Well, I think I'm having a change of heart...

Nice & Wavy

:cool: I've been feeling a little iffy lately about my hair. I love, love, love it natural. I love the softness and the waves. I love the ease of just a wash and go and a pony puff. I love it all but after 8 months of being natural....I think I'm going to go back to relaxed hair.

I miss my hair staying straight. I straighten it now, but it doesn't last maybe two days tops. I'm tired of wearing the same ole' hairstyles and I just feel that now that I've gotten so much knowledge from so many ladies on the board about how to take better care of relaxed hair, I think I'm going to go for it. I'm going to wait until after the summer though...but I am going to do it.

Blessings.:p

you know, i have my days when i miss relaxed hair too. this is when i usually weave it up or pop on a wig - easy straight style without altering my hair. or in the colder months, i will sometimes press, but even then as you say it only lasts a few days.

but hey, if you're sure you'd prefer it relaxed again... i say go for it. i'm sure it will be lovely either way. :D

I totally understand this. However, while you are content with your natural locks I am sick of mine:perplexed I'm frustrated with the time consuming twists and braids, the non ability to run my fingers through my hair, constant spraying of moisturizers to keep my hair moist, shrinkage which makes me look as if I have a twa when I actually have a prety big fro', and just the overall fear of heat damage when I want to go straight with a flat iron. I refuse to return to the chemical and guess I will just have to deal with it. This is the way I was created and Most High don't make no mistakes. From now on I will look at my hair as a challenge. Now go on out there and get the relaxer you and I both want!:D

ladylibra said:
you know, i have my days when i miss relaxed hair too. this is when i usually weave it up or pop on a wig - easy straight style without altering my hair. or in the colder months, i will sometimes press, but even then as you say it only lasts a few days.

but hey, if you're sure you'd prefer it relaxed again... i say go for it. i'm sure it will be lovely either way. :D

yeah, I was in a bss this past Saturday trying on wigs, phony ponies, you name it, I was trying it, but I think that because its a temporary fix, it still will not give me what I'm looking for and that's hair that I can wear curly or straight. When I was relaxed before LHCF, I wore it curly sometimes and I liked it. I just didn't know how to take care of my hair the way I do now, so that is why I want to return. Yes, I'm sure and I do appreciate your support.

Blessings....:p

I definitely understand. Also, have you considered getting a dominican blowout? When I want bone straight/relaxed looking hair that's where I go, and it lasts. Just a thought. Best of wishes in whatever you do.

i feel the same way. my husband took me out on our date night. and i saw this girl with my old highlights and i was was like,.... aw i remember that....

and then i saw this girl with my old hair style, fire neck length bob with long layers. it was swinging and sooooo beautiful

i immediaitely wanted to get a phyto relaxer and get to relaxing. i figured that i have learned so much that i should be good with relaxing. I went ahead and rollersetted my hair so i could be really straight curly.
I have to remind myself summer is coming and along with that humidity which make my hair poof. Since i don't know what products to use if it is straight in humindity, i may tex lax and call it a day. understand the heartache

NantanYah said:
I totally understand this. However, while you are content with your natural locks I am sick of mine:perplexed I'm frustrated with the time consuming twists and braids, the non ability to run my fingers through my hair, constant spraying of moisturizers to keep my hair moist, shrinkage which makes me look as if I have a twa when I actually have a prety big fro', and just the overall fear of heat damage when I want to go straight with a flat iron. I refuse to return to the chemical and guess I will just have to deal with it. This is the way I was created and Most High don't make no mistakes. From now on I will look at my hair as a challenge. Now go on out there and get the relaxer you and I both want!:D

You are absolutely right, The Most High God, does not make any mistakes! He has created me with the most beautiful curls and I love them, I'm just not into the challenge thing with my hair at this time of my life...guess, I'm getting to old for all that now....LOL!

Now, after the summer....I'm going to go out there and get the relaxer you want girl!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

dede1174 said:
i feel the same way. my husband took me out on our date night. and i saw this girl with my old highlights and i was was like,.... aw i remember that....

and then i saw this girl with my old hair style, fire neck length bob with long layers. it was swinging and sooooo beautiful

i immediaitely wanted to get a phyto relaxer and get to relaxing. i figured that i have learned so much that i should be good with relaxing. I went ahead and rollersetted my hair so i could be really straight curly.
I have to remind myself summer is coming and along with that humidity which make my hair poof. Since i don't know what products to use if it is straight in humindity, i may tex lax and call it a day. understand the heartache

I think that was my problem too...I rollerset my hair and it didn't last...all that work and nothing...I think I'm just fed up with the whole thing. Thanks for understanding.

imstush said:
I definitely understand. Also, have you considered getting a dominican blowout? When I want bone straight/relaxed looking hair that's where I go, and it lasts. Just a thought. Best of wishes in whatever you do.

Thank you so much. :p

I did but I was a little apprehensive only because my hair is so fine and from reading many posts about people who get it done, it sounds like its painful and I had pictures in my mind of my hair all over the floor.

If anyone else who has fine hair and had a dominican blow out done before and can share with me, please do. Thanks.

Added: I just saw this thread:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=114983&highlight=Dominican+Blowouts

and the response given by Kinikakes helped me make my decision....I won't get any blowouts. But thanks for your advice!

Last edited:
if you ahve fine hari then youa re in the same boat as me. i have done dominican blowouts which for hair- is acary and pretty at the same time. the heats scares me sometimes but i come out so pretty.

but if i co-wash my hair towel dry coat with oil, mostrizer adn spray lottabody ( 3 parts / 1 part water) i use large black rollers and rolelr set. i ususally lasts 3 to 4 days with a silk cap.

ladylibra said:

I feel this way some days myself. So to keep from relaxing I put my hair away. That's why I got braids spur of the moment last week. I don't think I'll ever go back to the relaxer though. If I get my hair flat ironed at the salon it'll stay for a while. I don't really like straight hair on me anymore anyway. So it doesn't matter. I can deal with it should I want my hair straight for a week or two.

Nice & Wavy said:
Thank you so much. :p

I did but I was a little apprehensive only because my hair is so fine and from reading many posts about people who get it done, it sounds like its painful and I had pictures in my mind of my hair all over the floor.

If anyone else who has fine hair and had a dominican blow out done before and can share with me, please do. Thanks.

Added: I just saw this thread:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=114983&highlight=Dominican+Blowouts

and the response given by Kinikakes helped me make my decision....I won't get any blowouts. But thanks for your advice!

hmmmmm understood. I guess that's why I stick to very rare special occasions. Good luck on your hair journey either way.

Nice and Wavy I understand. Its only hair and you can always change up again. :)
I'm texturized. Last week I was tempted to relax my hair bone straight. I go through phases where I really miss my rollersets and I miss being able to wear my hats. I also feel that I have learned alot here to maintain bone straight relaxed hair if I ever decide to go back.
I have to be realistic and stay texturized. I'm hair lazy so I would be right back in the salon giving up 150 and sometimes more a month.

dede1174 said:
if you ahve fine hari then youa re in the same boat as me. i have done dominican blowouts which for hair- is acary and pretty at the same time. the heats scares me sometimes but i come out so pretty.

but if i co-wash my hair towel dry coat with oil, mostrizer adn spray lottabody ( 3 parts / 1 part water) i use large black rollers and rolelr set. i ususally lasts 3 to 4 days with a silk cap.

My hair just doesn't last...I only straighten maybe once every 2 months or so, just to see length. I think I'm tired of that part of it, you know what I mean? Just straighten to see length....I don't like it, just isn't fitting me like I thought it would.

bmoreflyygirl said:
I feel this way some days myself. So to keep from relaxing I put my hair away. That's why I got braids spur of the moment last week. I don't think I'll ever go back to the relaxer though. If I get my hair flat ironed at the salon it'll stay for a while. I don't really like straight hair on me anymore anyway. So it doesn't matter. I can deal with it should I want my hair straight for a week or two.

I wanted to get braids, but my hair frizzes something terrible so that won't work. Maybe I'll try to get it done at a salon and see what happens. Thanks, bmoreflygirl.

I know how you feel.

It is your hair and I can't wait to see the results... because I know you'll look nice either way! :)

I battle with this decision daily especially when I see a lot of women here maintaining great lengths and they have relaxed hair. But I notice a trend. The ones that have great length with relaxed hair wear protective styles out the butt, so for me I decided to keep with my natural journey. But I completely understand being tired of twists and such and wanting something different. I don't wear straight hair personally I always have gotten roller sets and kept it moving. So I get those kind of 1/2 wigs and i love it. But you are right, being here has helped me realize that if one day I wake up and say that I want to texlax my hair, I can and I can retain length because so many here have done so.

firecracker said:
Nice and Wavy I understand. Its only hair and you can always change up again. :)
I'm texturized. Last week I was tempted to relax my hair bone straight. I go through phases where I really miss my rollersets and I miss being able to wear my hats. I also feel that I have learned alot here to maintain bone straight relaxed hair if I ever decide to go back.
I have to be realistic and stay texturized. I'm hair lazy so I would be right back in the salon giving up 150 and sometimes more a month.

Thanks, firecracker. When I use to relax my hair, I never got it bone straight...I guess I was texlaxing and not knowing it, but I always kept a loose curl/wave with it, but at least I was able to do more with it.

I do appreciate your advise.

Hair twin, get out of my mind!!!! I have been feeling exactly the same way lately. I am getting so tired of wearing this bun. There are only so many cute barrettes in the world! :lol: I have an entry in my journal about how I am trying to resist the urge to relax bone straight. I am in the 2007 Bootcamp so I am not "supposed" to use heat, but what I think I may do is buy a MaxiGlide and see how I like flatironed hair, then make a decision after I try a few wash n' gos/braidouts in the summer.

This is exactly how I have been feeling since the beginning of the year. I haven't had a relaxer in about 2 years now. In the past, I knew about this board but didn't invest the time to really learn and pick up some good tips. Now, since I've been on the board daily, I'm confident that I can take better care of relaxed hair. I'm actually scheduled to see my stylist tomorrow to get my relaxer. I'll let you ladies know how it turns out. I'm excited!

N&W, I can TOTALLY relate to your feelings. I'm heading the same direction. After a 16 months with no relaxer and much growth/acceptance, I'm ready to texlax again. I wrestled with the decision, but it's REALLY only hair...and with the plethora of information available here, nothing's permanent because there are so many tools and techniques to help LHCF ladies go from bone straight to 100% natural and everything in between.

ITA that you'd probably be able to take better care of it after being on LHCF. I hear a lot of naturals say that they wish they had found LHCF before they went natural. Much of the problems relaxed heads have is simply misinformation moreso than a relaxer being impossible to maintain on healthy hair.

Anyway, best wishes to you, and please update us on how it goes. Are you going to a stylist or are you going to do it yourself?

Blackoutzangel05 said:
I battle with this decision daily especially when I see a lot of women here maintaining great lengths and they have relaxed hair. But I notice a trend. The ones that have great length with relaxed hair wear protective styles out the butt, so for me I decided to keep with my natural journey. But I completely understand being tired of twists and such and wanting something different. I don't wear straight hair personally I always have gotten roller sets and kept it moving. So I get those kind of 1/2 wigs and i love it. But you are right, being here has helped me realize that if one day I wake up and say that I want to texlax my hair, I can and I can retain length because so many here have done so.

I'm glad you understand how I feel. Thanks so much.;)

If you think it's best...then I suppose you can.:look: I think if it works for you it's good for you. But you will be missed on this side of the fence:(.:)Good luck!

Welcome back. :wink2: I go from natural to relaxed every 2-3 years; I'm texturized now. To me going from natural to relaxed and back again is one of joys of having texturized hair.

PatTodd said:
Hair twin, get out of my mind!!!! I have been feeling exactly the same way lately. I am getting so tired of wearing this bun. There are only so many cute barrettes in the world! :lol: I have an entry in my journal about how I am trying to resist the urge to relax bone straight. I am in the 2007 Bootcamp so I am not "supposed" to use heat, but what I think I may do is buy a MaxiGlide and see how I like flatironed hair, then make a decision after I try a few wash n' gos/braidouts in the summer.

LOL.....:grin: You made me laugh, girl! Thanks.

MsJellie said:
This is exactly how I have been feeling since the beginning of the year. I haven't had a relaxer in about 2 years now. In the past, I knew about this board but didn't invest the time to really learn and pick up some good tips. Now, since I've been on the board daily, I'm confident that I can take better care of relaxed hair. I'm actually scheduled to see my stylist tomorrow to get my relaxer. I'll let you ladies know how it turns out. I'm excited!

Wow, you are going to get one now....I hope you love it and I pray that all goes well for you. I can't wait to see how it turns out for you too!!!

I've been feeling like texlaxing my hair lately. It's been almost 3 years since my last relaxer and I swore I wouldn't go back. I love wearing my hair curly and I love it straight as well, but I wish that my curls hung loser to show my length better. We'll see how it looks in another year or so and than I might just consider texlaxing.

Divine Inspiration said:
N&W, I can TOTALLY relate to your feelings. I'm heading the same direction. After a 16 months with no relaxer and much growth/acceptance, I'm ready to texlax again. I wrestled with the decision, but it's REALLY only hair...and with the plethora of information available here, nothing's permanent because there are so many tools and techniques to help LHCF ladies go from bone straight to 100% natural and everything in between.

ITA that you'd probably be able to take better care of it after being on LHCF. I hear a lot of naturals say that they wish they had found LHCF before they went natural. Much of the problems relaxed heads have is simply misinformation moreso than a relaxer being impossible to maintain on healthy hair.

Anyway, best wishes to you, and please update us on how it goes. Are you going to a stylist or are you going to do it yourself?[/quote]

Wow, I didn't even realize that you were natural...your hair always looks so straight ;) ! Thanks for the wishes and I will update after the summer is over.

At the bolded, I think I'm going to do it myself. I always did my own relaxer because everytime I used to go to the salon, they always made my hair bone, bone straight and my hair is too fine for that, so I will be doing it myself. I know I have all of you ladies on the board to assist me in my transisition to relaxed, texlax, whatever it will turn out to be.:D

bLackButtaFly said:
If you think it's best...then I suppose you can.:look: I think if it works for you it's good for you. But you will be missed on this side of the fence:(.:)Good luck!

Thanks, blackbuttafly....I will miss the natural side of town too!

Back