Wearing your hair out-how to avoid splits???

kristina

Just curious, to the ladies who always wear their hair out/down, how do you avoid split ends???? I'm thinking more of women in straight styles (pressed or relaxed) because I've noticed some splits from wearing my maxiglided hair out everyday this week. And I've been putting oils on the ends regularly.

kristina said:
Just curious, to the ladies who always wear their hair out/down, how do you avoid split ends???? I'm thinking more of women in straight styles (pressed or relaxed) because I've noticed some splits from wearing my maxiglided hair out everyday this week. And I've been putting oils on the ends regularly.
kinda hard to do when wearing down b/c it brushes against your clothing all day....ponytail?? I don't add moisture to hair after flatironing until I'm thru wearing it down...:spank: ...it weighs my hair down.....but I really don't notice a difference in more or less splits when wearing down:ohwell:

I seemed to have splits only when I used to use heat. I don't associate splits with wearing my hair out.

kristina said:

I never wear protective style unless I'm in braids. I only wear rollerset wraps. I wrap my hair at night and comb it out during the day. I never brush my hair. I only use wide-toothed combs. I almost never use direct heat and I get trims every four months. My ends stay cool.

I wear my hair down everyday and I've never seen a split hair on my head. I made deep conditoning my best friend since I started to relax my hair. And I trim often. I really don't add products to my hair between washes so I guess regular deep conditioning does the trick for me.

Maybe you could coat your hair with a daily condtioner and wear a top with a material that won't snag the hair. hth

Thanks for the responses ladies. Hmmm, I guess I'm doing something wrong here. It think I'm not being really careful- I wear a back pack and I think my hair is snagging on my clothes/scarf. Anyone with a press/flat iron out w/o splits?

Dee- I would but conditioner but that would mess up flat iron.

And I don't have this when I wear my hair natural but then again my hair doesn't hang as low when I wear it natural.

I put a tiny bit of oil on the ends. Wanakee Constant Care for ends is good. I also put my hair up when I'm at home and I sleep with it in a braid with the tail tucked under.

kristina said:
Thanks for the responses ladies. Hmmm, I guess I'm doing something wrong here. It think I'm not being really careful- I wear a back pack and I think my hair is snagging on my clothes/scarf. Anyone with a press/flat iron out w/o splits?

Dee- I would but conditioner but that would mess up flat iron.

And I don't have this when I wear my hair natural but then again my hair doesn't hang as low when I wear it natural.
Yes..I flat iron religiously....like I said...I really don't notice any more splits when I wear it down (about 85% f the time)...just make sure you condition often...

I find that hot castor oil treatments to the ends (so far) are the only ones that work for me. I haven't found another oil that works as well to prevent split ends.

The key for me is deep conditioning weekly and sealing the ends after shampooing.

I deep condition at least once a week, and I make sure I drown my ends in conditioner before putting on a plastic cap. This has eliminated my breakage/split end problem for the last 3-4 inches of hair (which is where I had the most trouble).

Also, I've found that apply a tiny bit of leave-in condish followed by a small dollop of oil & serum mixed seals my ends very well. Not only does this keep frizz away, but it also keeps my ends from splitting. I like to use Redken's Moist Ends from their Clear Moisture line or Schwarzkopf's Bonacure Repair or Giovanni Direct as the leave-in for the ends. I like NTM Healing Shine Serum or Giovanni's Shine of the Times as the serum, and I like coconut oil or jojoba oil since they're light.

HTH

{DI}

nurseN98 said:
I find that hot castor oil treatments to the ends (so far) are the only ones that work for me. I haven't found another oil that works as well to prevent split ends.

Hmm, maybe I'll try castor oil myself.

I was natural for 26 years and got split ends no matter what. I went with no heat for about a year and still got them along with knots in single strands of hair (the end of one strand ties itself in a knot. weird.) Texturized I still battle with them, knots and all.

Deep conditioning is my best friend!
I wear my hair down most of the time and it usually has to look "done" because of my job (we're talking flat ironing, carusoing, lots of combing, the works!) :eek:

I put moisturizer and avacado oil on my ends after shampooing.

I also began doing a method of sealing the ends with heat, found it on the crown and glory website...you use your favorite conditioner, tin foil and heat to seal the ends...it makes them so soft with no frizz at all, it's fantastic, and works for me...I haven't had a split end since I started doing it 6 months ago.
HTH!

This advice is from a thin hair lady hair length about bra strap. But I will stay the lenght I am 2-3 inches above bra strap. I just like it that way.

Regular washes, and a good condition and deep conditon ORS once or twice a month. I use Cantu Break free on my ends and al little on the rest. For combing, I use Goody Ouchless brush, not tangle and breaks.

Hey divine, do you do this daily?

Thanks
Divine Inspiration said:
The key for me is deep conditioning weekly and sealing the ends after shampooing.

I deep condition at least once a week, and I make sure I drown my ends in conditioner before putting on a plastic cap. This has eliminated my breakage/split end problem for the last 3-4 inches of hair (which is where I had the most trouble).

Also, I've found that apply a tiny bit of leave-in condish followed by a small dollop of oil & serum mixed seals my ends very well. Not only does this keep frizz away, but it also keeps my ends from splitting. I like to use Redken's Moist Ends from their Clear Moisture line or Schwarzkopf's Bonacure Repair or Giovanni Direct as the leave-in for the ends. I like NTM Healing Shine Serum or Giovanni's Shine of the Times as the serum, and I like coconut oil or jojoba oil since they're light.

HTH

{DI}

maryj1584 said:
Hey divine, do you do this daily?

Thanks

Hi MaryJ :wave:

No, I do the sealing process after I poo or CO wash. Once I seal them up, there really isn't a need to put anything else on them during the week unless I'm trying to achieve a specific style/look.

When I spray my moisture mix each night, I also spritz the ends, but I don't do the entire sealing process b/c it just hasn't been necessary, and I don't want to create unnecessary buildup since I prefer to clarify just once a month.

Make sense? Hope so.:D

{DI}

caligirl said:
I put a tiny bit of oil on the ends. Wanakee Constant Care for ends is good. I also put my hair up when I'm at home and I sleep with it in a braid with the tail tucked under.

I too use Wanakee Constant Care for Ends and although I've used other oils on my ends, I keep falling back on this product. According to the directions it says:
"When used daily, it effectively retards ends from splitting, while adding a healthy shine..."

Isis said:
I too use Wanakee Constant Care for Ends and although I've used other oils on my ends, I keep falling back on this product. According to the directions it says:
"When used daily, it effectively retards ends from splitting, while adding a healthy shine..."

Where can I get this stuff???

Thanks for all the advice ladies. At least I'll know what to go next time. I guess my solution is to kick up the deep conditioning prior to flat ironing and to seal the ends with some oil prior to the flat ironing.

Does anyone know the ingredients of constant care??? I ask because I'm cheap and I just had an oil buying bonanza and bought vitamin e, jojoba, coconut and castor oils.

Khalilah said:
Hmm, maybe I'll try castor oil myself.

I was natural for 26 years and got split ends no matter what. I went with no heat for about a year and still got them along with knots in single strands of hair (the end of one strand ties itself in a knot. weird.) Texturized I still battle with them, knots and all.
I've just discovered (like a week ago) that using a paddle brush helps a lot with reducing knots. So far that and the castor oils have my ends in much better condition.

BTW Khalilah, nice hair :)

Back