**WEEKLY HEAT**

DominicanBrazilian82

I know that retention is all about no heat, protective styling and amazing product use; however, are there any LHCF ladies that use heat weekly and have had NO issues with retention and health?

My current weekly regiment is:

Wash
DC
Leave In
Heat Protectant
Alternate between Rollersetting and Root Blowout or Blowdry and Flat Iron

The weekly regiment I would like to have (if I could find the time between a 2 year old little (big) boy, 2 jobs and volunteer coaching), is:

Wash 1x Weekly
DC 2x Weekly (Once with wash, once with co-wash)
Co-Wash 1x Weekly
Prepoo 2x Weekly (Once for wash, once for cowash)
Ends Sealing
Leave-in conditioner after each wash/cowash
Pre-heat serum
Ends Baggy 1x Biweekly

My current products are:

Shampoo/Conditioner:
Loreal Sulfate Free Shampoo
Loreal Sulfate Free Conditioner
Silk Dreams Go Moist Shampoo - Just Ordered
Silk Dreams Whip My Hair Cleansing Conditioner - Just Ordered

I alternate between conditioners for my DC
La Bomba Conditioner - DC
Alter Ego Garlic Conditioner - DC
Silicon Mix - DC
Silicon Proteina de Perla - DC (Protein Treatments bi-weekly)
10-en-1 Conditioner - DC
Vanilla Cream Silk Moisture Dream - DC - Just Ordered

Leave-Ins
Baba de Caracol
Lacio Lacio (non-keratin)

Pre-poo Oils
Almond Oil
Garlic Oil
EVCO

Termination Products
A Dominican product that contains wheat germ and argan oil.

Wrap my hair EVERY night with my silk scarf.

Daily Vitamin Intake - Since 5/31/12
Hair/Skin/Nails x3
Biotin x5 (1000mcg each)
MSM x3
Aloe Vera Supplement x1
Garlic Oil x1
Fish Oil x1
Caster Oil x1
Zinc x1

Not sure if these things will keep my hair healthy with weekly heat application; however, maintained tresses is important for my line of work. Protective styling would be easier if my hair were longer (4B with length between neck and shoulder). So I hope that my heat applications does not hinder my growth progress.

Also, aside for the products I listed, any suggestions on the following? I like flowy hair, so anything that weighs down makes me look like a greasy mess!

- Sealing Oils (not heavy in weight)
- Deep Conditioners
- Chelating/Clarifying Shampoos
- Leave in Conditioners

Any response would be helpful... You ladies are all inspiring.

Last edited:
Walks in slowly and raises hand...I blow dry and flat iron about every 10 days. I know that's counter productive to a HHJ but my hair does very well despite the amount of heat I use on it. I always use a heat protectant and I DC overnight before using heat. I'm natural and almost MBL.

DominicanBrazilian82; I'mma have to get the name of those two dominican products you're talking about... (or is it just the one? The pre heat leave in/the one with wheat germ & argan oil)

I dont have much else to add, except, my hair thrived and grew the most when I used to go to the salon on a weekly basis. I always got a rollerset and blow out; I only had my roots blown out when I had a fresh relaxer.

it can work. i did it before. i was getting my hair heat styled weekly until i reached a little pass SL and started getting flexi rod sets. the key was not using heat daily and on freshly washed hair.

I have a Dominican Beauty Supply in my area that I go to on a monthly basis and rack up on mostly conditioners, my linange relaxer and a few heat serums. I love this place. They have EVERYTHING...

Last edited:
@DominicanBrazilian82; I'mma have to get the name of those two dominican products you're talking about... (or is it just the one? The pre heat leave in/the one with wheat germ & argan oil)

I dont have much else to add, except, my hair thrived and grew the most when I used to go to the salon on a weekly basis. I always got a rollerset and blow out; I only had my roots blown out when I had a fresh relaxer.

I'll find out for you tonight what the product names are (at work). But they work lovely. I go to the Dominican Beauty supply once a month and she always gives me great tips on the best products!

Like you, rollersets with a root blow out works so well in my favor too! But from reading posts on LHCF, I felt like I was going against the grain for applying heat weekly.

it can work. i did it before. i was getting my hair heat styled weekly until i reached a little pass SL and started getting flexi rod sets. the key was not using heat daily and on freshly washed hair.

That makes a lot of sense. I only use heat once when I wash, but if I am going to co-wash, I dont have a lot of length for PSing. So I might wait to add the co-wash and secondary dc until my hair gets a little longer.

Thanks!

Where did you get this from?-------->>>>>I know that retention is all about no heat,

Co-signing,
My best friends has thick mid back length relaxed hair that she gets done every week. Her stylist uses a hooded dryer for the most part,they may use a hand held to get to the roots and then it is flat-ironed. She doesn't use heat daily.

Co-signing,
My best friends has thick mid back length relaxed hair that she gets done every week. Her stylist uses a hooded dryer for the most part,they may use a hand held to get to the roots and then it is flat-ironed. She doesn't use heat daily.

Ooooooh! Love to hear things like this. It makes me feel as though my weekly heat process is not going to deter my growth.

Like you stated earlier, it's about trial and error. As long as you notice your hair getting longer from month to month and that your ends are healthy, then it's working for you. The thing about heat is, it's not only that your using, it's also how you're using it (direct v. indirect), what temperature it's on, how many passes you do each time, ect. All these things tend to vary from person to person. So my advice would be to pay attention to your ends which are the oldest part of your hair to ensure that they're not getting negatively affected.

I use to straighten my natural hair weekly for over a year, I retained most of my length then I got really lazy. It just takes tooo long.

First I think you need to have the type of hair that can withstand a lot of heat and punishment, second I don't think it is as practical with having a relaxer. I had the same regimen as a relax girl and boy it was not pretty. I think it is something that you really have to see for your self, everyone's response to frequent heat regimen is different. I wouldn't start this regimen if my hair isn't already in Tip-top shape.

Walks in slowly and raises hand...I blow dry and flat iron about every 10 days. I know that's counter productive to a HHJ but my hair does very well despite the amount of heat I use on it. I always use a heat protectant and I DC overnight before using heat. I'm natural and almost MBL.

Any current pics of your hair?

Co-signing,

that is exactly what my stylist did. she would put me under the dryer and use a blow dryer to straighten the waves out a bit. then she would flat iron. i would wrap my hair for the week.

I'm a weekly (every 10 days or so) heat user, as well. I just cannot airdry to my satisfaction. My hair sheds and tangles and it's just a mess. I use salon quality products and don't have any issues. A couple years ago when I was an avid rollersetter, my hair was definitely healthier, but heat use hasn't been an issue for me since the past year and a half I've been doing it. I retain the same as I did when I rollerset every 5 days.

ETA: I use the dryer on medium heat and the occasional high bursts depending on how much new growth I have. I used to flat iron at 370 when I was more texlaxed, but now I flat iron with one pass at like 320 at the most. My siggy is the result of that. All I use on my hair is heat protectant spray and maaaaaaaaybe a smidge of leave in just to use up some I have in my stash.

Last edited:
Im sorry that's going to eventually lead to damage no matter how much protection you feel you're giving your hair. Weekly heat IMO is ridiculous and counterproductive if your intent is to retain length. Everyone's hair is different but we all have one thing in common, if we abuse heat we will eventually have damaged/split ends that will need to come off by the inches. You may retain but who in the world wants to retain split/damaged ends? Not I

Last edited:
Ok I just went through your regimen and I'm going to be tactful yet completely honest. It is entirely too many steps and too long. There is no way you're going to stick to that long, strict regimen. My advice is to keep it simple. You're going to revise your regi atleast 9 or 10x or more. I revised mine 10x until I got it just right and I found that simpler is better. I know you're keeping in mind that you're (sorry if this isn't your regimen, I mean in general if it isn't) preparing for the weekly heat, but this is too much.

Also a frequent heat user, I used to do it every week, now it's more like every other week or so (just because I have grown tired of straightening this hair, too much now).

I just never blow dry. I always air dry and use heat protectant. No problems for me. However, I do DC once a week (or twice if it is my off week). I use oil to massage my scalp when straight and also use some oil on the ends to make sure that they do not dry out. I take a quarter (dime doesn't work for me) size amount and run from the root to the tip of hair. Then wrap it up. I do that every 2 days that it is straight.

IDK, I just know what works for me! I flat iron when I feel like it. tbh

TheMenAllPause said:
I'm getting my hair done on the 18th and I plan on taking more hair pics then. For now it's just in a bun or a ponytail.

I forgot I had these from June, I went to a wedding and got it curled.

ForumRunner_20120808_203903.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120808_203938.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120808_203938.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 119
I used to be attempting to heat train, my hair likes heat, i retain better with heat!...The only reason i stopped is because i have very dry low porosity hair, and heat makes my hair even dryer, that mixed with silicons for heat protection is a disaster for my dry brittle hair....so as of the last few months i have avoided heat, and i doubt i will use it for at least a year...but sometimes i miss it :(

Don't knock it until you've tried it the right way - the right way for your hair.

I'm a weekly heat user on natural, combination 4ab hair. I have more issues when I don't use heat (SSKs). This summer I've stretched it out to 2 weeks but that's because the moisture level of my hair has allowed me to. As long as my hair is soft, not stiff, and not shedding/breaking, I can leave it alone. Otherwise, those are indicators that my hair is overdue for TLC.

I only use shampoo once a month. I usually DC overnight, rinse, towel/t-shirt dry, apply leave-in and heat protector, blow dry, then flat iron and I get great results for me. I use to heat train but I found it wasn't necessary. My hair responds well to heat and it only takes one swipe of the flat iron. I started using Silk Elements Cholesterol Conditioner and it isn't necessary that I sleep in it overnight. 30 minutes to one hour and I get the softness that I'm looking for (I do not use a hooded dryer just body heat). I haven't had to trim in a few months because my ends are great and I'm retaining length on schedule based on my growth rate. I believe I'll make BSL in 5 more months.

Good luck in finding what works best for you!

Ok I just went through your regimen and I'm going to be tactful yet completely honest. It is entirely too many steps and too long. There is no way you're going to stick to that long, strict regimen. My advice is to keep it simple. You're going to revise your regi atleast 9 or 10x or more. I revised mine 10x until I got it just right and I found that simpler is better. I know you're keeping in mind that you're (sorry if this isn't your regimen, I mean in general if it isn't) preparing for the weekly heat, but this is too much.

My regimen is only wash, deep condition, rollerset and root blow out! How is that too long? I dont use all of those products each time. I'm confused as to what is too long? I listed my products because I wanted everyone to know what I was using. Help me understand what is too long about that O_o

Don't knock it until you've tried it the right way - the right way for your hair.

I'm a weekly heat user on natural, combination 4ab hair. I have more issues when I don't use heat (SSKs). This summer I've stretched it out to 2 weeks but that's because the moisture level of my hair has allowed me to. As long as my hair is soft, not stiff, and not shedding/breaking, I can leave it alone. Otherwise, those are indicators that my hair is overdue for TLC.

I only use shampoo once a month. I usually DC overnight, rinse, towel/t-shirt dry, apply leave-in and heat protector, blow dry, then flat iron and I get great results for me. I use to heat train but I found it wasn't necessary. My hair responds well to heat and it only takes one swipe of the flat iron. I started using Silk Elements Cholesterol Conditioner and it isn't necessary that I sleep in it overnight. 30 minutes to one hour and I get the softness that I'm looking for (I do not use a hooded dryer just body heat). I haven't had to trim in a few months because my ends are great and I'm retaining length on schedule based on my growth rate. I believe I'll make BSL in 5 more months.

Good luck in finding what works best for you!

Thanks doll! You have inspired my heat continuance!

Like you stated earlier, it's about trial and error. As long as you notice your hair getting longer from month to month and that your ends are healthy, then it's working for you. The thing about heat is, it's not only that your using, it's also how you're using it (direct v. indirect), what temperature it's on, how many passes you do each time, ect. All these things tend to vary from person to person. So my advice would be to pay attention to your ends which are the oldest part of your hair to ensure that they're not getting negatively affected.

completely agree with this. be careful and pay attention to your hair. i had to cut off 5-7 inches of hair because of mid-shaft splits before and my best guess is that those splits were caused by improper use of heat. just make sure you're doing your due diligence and paying attention to what the heat application is doing to your hair so that you don't end up in a similar situation

@DominicanBrazilian82; I'mma have to get the name of those two dominican products you're talking about... (or is it just the one? The pre heat leave in/the one with wheat germ & argan oil)

The products that I was speaking of are:

- Organic Leave In - by Donna Bella Perla (Termination Oil)
- BioHair-Care Hair Serum Heat Protector (Heat Protectant)

I used to blow dry my hair 2-3 a week with no problems. When I was doing that my hair was BSL. The only thing is I didn't flat iron my hair afterwards. I would blow it dry and put it in a pony tail and then blow dry the pony tail throughout the week. But I think if your hair is strong enough and you continue with the DC and heat protectant you should be fine. As long as your not prone to breakage. BTW your reggies looks great, I might have to steal it! :)

Back