Washing Your hair with braids.

Oh so you can reuse hair that you've used once for braiding?

Nonie why are you always covering up your pretty face?

the braids that Nonie has in her first post, the ones that are wavy-looking at the end. if you are gonna do just regular straight-to-the-end box braids, then kanekalon is good.

Thanks I should have all the info I need by the time I'm ready to braid.

I'm so sorry, I know I sound dumb but what's wet and wavy?

Wet N Wavy is a type of human hair that gets wavy when wet so that if you wanted to change from a straight style you can wet them and they get wavy. It's similar to what HisandHer.com call Water Wave. But for 4B hair, the waves only seem to form on the ends beyond the braided part that contains my hair. The braids I have now are Water Wave and as you saw in the first pic I posted, the ends beyond my hair got wavy after I washed.

The hair below is Wet N Wavy just freshly installed.
BraidsApril2007-vi.jpg

The hair looks wavy in the pack but only the ends that were not braided showed a bit of a wave. And in the images I showed where I redid a braid after washing, you can see that after I washed my hair the entire length that didn't contain my hair got wavy even though it was braided--but not as much as the ends that were not braided.

Although this link is of another type of hair, it gives you and idea of howt wet n wavy is supposed to behave: http://www.hisandher.com/hair_exten...european_wave/main_001/sub_006/3/details.html

Yea, I don't need all that. I want it braided all the way to the tip.

Like this

African_American_long_braid_hair.jpg
That's kanekalon! (Yes, it's synthetic.) It's like $2 a pack...I love it. Two packs and I am good to go. I generally don't mind having to throw it away since it is so cheap, but Nonie I see your point.

Yea, I don't need all that. I want it braided all the way to the tip.

Like this

African_American_long_braid_hair.jpg

One thing that is great about synthetic hair is it holds very well. Human hair unravels easily and until it is broken in, it won't stay braided at the ends the first few months of wearing it. Also synthetic hair can look relatively neater than human after several washes. That photo is a very good representative of how neat the braids are.

I am also partial to human hair because I can wear that style you want too if I wrap it when damp and let it dry that way. :p Straight braids no wave.

When I have braids, I wash/cowash a couple times per week.
I don't do any special coverings while washing, I just go at it.
They wind up fuzzy faster, but I don't care. I can't go to long without washing my hair, braids or not.

The reason I love Braids is because I can wash n' go... I love love that.....

I usually wore Nonie's H&H hair - back in the day - till my hair got too long....

:rolleyes:

I am on the hunt for LOOOOONG human hair. 30 inches.
I will be broke.
=(

The reason I love Braids is because I can wash n' go... I love love that.....

I usually wore Nonie's H&H hair - back in the day - till my hair got too long....

:rolleyes:

I am on the hunt for LOOOOONG human hair. 30 inches.
I will be broke.
=(

Yea, I need longer hair to, didn't think of that. I had to go measure my hair to see if 24" would be ok.

One thing I've found that helps keep braids neat after washing is to wear one of those mesh caps that are specifically made for washing braided styles. You could also use a stocking cap. When I use one of these caps, my braids look beautiful--they sometimes look even better after the shampoo than they did before. (I'm a 4b natural, so fuzzies are a problem for me).

I wash my braids weekly, using the exact same method Nonie described. I usually alternate weeks between co-washing and shampooing. Sometimes, when I don't have time for a full shampoo/condition, I just swipe my scalp with cotton pads soaked in witch hazel, and follow up with a good leave-in conditioner and moisturizer. This takes as long as shampooing, but it's easier, since I don't have to get in the shower.

I only braid with human hair, because it's lightweight, so there's less chance of the extension pulling out my hair. I always use Hollywood brand Italian French Deep Wave in mixed colors. This is very good quality bss hair, but it only lasts for one set of braids...you can't really re-use it. That's okay for me, because I wear the braids long even though my hair is only SL, so I cut off the ends when I'm ready to take them down. Maybe one day I will invest in some Extensions Plus or His & Her hair, but for now, I'm sticking with my Hollywood because it's so beautiful.

For the person who wanted a "how-to" manual for braids, go to the braid extensions page of the Crown & Glory site: http://www.growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html

Human hair costs alot huh?:perplexed Guess I'll be getting the fake stuff.
The hair I buy isn't too expensive (about $75 a pack). But I just found it online for $29.99.

There's also a great synthetic brand called Outre Batik that looks and feels like human hair. It's only $10 a pack.

The hair I buy isn't too expensive (about $75 a pack). But I just found it online for $29.99.

There's also a great synthetic brand called Outre Batik that looks and feels like human hair. It's only $10 a pack.

How many packs would one normally need? Also where are you ordering from?

Mstar, how long do you get for $75?

Dlewis, I have always ordered/bought 2 packs regardless of brand and I always have some left over. The hair I used for my braids was weave hair (vendor error) which was less than I'm used to when I order the same brand for braiding, yet I still had a little left over.

How many packs would one normally need? Also where are you ordering from?

You need two packs of human hair, and if your braider is good, you should have enough left over for your touch-up. With synthetic, you usually need four packs.

The hair that I buy is available at most bss, and online at places like GMBS and Beautyink, but this time I bought it on Amazon. They only have the weave hair on sale (the bulk hair is still $75), so I'm just going to cut the wefts off. It's the exact same style and length as my usual bulk hair.

ETA: Nonie, I use 18 inch hair. You know I was happy to pay $29.99 instead of $75!

I wash my braids once a week with heavily diluted shampoo, concentrating on my scalp. I don't condition, but just use braid spray (which is usually tweaked with glycerine or honey moisturiser) and a bit of serum or oil on the length of the braid. This has worked well for me, and my braids never smell.

You need two packs of human hair, and if your braider is good, you should have enough left over for your touch-up. With synthetic, you usually need four packs.

The hair that I buy is available at most bss, and online at places like GMBS and Beautyink, but this time I bought it on Amazon. They only have the weave hair on sale (the bulk hair is still $75), so I'm just going to cut the wefts off. It's the exact same style and length as my usual bulk hair.

ETA: Nonie, I use 18 inch hair. You know I was happy to pay $29.99 instead of $75!

I hear you on the bold. Do you get the same amount of hair on wefts as you get when you buy the bulk? In other words, didn't you get the same quantity for that much less, or was it slightly less. I found the weaving hair was so much less than the braiding hair.

Either way, you can't beat that steal!

I hear you on the bold. Do you get the same amount of hair on wefts as you get when you buy the bulk? In other words, didn't you get the same quantity for that much less, or was it slightly less. I found the weaving hair was so much less than the braiding hair.

Either way, you can't beat that steal!
Shoot, I hope not! You know, I haven't used it yet...but looking at it in the pack, it appears to be the same amount of hair. I guess I won't really know until I get it on my head.

Just to be on the safe side, I bought a pack of the $10 Outre Batik deep wave hair, too. It is the exact same texture as the Hollywood hair, so I can use it to stretch my installation if need be. (A lady on BHM showed me photos of her Batik deep wave braids from last summer, and they were bangin'! She said the hair lasted for over two months, and looked beautiful the entire time).

Off topic, but I figured I'd throw it out there--does anyone know an experienced braider in Los Angeles? My usual lady is getting on my nerves.

Shoot, I hope not! You know, I haven't used it yet...but looking at it in the pack, it appears to be the same amount of hair. I guess I won't really know until I get it on my head.

Just to be on the safe side, I bought a pack of the $10 Outre Batik deep wave hair, too. It is the exact same texture as the Hollywood hair, so I can use it to stretch my installation if need be. (A lady on BHM showed me photos of her Batik deep wave braids from last summer, and they were bangin'! She said the hair lasted for over two months, and looked beautiful the entire time).

Off topic, but I figured I'd throw it out there--does anyone know an experienced braider in Los Angeles? My usual lady is getting on my nerves.

Have you thought about doing them yourself? I'm doing mine, I can't trust people in my head.

Then you probably got the same amount as the bulk in that brand. I knew I had less hair than usual the minute I laid eyes on the pack of hair. It was like it was half the amount I am used to and my first sentiments were, "Gee, is the economy so bad that they're skimping on hair too?" Then I realized it was the wrong hair and figured that must be why.

Have you thought about doing them yourself? I'm doing mine, I can't trust people in my head.
Girl, I would love to...but I'm a complete failure at styling my own hair. I just now learned how to replace single braids that fall out, but I can only do it if it's right at the front hairline--I wouldn't even attempt it in the back of my head! :lachen:

For those who use a ACV rinse...Is this good for dry hair?

My dd is transitioning with braids..I plan to follow the crown and glory method, but I dont recall the ACV rinse being mentioned....

I will have to beat my dd down to wash her hair more than once a week but I really want to see some good growth with these braids!:deadhorse:

For those who use a ACV rinse...Is this good for dry hair?

My dd is transitioning with braids..I plan to follow the crown and glory method, but I dont recall the ACV rinse being mentioned....

I will have to beat my dd down to wash her hair more than once a week but I really want to see some good growth with these braids!:deadhorse:
I'm not sure what you mean by the bold. I do a rinse with ACV solution at the end of my wash, so my hair is wet when I do it, and I used to have a spritz made with ACV as one of the ingredients that I'd spray on my dry hair but I just couldn't keep up with all that spritzing. So when you say dry hair, do you mean as in not wet or as in hair that tends to be dry like 4B hair?

ACV closes the hair cuticles and brings the hair to an acidic pH which is what healthy hair's pH is. Closing cuticles makes tangles lest likely to happen and makes hair reflect light better, ie shine. So ACV is a good thing. Not sure any of this answered your question. If not, clarify what it is you want to know and hopefully someone will answer.

Back