes a huge difference. I use to have your same issue last year, the crown was so tangled couldnt run my finger thru it and it was brittle. Now i put Joico Intense Hydrator all in my hair and leave in for 2-3 days rinse out shampoo with WEN the put the Hydrator back in and go for another 2-3 days.

OP, this is one of the reasons that I decided not to wet bun...I used to get the same results when I would baggy my pony 2 years ago. I tried everything. My hair just doesn't like baggying and wet bunning. I also got a LOT of tangles from wet bunning as a transitioner. Have you tried ponytail/rollerset airdrying? That's been my miracle.

Also, I feel your transitioning frustration. Try setting one particular goal date for a good flat-ironing session. Remembering that I plan on straightening my hair in December is what gets me through the tough times.

I take my bun down every night for a little bit, then put it back up in a very loose bun that keeps my ends protected, and sleep with a satin cap. I also don't go more that 4-5 (at maximum) without washing, conditioning, and combing my hair out. This helps because as soon it starts to get knotty, I'm detangling.

Have you tried Giovanni Direct Leave-In?

Hey girl! No I have not tried that, is that a good leave in? Yeah I have been cowashing every three days.... but its that inside that starts to curl up and get all knoty or something... idk :/ its so irritating. But I know its because it needs a better moisturizer in there....

When i wet bun i put conditioner in my hair and don't rinse it out, I have found that makes a huge difference. I use to have your same issue last year, the crown was so tangled couldnt run my finger thru it and it was brittle. Now i put Joico Intense Hydrator all in my hair and leave in for 2-3 days rinse out shampoo with WEN the put the Hydrator back in and go for another 2-3 days.

Wow!!!!!!!!! Really!!?? So it is okay to keep conditioner in the hair, I thought it wasnt? Well that is cool!

OP, this is one of the reasons that I decided not to wet bun...I used to get the same results when I would baggy my pony 2 years ago. I tried everything. My hair just doesn't like baggying and wet bunning. I also got a LOT of tangles from wet bunning as a transitioner. Have you tried ponytail/rollerset airdrying? That's been my miracle.

Also, I feel your transitioning frustration. Try setting one particular goal date for a good flat-ironing session. Remembering that I plan on straightening my hair in December is what gets me through the tough times.

Yeah, but its like I still need to flat iron my hair at least once a week, airdrying makes my hair look crazy and dry! :/ Gosh I should just stick to my old regimen :/ yeah these wet buns must not be for me. Ill try once more, one day...

Yeah I think so.... is that what it is when you are growing out a relaxer :ohwell:

lol yes that's what it's called. You should post in the transitioning support threads. Ill bump them up for you.

How many weeks/months post are you?

For me, wet bunning became a nono after 6 months post because it would make my hair waaay to hard to detangle. I wish I could wet bun but I'm done with the hour+ detangling sessions. I'll get back to it when I'm fully natural.

As a natural with super thick hair, I am a little wary of wet bunning, even though I did to acheive my current PS (I'm rocking my version of the Southern Tease bun)...We'll see how it goes after this week.

lol yes that's what it's called. You should post in the transitioning support threads. Ill bump them up for you.

How many weeks/months post are you?

For me, wet bunning became a nono after 6 months post because it would make my hair waaay to hard to detangle. I wish I could wet bun but I'm done with the hour+ detangling sessions. I'll get back to it when I'm fully natural.

Oh so you dont wet bun? Then what do you do? I think I am like at least 10-12 months post, could be more though....

I wear braidouts everyday. Usually half up half down with a clip. Sometimes I do a messy bun or a lose pony or just wear it out but it's always from a braidout and I rebraid 2-4 braids every night.

I recently just found a better wet bunning method for me. Before I would have the same issue. The center/crown of my hair would be so dry and tangled. I'm a little over four months post right now. My new wet bunning method is also keep my hair much more moisturized, detangled and lessening breakage.

What I do is, first I wash my hair. I usually wash my hair twice a week, shampooing only if my scalp feels dirty/overly oily. Next I apply my leave in. For me, Lustrasilk Organic Cholesterol is the best leave in I've used so far. I slather it on in the shower and let it sit while I bathe. Then, I lightly rinse it out, so that some product remains, especially in the center of my head which is prone to dryness. Washing my hair and then applying a little bit of the Cholesterol after lightly towel drying also works. From there I gently comb through my hair, making sure the roots are detangled well. I let my hair air dry slightly, then apply my moisturizer (Cantu shea butter leave in), making sure I part my hair at the center of my head and rub moisturizer in there. Then I bun. My bun is just a pony tail that I twist then wrap around itself, securing it with a band. I make sure my ends are very damp when I bun. That way they stay moisturized all day. I don't sleep in the bun. I take it down, gently detangle with my fingers, combing the damp ends out. Then I just pin my hair up and wear a scarf to bed. I rebun daily, by spraying my hair with water, detangling it and then sealing with my moisturizer, then bunning.

I'm transitioning (maybe) for the second time. My NG is acting really well under this new method and for once it doesn't feel like a brillo pad.:perplexed My NG is type 4a and the rest of my hair is texlaxed to a 3c-like curl.

Good idea on leaving the conditioner in! I am gonna try that.

I too put conditioner in my hair that I don't rinse out. I use WEN SAM mixed with aloe vera juice and some coconut oil and apply from root to tip while in the shower and comb through. I also take down my bun every night and moisturize and seal. Lately, I've been using Bee Mine Juicy and coconut oil.

Wow!!!!!!!!! Really!!?? So it is okay to keep conditioner in the hair, I thought it wasnt? Well that is cool!

Keeping the condition in keeps hair soft and hydrated, i have been doing this since May now, and have not had a problem, I love Joico it really seems to keep my hair very soft and moist and yep i can put my fingers in the crown of my scalp and it not feel like barbed wire. I did start the WEN cleansing conditioner about 4 weeks ago and i think thats helped too, by not drying my hair out with the Sulfates in shampoos. Also you will see a nice wave pattern when your hair is up too. Another staple is Camiella kissi Oil, its the best for hair and penetrates hair better than any other oil.

Can you leave any conditioner in the hair for extended time? Eamples: V05 moisture milk conditioner, Joico Moisture Recovery, Aussie Moist or HE LTR, etc. are just a few conditioners I have at home and could possibly use for this.

I too put conditioner in my hair that I don't rinse out. I use WEN SAM mixed with aloe vera juice and some coconut oil and apply from root to tip while in the shower and comb through. I also take down my bun every night and moisturize and seal. Lately, I've been using Bee Mine Juicy and coconut oil.

So you leave in the conditioner too? Hmm I think this will help alot :)

Keeping the condition in keeps hair soft and hydrated, i have been doing this since May now, and have not had a problem, I love Joico it really seems to keep my hair very soft and moist and yep i can put my fingers in the crown of my scalp and it not feel like barbed wire. I did start the WEN cleansing conditioner about 4 weeks ago and i think thats helped too, by not drying my hair out with the Sulfates in shampoos. Also you will see a nice wave pattern when your hair is up too. Another staple is Camiella kissi Oil, its the best for hair and penetrates hair better than any other oil.

Really!? Where can I get that oil!? Well now I feel better about trying this again :)

Can you leave any conditioner in the hair for extended time? Eamples: V05 moisture milk conditioner, Joico Moisture Recovery, Aussie Moist or HE LTR, etc. are just a few conditioners I have at home and could possibly use for this.

Good question!!! :yep:

I leave in my hair for days at a time, I have not had any problems. I have done it with several brands not just Joico.

As a natural with super thick hair, I am a little wary of wet bunning, even though I did to acheive my current PS (I'm rocking my version of the Southern Tease bun)...We'll see how it goes after this week.

I have a ton of hair like you (pic is below). I haven't had any problems. I hope it works out for you!

Attachments

• Photo 193.jpg
    Photo 193.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 8
Cosigning in leaving in some condish. If I want a really neat, detangled bun on my final rinse, I only partially rinse the condish (Tresemme Naturals, white bottle is my new beau!), comb or paddle brush with the running shower for help, and secure my bun while holding my hair back and before it can start shrinking back in on itself.

Once the bun is set (generally the next day), I'll take it down and gently separate to get to the middle and seal with EVCO, then put it back up loosely.
I don't comb or manipulate my hair except for smoothing the edges, until the next wash day. Sometimes, I'll cowash mid-week if I have a intense workout or if I get the itch to wet my hair.

I had the same problem when I was air drying my hair on a regular basis. Relaxer time hurt SOOO much. I've resigned myself to roller setting ever time I wash so i'm forced to comb threw my hair thoroughly.

I dont think you leave your kinky hair(whether transitioning or natural ) just "out" and unstetched...Now I do I do braidout and I bun with that. Unless you are cowashing daily/every other day,you should probably bun stretched hair.Especially if you dont want breakage!
As for moisturizing try doing it in section.Focus on the new growth and and ends.At 10 months post I have no breakage and it has been easy except I hate all the shrinkage

Last edited:
Back