Water-based daily moisturizers...

CarLiTa

Can anyone recommend some?

I've used Motions Oil Moisturizer for a few years now, but the last bottle I got really did not agree with my hair.
Since joining the board, I've heard the terrible things about mineral oil but never bothered to look at the ingredients for this product, because I liked it anyway.
Well, apparently, if you let the bottle sit for a while, the oil comes up, and it CLEARLY does not look like any natural oil.
I finally looked at the ingredient list and mineral oil is the SECOND ingredient in there....
So, I'm dropping that.

Can anyone recommend any water-based moisturizers please?
thank you:)

Last edited:
The 3 ones in my rotation are the SunSilk Hydra TLC, Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk touch Leave in and Silken Child's Slick Thinking. The Silken Child is a bit heavy but the others I love.

CarLiTa said:

I've used Motions Oil Moisturizer for a few years now, but the last bottle I got really did not agree with my hair.
Since joining the board, I've heard the terrible things about mineral oil but never bothered to look at the ingredients for this product, because I liked it anyway.
Well, apparently, if you let the bottle sit for a while, the oil comes up, and it CLEARLY does not look like any natural oil.
I finally looked at the ingredient list and mineral oil is the SECOND ingredient in there....
So, I'm dropping that.

Can anyone recommend any oil-based moisturizers please?

I'm confused. In the title of the thread you have "water-based daily moisturizers...." but in the last part of your post you ask about oil-based moisturizers?

Are you looking for both?

I would like to know of some good water-based moisturizers.:D

Eiano said:
The 3 ones in my rotation are the SunSilk Hydra TLC, Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk touch Leave in and Silken Child's Slick Thinking. The Silken Child is a bit heavy but the others I love.

Oooh, I love Sunsilk. it's da bomb.:lol:

chica_canella said:
I'm confused. In the title of the thread you have "water-based daily moisturizers...." but in the last part of your post you ask about oil-based moisturizers?

I think she's saying her hair doesn't like water-based ones and wants to try good oil-based ones.

My vote is for Aveda Universal Styling Creme

sareca said:
I think she's saying her hair doesn't like water-based ones and wants to try good oil-based ones.

Oh, ok. thanks but do you know any good baggying mixtures or products?:)

CarLiTa said:

So, I'm dropping that.

Can anyone recommend any oil-based moisturizers please?

hey carlita, thankyou for the fotki comments xx

honestly chick, mineral oil isnt that bad

just dont have it on your scalp.

for the moment, i suggest keracare oil moisturizer, your hair is a similar texture to mine, so i think it would fit.

remember

spritz water on your hair before you apply anything

you may even find u love motions when you spray water first and then add the lotion.

try it

you wont be dissapointed

and seal with an oil

any oil will do...

coconut oil or almond oil is best

sareca said:

:grin: I agree!

Candy_C said:
remember

spritz water on your hair before you apply anything

you may even find u love motions when you spray water first and then add the lotion.

try it

you wont be dissapointed

and seal with an oil

any oil will do...

coconut oil or almond oil is best

So, wait . . . we should spritz our hair with water, apply a water-based moisturizer, and then seal with an oil-based moisturizer? (Just want to make sure I'm getting this right!)

Glib Gurl said:
So, wait . . . we should spritz our hair with water, apply a water-based moisturizer, and then seal with an oil-based moisturizer? (Just want to make sure I'm getting this right!)

lol

sorry

water

oil moisturizer (or water based, it really doesnt matter...but water and then OIL moist is best)

and then pure oil

as in pure 100% oil no other ingredients.

Glib Gurl said:

Candy_C will respond on how she does it, but I also find that applying moisturizer on my wet hair is great. I cannot do it everytime I moisturize because I wear my hair down and straightened all the time, but on wash days, applying a moisturizer as a leave in and sealing with a serum before I airdry and flatiron really helps me maintain moisture for days. If I do apply moisturizer it is only a little. I don't seal with oil, though. I don't really like oil on my hair, but I know many ladies that do this, as well.

Candy_C said:
lol

and then pure oil

as in pure 100% oil no other ingredients.

So what kind of pure oil do you use? Are we talking Wesson from the cooking aisle? :lol: I use "olive oil" from CVS . . . not quite as pure as, say, the stuff from the grocery store, but close . . . .

HoneyDew said:
you know what's funny. if memory serves it's got water listed as the first ingredient, but if you add water to it it's obviously not water-based.
verwirte_015.gif

Glib Gurl said:
So what kind of pure oil do you use? Are we talking Wesson from the cooking aisle? :lol: I use "olive oil" from CVS . . . not quite as pure as, say, the stuff from the grocery store, but close . . . .

this may or may not work for you hun

i'm an airdryer

and wear my hair in airdried styles...

i dont ever comb either lol

aslong as its called pure oil you should be fine. hair isnt really that picky about types of oil of a particular nature

extra virgin , virgin or pure work the same to me on my hair.

chica_canella said:

oops thanks for pointing that out. I meant WATER

oops ok

I guess what I meant is something other than Motions, b/c i'm really not liking it anymore. Even the smell gets to me.. for some reason it smells a little differently than the previous bottles that i used to purchase.

Thank you for all your wonderful suggestions:)

I will definitely get some oil by the end of the week.

I may try the Sunsilk, since it's on the cheap side, lol.

but i also wanted to know if there were any "natural" creme moisturizers out there. I don't know any.

good water based moisturizers...
ors olive oil jar or bottle (i prefer the jar)
carrot oil
ntm triple moisture leave-in cream
elasta mango butter
cantu has a couple of water based moisturizers
i just bought BB growth lotion but haven't tried it yet
basicly a moisturizer that has water as its first ingredient
I don't think water is the first ingredient in motions
and i was hooked on it for years before i joined. Good you dropped it, and please never pick it again. Cause in the end it will only do you more harm than good.

Garnier Fructis Smoothing Milk

Sunsilk (any of them)

NTM Leave In

Lacio-Lacio (gotta have the Mink oil in it)

AKA-Tude said:
Garnier Fructis Smoothing Milk

Sunsilk (any of them)

NTM Leave In

Lacio-Lacio (gotta have the Mink oil in it)

Oh, wow. your hair looks fab and it is def growing.:D

so lacio-lacacio can be used as a moisturizer also?

Candy_C said:
this may or may not work for you hun

i'm an airdryer

and wear my hair in airdried styles...

i dont ever comb either lol

aslong as its called pure oil you should be fine. hair isnt really that picky about types of oil of a particular nature

extra virgin , virgin or pure work the same to me on my hair.

Are you still using all keracare or do you use Teo in the mix too?

Eiano said:
I've never thought of trying SunSilk. I checked out the ingredients on walgreens.com and it sounds pretty good. I just went to gethairapy.com and ordered free samples.

its filled with mineral oil and cones and probably parabens...basically all the stuff LHCF tells you to stay away from, but I swear by Mizani H20 Nightime Treatment.

and I will continue to name drop this stuff on the forums until my fingers cramp up, but PM The Conditioner Leave In is NIIIIIIIIICE :D

Yes The Conditioner by Paul Mitchell is awesome!

whitneysimone said:
its filled with mineral oil and cones and probably parabens...basically all the stuff LHCF tells you to stay away from, but I swear by Mizani H20 Nightime Treatment.

and I will continue to name drop this stuff on the forums until my fingers cramp up, but PM The Conditioner Leave In is NIIIIIIIIICE :D

My faves:
Africa's Best Liquid Mayo leave-in
Africa's Best Extra Virgin Olive oil lotion
BB Oil Moisturizer

All of these are water based and also contain oils, so you get the best of both worlds.

If the cost is not too much of a factor, I highly recommend Phyto 7 or Phyto 9 leave in - these are fabulous moisturizers. At Polly and Company, the large size is a very good deal.

Back