Weave Experts - Your Thoughts Wanted (pics)

05girl

Hey guys. Sooooo last I week I decided to just use virgin indian remy since that's what my stylist and friends are recommending. Then I got samples of Senghori Shells VI, Natural Relaxed and Straight Relaxed and I'm all undecided again.

Please look at my pics and let me know what you think I should use for my very first weave. 12-14". Note that I will not use a closure:
virgin indian wavy - worried about blending.
virgin malaysian (straight? wavy?) - considering, my weavologist has it.
SS natural relaxed - i like but since it doesn't curl well not liking the picture of straight slight-kinky hair.
also, do you think I'm a 1B or a 2 in color?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66182028@N04 Hopefully this link works!

My goal is to have nice bouncy feathered hair when I want to look good, straight/bumped/twist out for everyday style.

Thanks guys!

You can't go wrong with virgin indian hair because the texture is so close to straightened AA relaxed hair.

I would stay away from the wavy stuff unless you're going to be keeping your hair curled or twisted out a lot. Otherwise, it will be a pain straightening that stuff out all the time.

You look like a #2 in color. Can you post pics of the look you're going for? All your weave choices really depend on the look you're trying to achieve.

I have the Senghori in natural and it looks like relaxed hair with some added crinkles. It doesn't hold curls well unless you have a great flat iron (FHI or izunami at 400). However it does look very natural. The wefts doent have much hair on them either so you'll need 1 1/2-2 packs, but the texture is a great match.

I know a lot of people love virgin indian hair, but I don't like it at all... i dont think it matches well with most black women's hair unless its processed to be low lustre (which means its not longer "virgin")

beana Would love to hear more or see pics of your experience with SSNR. here are some examples of the looks I'd like:

straight/feathered look
http://public.fotki.com/amandita-bhm2/style-and-flair-the/halleys-curls-relax-13.html
http://public.fotki.com/amandita-bhm2/style-and-flair-the/indian-hair-proved-2.html#media

wavy haired/twist out look... not sure I have an example. in my head just a typical twist out look. maybe something like this? http://bit.ly/n04Jnj Or curlier http://bit.ly/nZ2Wcb. Definitely hair that will wave/curl when wet. I am only concerned with twist-out ability b/c of my working out and wanting to not use heat on my leaveout.

So this is the hair i'm going to get for my next install. I don't hear to many bad things about it. You should go to bhm cafe and type in Senghori Shells or even google it a couple of you tube vid comparisons have come up.

Hey cinnespice, I have been up and down the bhm boards and still feel confused. I even got samples from senghori shells and still confused. My hang-up with SS is that it may not hold curl.

It not holding curls well can be helped by using Sebastian shaper plus. Holds the curls but u keep the swing. just a thought.

@05girl i have two pics of installs with SS natural, I flat ironed it with my sedu on 410 and it barely held a bump/curl. It holds a curl with my fhi or izunami

I used color 1b 12". My weave and real hair (in my avi pic) look almost identical, im using weaves to transition.

Last edited:
Hey cinnespice, I have been up and down the bhm boards and still feel confused. I even got samples from senghori shells and still confused. My hang-up with SS is that it may not hold curl.
I heard that but I also saw that it depends on what you put in the hair to hold the curl. Girl i looked at every piece of hair. I used to use wagman's but the price is too much for me right now. beana Did you ever try a roller set or flexirods. And other than curls did you have any other problems like shedding or tangling? I like the way the hair looks.

@cinnespice and @05girl

I don't like too much curl, The attached pic is how i like my hair to look when its "done". this is kinky straight hair flat ironed with sedu at 370.

The SS sheds for about 2 weeks and then it stops (i dont seal my wefts). No tangling with this hair at all, and no crawling.

One thing i did notice was INTENSE scalp itch with this hair. I did an install on my friend with the same hair and she noticed it too. I mean it can drive you crazy, the chemical they use to process this hair must cause it.

At first, I was a fan of this hair, but not so much anymore.

Last edited:
@cinnespice and @05girl

I don't like too much curl, The attached pic is how i like my hair to look when its "done". this is kinky straight hair flat ironed with sedu at 370.

The SS sheds for about 2 weeks and then it stops (i dont seal my wefts). No tangling with this hair at all, and no crawling.

One thing i did notice was INTENSE scalp itch with this hair. I did an install on my friend with the same hair and she noticed it too. I mean it can drive you crazy, the chemical they use to process this hair must cause it.

At first, I was a fan of this hair, but not so much anymore.
beana Thanks for the info and the pictures. I liked the hair a lot so I ordered some this morning #2 ks 12 inches. I think i might seal it and I usually wash the hair before i install it.

You can't go wrong with virgin indian hair because the texture is so close to straightened AA relaxed hair.

I would stay away from the wavy stuff unless you're going to be keeping your hair curled or twisted out a lot. Otherwise, it will be a pain straightening that stuff out all the time.

it depends on the head of hair. I keep hearing this but there are a LOT of people that just shouldn't do virgin because the blending looks ick.

If it is virgin hair it shouldn't be processed or colored so are you going to dye it yourself? You look like a 2 to me.

I find that they relaxed straight texture curls easily with flexirods, rollers, or steam curls. I had KS once and I would curl with a curling iron then lightly mist with holding spray and pincurl before I had to go and that kept them in much longer.

Here is a pic of my KS flatironed and curled
1299391775-picsay.jpg

KS flatironed Straight.

1302494732-picsay.jpg

Last edited:
Roux, what kind of hair do you think will blend best? Yaki/Relaxed look? Kinky Straight?

if you're relaxed and wear your hair sleek then Light Yaki or Yaki. If you are relaxed and wear your hair airdried most of the time or natural and blow out your hair then Kinky Straight. KS looks really good when flatironed like the deliciousness above.

I can't wait for winter to get here so I can get a KS wig.

The SS RR is the hair I was looking at purchasing. It blends well even though I want no hair left out. It's a must I refuse to have to keep blending my hair.

Sent from my DROID2 using DROID2

You look to be at least a 2. 1B would be too dark. I'm wearing malaysian virgin hair from my stylist. It blends flawlessly when straightened. But when it's air dried, you see a texture difference - but it doesn't look bad.

But, it's hard to answer your question without seeing pics of the samples up against your hair. So with that being said, I vote Malaysian. After trying other types, this is what I love the best.

ETA: It's not a bad idea to take the samples to your stylist and have a consultation. My stylist showed me different samples and the pros and cons of them according to my active lifestyle. So that's why I chose something I can wear straight and airdried. I wanted versatility and low maintenance hair.

Straightened
photo-vi.jpg

Air dried with serum (my leave out had been curled.)
photo2-vi.jpg

Last edited:
OMG.. Your Cheeziness and ms.blue, what pretty pictures!!
Ok so now I am considering Malaysian, or a light yaki. I had given up on KS when I heard about the poof factor -- and honestly I have not seen a ton of KS with a sleek straight look. But ms.blue may be changing my mind!

I think you should go with the relaxed texture based on the styles you are trying to achieve with the layers. Also if you want to do twist outs then dont get heavy layers because its hard to get the twist to stay in when setting. I think your color looks like a #2. If you go with virgin hair you will have to put high heat to your to blend more often especially if you wet it then you can see the texture difference. I stopped wearing virgin hair a long time ago for the reason mentioned unless I have on a headband.

I think you should go with the relaxed texture based on the styles you are trying to achieve with the layers. Also if you want to do twist outs then dont get heavy layers because its hard to get the twist to stay in when setting. I think your color looks like a #2. If you go with virgin hair you will have to put high heat to your to blend more often especially if you wet it then you can see the texture difference. I stopped wearing virgin hair a long time ago for the reason mentioned unless I have on a headband.

Thanks for your thoughts!

05girl, the specs are
Malaysian KS
4oz of 18"
4oz of 20"
5x5 silk closure 16"

I prefer malaysian over indian b/c doesn't tangle as much as indian. Also when curled w/ high heat, the curls stay like for ever or when flatironed, it stays straight until the hair is washed.

05girl, the specs are
Malaysian KS
4oz of 18"
4oz of 20"
5x5 silk closure 16"

I prefer malaysian over indian b/c doesn't tangle as much as indian. Also when curled w/ high heat, the curls stay like for ever or when flatironed, it stays straight until the hair is washed.
Did you get from a private/asian vendor?

Back