**WEEKLY HEAT**

It all depends on what your hair can handle. I know many are anti heat but everyone's head is different. I don't think the flat iron is so bad if your hair is already in good condition and has strength to it. The dominican blow drying technique is a heat technique that seems to cause the most damage when done especially from root to tip. Also, the frequency of your heat usage and the technique matters a lot. I was trying to explain to my mom that flat ironing is truly a skill. All this time I figured how hard is it to run an iron down your hair shaft, but a skilled hand knows exactly how to get hair silky smooth with minimal passes.

Don't knock it until you've tried it the right way - the right way for your hair.

I'm a weekly heat user on natural, combination 4ab hair. I have more issues when I don't use heat (SSKs). This summer I've stretched it out to 2 weeks but that's because the moisture level of my hair has allowed me to. As long as my hair is soft, not stiff, and not shedding/breaking, I can leave it alone. Otherwise, those are indicators that my hair is overdue for TLC.

I only use shampoo once a month. I usually DC overnight, rinse, towel/t-shirt dry, apply leave-in and heat protector, blow dry, then flat iron and I get great results for me. I use to heat train but I found it wasn't necessary. My hair responds well to heat and it only takes one swipe of the flat iron. I started using Silk Elements Cholesterol Conditioner and it isn't necessary that I sleep in it overnight. 30 minutes to one hour and I get the softness that I'm looking for (I do not use a hooded dryer just body heat). I haven't had to trim in a few months because my ends are great and I'm retaining length on schedule based on my growth rate. I believe I'll make BSL in 5 more months.

Good luck in finding what works best for you!

I have just added a weekly blowdry to my regimine. My ends couldn't be any more jacked up than they are now with exclusive air drying. Air drying has been extremely damaging for my natural hair.

I am relaxed 4a/4b and I use heat every 7-10 days. My hair has been foing ok until recently, but thats because I kind of slacked on my regimin.

If I take the time to pre-poo, deep condition, and use my heat protectant like I should, then my hair does great. I recently had my styllist cut 2 inches of my hair because my ends were split and dry.

Now I feel like I have a fresh start and can get to BSL as long as I take care of my hair.

LongHairDontCare2011 uses heat (blow dry and/or flat iron) quite frequently and her hair is butt length. So the heat + retention issue is totally based on your own hair type.

I also use heat weekly (air drying takes too long) by passing the handheld over 12 sections of my slightly damp hair for less than a minute each and I have retained length quite nicely. Closing in on BSL.

When using heat, I would highly recommend that moisture is incorporated in every part of your regimen (DC, leave in, styling). You should know which of the products works best in that department for you.

Also OP I do think your proposed regimen has MANY steps to keep up with the life of someone with 2 jobs and a 2 year old. I would stick to DCing once a week, roller setting your hair for initial curls and rolling your hair every night or pin curling to retain your style.

I have just added a weekly blowdry to my regimine. My ends couldn't be any more jacked up than they are now with exclusive air drying. Air drying has been extremely damaging for my natural hair.

I agree. Air drying leaves my hair brittle and it tends to break more. I blow dry on the lowest heat temperature as well as flat iron on the second to lowest. I use a professional grade blow dryer that I brought off my previous stylist. Heat has helped MY hair remain healthy.

I mentioned in my picture journey how damaged my hair became after several keratin treatments (over protein processing). The heat, which I initialy contributed to my breakage, was not the total issue, it was in fact the imbalance of protein vs. moisture that I was experiencing.

But I am constantly learning, and you guys are, without realizing, my teachers :)

I blow dry randomly throughout the week and haven't had any issues retaining length. Flat ironing more than once a month destroys my ends though.

I'm going back to incorporating some form of safe heat for my hair. Air drying is killing my ends.

LongHairDontCare2011 uses heat (blow dry and/or flat iron) quite frequently and her hair is butt length. So the heat + retention issue is totally based on your own hair type.

I also use heat weekly (air drying takes too long) by passing the handheld over 12 sections of my slightly damp hair for less than a minute each and I have retained length quite nicely. Closing in on BSL.

When using heat, I would highly recommend that moisture is incorporated in every part of your regimen (DC, leave in, styling). You should know which of the products works best in that department for you.

Also OP I do think your proposed regimen has MANY steps to keep up with the life of someone with 2 jobs and a 2 year old. I would stick to DCing once a week, roller setting your hair for initial curls and rolling your hair every night or pin curling to retain your style.

Im not sure if I listed my regimen clearly, but the proposed weekly regimen that I would like includes a lot of steps that I don't have time for. But the weekly regimen that I currently have is exactly what you mentioned: wash, dc, leave in, heat protectant, seal (sometimes), rollerset and nightly wrapping. It takes me all of 1.5 hours to complete my regi each week. Sorry if it reads a little confusing :(

The weekly regi that I want to do, if time permitted, is: prepoo (oils) 2x, poo 1x, co-wash 1x, dc 2x, rollerset 1x, end sealing 2x, end-baggy 1x (bi-weekly) wrapping (always), pin curling (not really ever). I dont have a lot of time to prepoo, co-wash, seal and baggy (although I do seal my ends with heat protectant).

And your hair is gorge beautiful!

Last edited:
I blow dry randomly throughout the week and haven't had any issues retaining length. Flat ironing more than once a month destroys my ends though.

I think flat ironing does have a more direct heat process. I'm finding that rollersetting and a low-temp root blow out is helping my hair flourish!

Beautiful Hair!

I am relaxed 4a/4b and I use heat every 7-10 days. My hair has been foing ok until recently, but thats because I kind of slacked on my regimin.

If I take the time to pre-poo, deep condition, and use my heat protectant like I should, then my hair does great. I recently had my styllist cut 2 inches of my hair because my ends were split and dry.

Now I feel like I have a fresh start and can get to BSL as long as I take care of my hair.

Your regi is very similar to mine. I think that out of everything I wish I would do, prepoo is one that I will be sure to start doing. Those oils on my scalp are very helpful for my new growth and traveling down my hair shaft. Thanks!

I realize this is a touchy subject for some, but I have personally used heat every 10-14 days with no problems at all. I have thickness from root to tip and my curl pattern has not changed in any way.
I have also helped several women use heat more effectively without suffering from breakage and dryness. My clients all have healthy, vibrant hair and its all because I prep the hair properly, use quality tools, and understand the appropriate heat setting for each person.

As so many posters have mentioned, the key to using heat is to use it on freshly washed and conditioned hair and to stay away from mid-week heat touch ups. You also must invest in quality tools. cheap flat irons WILL burn your hair and cause breakage.

beana said:
I realize this is a touchy subject for some, but I have personally used heat every 10-14 days with no problems at all. I have thickness from root to tip and my curl pattern has not changed in any way.
I have also helped several women use heat more effectively without suffering from breakage and dryness. My clients all have healthy, vibrant hair and its all because I prep the hair properly, use quality tools, and understand the appropriate heat setting for each person.

As so many posters have mentioned, the key to using heat is to use it on freshly washed and conditioned hair and to stay away from mid-week heat touch ups. You also must invest in quality tools. cheap flat irons WILL burn your hair and cause breakage.

I totally agree :)

Ladies... Need some moisture rich DC's if anyone knows of any good ones. Moisture is so important for my hair and I am not as versed on the brands that are favored :)

OP,i used to use heat weekly, i saw progress but it wasnt quick, and i thought i was a slow grower.i movd it to every two weeks, and made Apl finally,then i had my fourth child and got lazy and moved it to once a month :yep:, now i am an inch from waist lenght,within a 18months. i dont know, but heat didnt kill my hair, but maybe i could have maet the mile stones quicker if i reduced the frequency. less is more with handling our hair too, my hair loves being left alone, and heat lets me do this.Good Luck with your hair journey,your product list is Fab!!!:yep:

Back