Wearing a sew-in weave to transition?

Do u think a sew-in weave is a good option for helping in the transitioning process?

• Yes! Low manipulation, the hair protected, and you're less likely to reach 4 the creamy crack again.

Votes: 35 47.3%
  • NO! A sew-in weave will destroy your hair! It will cause tension to your hair. Don't do it!

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • It depends on how long you have your sew-in weave, and how well you take care of it.

Votes: 33 44.6%
  • Why transition at all?? Go for the gusto! Cut your relaxed hair off and go get that TWA girl!

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crystalicequeen123

Hello ladies! :wave:

I am currently transitioning, and I'm trying to have a "game-plan" for the rest of this year since I intend to try to transition for a year (or...at least 9 months). That's my goal.

So far I've just been washing and CO-washing my hair once a week, and pulling it into a bun. My twistouts don't look too good anymore. :( My hair looks FRIZZY, and I'm so ready to be done with this thinner, shedding, relaxed hair!! :wallbash:

I have quite a few *special* events that I'm going to this year, so I don't want to look a hot mess lol. So, I've been thinking about having my cousin cornrow my hair with added hair, and also later on down the line maybe getting a sew-in weave towards the end of this year.

What do you ladies think? Do you think the sew-in weave would be TOO much stress on my hair? Do you recommend a sew-in weave as a way to transition and have less manipulation on the strands while keeping it protected?

Or....should I just stick it out the whole year until Feb. 2011 with doing twist-outs, braid-outs, and buns? :confused:

Ediese transitioned with sew-ins. Check out her threads and fotki, she has posted a lot of information about transitioning in sew-ins.:yep:

I'm going into a sew-in next month. I think sew-in weaves are a great, protective way of transitioning. I *may* decide to transition this way as well.......:sekret:

I am currently in a sew-in and love the fact that I can't play in my hair. I use a bottle with an applicator to get in between tracks to condition my scalp and cornrows. My hair is growing faster than it ever has since I've been wearing a sew-in. I've also noticed that when I take down my installs, I have less shedding since I started taking garlic pills daily.

They are great for transitioning - just came out of one. Just be sure your hair is not braided too tight, and keep hair underneath moisturized.

Yes I love transitioning with sew ins. I've been in a sew in pretty much this whole year with a week or 2 break in between. I'm 10 months post right now plan on doing a long term transition. Since my hair's braided and protected it helps me to resist the urge to BC. I've gotten great retention with sew ins and will continue to use this and crochets as my main protective styles. Just be sure to take care of your hair underneath and you'll be good to go.

Ediese transitioned with sew-ins. Check out her threads and fotki, she has posted a lot of information about transitioning in sew-ins.:yep:

Thanks so much! I've been checking out her threads and fotkis, and you're right. Her hair is absolutely GORGEOUS!! :yep:

I'm going into a sew-in next month. I think sew-in weaves are a great, protective way of transitioning. I *may* decide to transition this way as well.......:sekret:

Do it! Do it! Do it!! :clap: Everyone that I have talked to so far has not regretted going natural. :yep:

Thanks for the advice ladies! I guess I'm just a little scared because my hair is fine (especially at the edges) and also due to what happened during my last sew-in weave disaster. :perplexed The weave itself wasn't too bad and I made sure to keep it moisturized, washed and conditioned well. Even though it was semi-tight, the main problem came when the stylist took the weave down. She didn't even UNbraid my hair from the cornrows after removing the weave hair! SHe just yanked and pulled a rat tooth comb through my braids in order to loose them and take them out! OOO....I was SOOO livid!! :mad: :wallbash: Now that I think about it, she probably did that on purpose! Because my hair was LONG and relatively thick before I had the weave put in. But after she took the weave out, it was so thin, fine, and soooo fragile. :nono:

I wore sew-ins to transition. I love wearing them because my hair is in a protective style.

The dilemma with sew-ins is that some people will braid your hair too tight and sew the string to tight. That's when you have too much tension and it starts to break your hair. I do my own sew-ins and I have never had a problem with broken hair because I am careful not to cause any tension on my hair.

If you decide to do sew-ins just make sure the person who installs it isn't known for doing super-tight sew-ins.

Yes do it.. Its a great way to protect your hair whilst transitioning.. But make sure it's not cornrowed too tightly as the ladies above said.

Im also considering doing this to take me into my one year transition anniversary.

I transitioned my daughter with sew ins until she begged me to cut off those raggedy, relaxed ends...Her hair is thick and healthy!

ETA- Have not read the other responses, but Ediese has a weave 101 thread that is EXTREMELY helpful....

Last edited:
Transitioning w/ weaves are great if the hair underneath the weave is being taken care of. If the natural hair is kept dirty or dry or both and it's left on for too long then the outcome will defeat the purpose.

I transitioned with a weave (still rocking weaves-lol).

In January 09 I was touching BSL (pic in avi still have relaxer on ends). However, I was tired of dealing w/the demarcation line so I BC'd in early 2009 and now my hair is BSL a year later (pic in siggy).

I personally thinky you can really grow your hair out w/a weave w/out damage if you take care of it. I make sure to moisturize, moisturize every 2-3 days (and sometimes daily, depending on the product I'm using). I just DC yesterday with Aubrey Organics WC for 40 mins. I try to cowash every 1-2 weeks and DC every 2-3 (I admit I do get lazy).

My advice is to baby your hair underneath and do not get LAZY with the moisturizing and conditioning.

I wore a weave the first 3 or 4 months of my transition, so I say go for it. My issue was the takedown as well -- I also have very fine hair and my cousin raked through it with the smallest comb she had, and I went from SL to EL/NL in a matter of an hour or two. Maybe take it out yourself this time (or go to someone else to help remove it)!

My only advice is if you have not been natural as an adult, take some time later in your transition to learn what your chemical-free new growth likes/dislikes so you have a game plan once you are completely natural. I spent the last two months of my transition heat-free and became addicted to cowashing, twistouts, and other things that are now staples in my regimen.

I intend to transition this way. I had a sew-in from last October and took it out. I wear a sew-in from Fall to Spring and wear my real hair out in the summertime.

When I saw how much growth I was able to get from the sew-in and ultimately retain, I figured I would give transitioning a try.

Here's a pic of my sew-in and my growth:

sewin.jpg

hair.jpg

i'm on my second install during my transition. started in january. i try to cowash at least once a week, but it ends up being two or more, because i like to make sure my hair gets watered. i also try to oil my scalp once a week.

My hair was weaved up for my entire transition. I didn't suffer any damage or hair loss. I made sure to wash and deep condition every 1-2 weeks. I also took a 2 week break between installs. I would recommend it based on my experience.

I used several sew-ins during my transitions. And even though I eventually got sick of them (I got the $13.99 packs that shed CONSTANTLY :lachen:), they proved to be a very good protective style.

Check the siggy and my profile pictures. I was able to retain every inch I got wearing sew ins.

Invest in good hair that will last you. Find an excellent stylist that doesn't braid too tightly. You can wash 1x weekly and moisturize your hair underneath and you're good to go.

For sure, i'm transitioning and I just took down a weave I had installed for 4 weeks. It wasn't too tight and I left my edges out. I washed & conditioned every 10 days and moisturised every 2 days. My hair is fine, just the normal shedding. I'm transitioning with braids,weaves and half wigs for 12 months in total (I'm 4 months post).

I'll chime in.

At first, I wore weaves out of convenience as it is condusive to my lifestyle. I would usually keep them in for 3-4 months, oiling my scalp, spraying my braids with a moisturizer, etc. I've found that when I leave my hair alone, especially now, it just grows and grows.

Then, as time went on and I would remove them, I noticed my hair was growing like weeds. After every install, I treat my hair with an Aphogee hard core protein treatment, followed by Humecto by Avalon Moisturizing conditioner.

However, there is a trick that I've learned. First, you must make sure you comb all of your hair out to avoid tangling. DO NOT wash your hair after taking down an install without thoroughly detangling your hair. I would braid my hair and wash that way. I know it sounds crazy, but the longer your hair, the better it is to wash this way. Even when I apply the Aphogee to my hair, my hair is braided. And since it's long, I just dip my braids in the protein to make sure every strand is covered. I do this for every install since the instructions recommend using every 6 to 8 weeks.

Going Natural - I've never even entertained the thought of going natural, but since I've been wearing my installs for two years now, I'm so in love with my natural hair. I didn't mean to go natural, it just happened. No relaxer or chemicals and it's beautiful, thick and healthy. No breakage anywhere. I don't have any pics...I'll see if I can get one of the kids to take a pic the next time I remove my install. I just got it re-installed on June 12, so probably around October.

So, to answer your question, installs are EXCELLENT to grow out your hair while growing out your own hair. The only thing is, I would invest in some good hair so that you can continue to use it rather than going out every three months purchasing new hair. It's a good investment, as I use www.extensions-plus.com, zig-zag curly. Low maintenance and it doesn't tangle. To me, this is the best hair, as I've tried several out there on the market.

I take hair vitamins religiously. I don't believe in a lot of products, because I don't have the time, but this works for me. A small amount of my edges are out, and they are healthy, no breakage. I spray my edges in the morning and before I go to bed. I use the Taaliah Wajid or the Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 moisturizer. I've mixed them together, and so far, so good. When I deep condition my edges, I use mega tek and leave it in over night, rinse out the following morning followed by the Humecto. Works for me all the time.

As for hair oil, for some reason, my hair loves WGO (Wild Growth Oil). I use it because it has the spout which is easy to get through to my hair, and it makes my hair grow...unbelievable. I use it 3-4 times a week, probably a little more since I sweat in my hair due to cardio and lifting weights.

So to sum things up, here is what I use while I have my install:

WGO - hair oil
Hawaiian Silky 14in1 and Taaliah Wajid Moisturizer (mixed to spray on braids)
Hair Vitamins - Folicure.

Hope I didn't bore the reader, but this is what I do.

I do this and my hair grows FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I keep it in for 3 months, and wash once a week to make sure my hair under is okay. It is the best thing to happen to my hair to make it grow super fast. After like 6 months my hair is around 3 inches longer and that is with a trim. It is fuller and thicker and amazing!

Back