Washing Your hair with braids.

keepithealthy

Hello all,
I am 12 weeks post relaxer and I have medium sized box braids. I am just wondering how/if I should wash my hair?

I only wash my braids about once a month because if you wash them too much they can get a mildewy smell which is quite unpleasant. To avoid that, make sure you dry them quickly (via blow dryer or sit in front of a fan). If you work out and need to wash more often, just concentrate on the scalp which is the only part that collects a significant amount of dirt. Pour a little bit of shampoo in a spray bottle and dilute heavily with water. GENTLY rub your scalp and rinse. Don't worry about the rest of the braid. Also there are some no wash shampoos out there for braids. I know that Organic Root Stimulator is about to put one out on the market soon.

One more thing. Be sure not to keep the braids in for too long. If you want to keep them in for longer than 2 months then be sure to get the front re-done. The hair around your front hair line WILL I repeat WILL break off if you don't. Stylists tend to put the smallest braids in the front and those braids often pull the most (because they are closest to your face and easier to reach with your hands so you touch them more). I would say, re-do the front part after about a month to avoid breakage. Also, when you take out these braids, you will find that there will be clumps of dirt right around the top of the braid (where they hook in the weave) regardless of how often you wash. Because the braids in the front of your hair are smaller, its harder to get these clumps out. If you leave the braids in too long, you may risk tearing the hair to get out the dirt.

Thanks for the advice. I think once a month wash will be fine. I don't think I will leave them in for more than 2 months.

I would like to know also. I plan to only keep mine for 2 weeks. Why can't you wash and condition the length of the braid?

I would like to know also. I plan to only keep mine for 2 weeks. Why can't you wash and condition the length of the braid?

Sis, I do it without any problems. Of course I have the advantage of being able to redo any that unravel but if you're careful, they won't. For my 4B natural hair, if they do unravel, it's only up to where my hair ends. That stays braided.

After wetting my head, I basically apply shampoo to my scalp using fingers and massage well to clean. Then when I start to rinse under a shower head, I squeeze the length of the braids as suds run through them. If the suds aren't white/clean, I repeat the scalp shampoo again and then the squeeze through the braids as water runs through. I don't pile my hair up on my head but leave it hanging down. (If I were worried about them unraveling, I'd put my hair in about 8 big plaits and put rubber bands at the ends before shampooing.)

After rinsing the shampoo out, I apply conditioner to a few braids at a time in the careful way relaxer is applied to hair. I skip the inch or so closest to my scalp for a few reasons to be mentioned shortly, and I only apply until the tips of my hair, not the extensions. 1) The newest hair is fairly healthy and doesn't need as much TLC as the rest of the hair. 2) Getting conditioner inside the base of the braids can be hard to rinse out and that residue would lead to knotting that leads to breakage when you undo. 3) Conditioner on your scalp can lead to itches...and it's very likely that if it enters that base of the braid, it may not all rinse off coz it can be like a knot and that will mean itches that never go away. (I never apply conditioner to my scalp even when not in braids.) So after applying condish to a few braids, I squeeze them to allow the conditioner to penetrate the braids and then plait them to keep them out of the way while I concentrate on another set of braids. I always leave them hanging down so that conditioner doesn't drip to my scalp and so that it drips to the ends of my where it's most needed.

If DCing (which I do once a week), then I put on a cap still without piling them on my head and then go under a dryer. If just conditioning, I wait a while and rinse with the squeezing motion I used to wash them. Then comes my favorite part of the wash: ACV Rinse. For this, I put about 1/4 cup of ACV in a basin or bucket of about 2 gallons of water. Then add about 20 drops of EOs of rosemary and of lavender. I then dunk my head in the solution and massage my scalp to my heart's content while letting the hair just soak up the goodness of the solution. Next I wrap the braids in a towel turban style while hanging my head down so they are wrapped lengthwise. And voilà.

I wash my braids twice a week. Below is what they looked like after the first wash since I put them in. As you can see, the ends do unravel a bit, but that's an easy fix. The main part of the braid stays intact.
IMG_5069-vi.jpg

Thanks Nonie,
I can prob braid any braids that might come. I plan on washing some time next week. I'll let you know how it goes....p.s. your braids are nice :)

Sis, I do it without any problems. Of course I have the advantage of being able to redo any that unravel but if you're careful, they won't. For my 4B natural hair, if they do unravel, it's only up to where my hair ends. That stays braided.

After wetting my head, I basically apply shampoo to my scalp using fingers and massage well to clean. Then when I start to rinse under a shower head, I squeeze the length of the braids as suds run through them. If the suds aren't white/clean, I repeat the scalp shampoo again and then the squeeze through the braids as water runs through. I don't pile my hair up on my head but leave it hanging down. (If I were worried about them unraveling, I'd put my hair in about 8 big plaits and put rubber bands at the ends before shampooing.)

After rinsing the shampoo out, I apply conditioner to a few braids at a time in the careful way relaxer is applied to hair. I skip the inch or so closest to my scalp for a few reasons to be mentioned shortly, and I only apply until the tips of my hair, not the extensions. 1) The newest hair is fairly healthy and doesn't need as much TLC as the rest of the hair. 2) Getting conditioner inside the base of the braids can be hard to rinse out and that residue would lead to knotting that leads to breakage when you undo. 3) Conditioner on your scalp can lead to itches...and it's very likely that if it enters that base of the braid, it may not all rinse off coz it can be like a knot and that will mean itches that never go away. (I never apply conditioner to my scalp even when not in braids.) So after applying condish to a few braids, I squeeze them to allow the conditioner to penetrate the braids and then plait them to keep them out of the way while I concentrate on another set of braids. I always leave them hanging down so that conditioner doesn't drip to my scalp and so that it drips to the ends of my where it's most needed.

If DCing (which I do once a week), then I put on a cap still without piling them on my head and then go under a dryer. If just conditioning, I wait a while and rinse with the squeezing motion I used to wash them. Then comes my favorite part of the wash: ACV Rinse. For this, I put about 1/4 cup of ACV in a basin or bucket of about 2 gallons of water. Then add about 20 drops of EOs of rosemary and of lavender. I then dunk my head in the solution and massage my scalp to my heart's content while letting the hair just soak up the goodness of the solution. Next I wrap the braids in a towel turban style while hanging my head down so they are wrapped lengthwise. And voilà.

I wash my braids twice a week. Below is what they looked like after the first wash since I put them in. As you can see, the ends do unravel a bit, but that's an easy fix. The main part of the braid stays intact.
IMG_5069-vi.jpg

I wash & Condition in my braids also....

Washing once a month, not washing, etc... is Pure HOGWASH..

Actually - you might start to smell like a hog....

Ladies,

I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, but I WASH MY BRAIDS EVERY DAY TO EVERY OTHER DAY when I wear them! I never get a "smell" from my braids. I practice the C&G ALL last summer and gain almost 3" of new growth from the method.

Staples used:
- My diluted shampoo - of your liking
- My moisture conditioner - of your liking
- Megatek - Full stength
- Infusium - Leave in (for permed hair - original formula)
- Lustrasilk - Olive Oil...
I even sealed my braids after Infusim, I used She butter and then Lustrasilk. After wards I sealed with the oil of my liking (I use a mix of several).

My suggestion is look up the Crown and Glory method. It helped me alot!

Thanks Nonie. I couldn't imagine washing my hair once a month, that would be awful. I'm gonna braid my hair for 2 weeks in June. I'm doing them myself.

I wash & Condition in my braids also....

Washing once a month, not washing, etc... is Pure HOGWASH..

Actually - you might start to smell like a hog....

Girl, I was wondering. I know LHCF ladies are not walking around here funky.:nono:

Ladies,

I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, but I WASH MY BRAIDS EVERY DAY TO EVERY OTHER DAY when I wear them! I never get a "smell" from my braids. I practice the C&G ALL last summer and gain almost 3" of new growth from the method.

Staples used:
- Megatek - Full stength
I even sealed my braids after Infusim, I used She butter and then Lustrasilk. After wards I sealed with the oil of my liking (I use a mix of several).

This sounds good to me.

Is there an everything you need to know about braids thread around here somewhere? I can't find it.:perplexed

Ladies,

Staples used:
- Megatek - Full stength

How long does it take for them to dry?

Thanks Nonie. I couldn't imagine washing my hair once a month, that would be awful. I'm gonna braid my hair for 2 weeks in June. I'm doing them myself.

Ewww, um no :perplexed

Washing obviously does not braids smell, that doesn't even make sense. It's that you have to make sure they are completely dry, THAT'S what causes a mildew smell. I just took out braids, had them 2 1/2 months and washed them every week and then twice a week when I started swimming. It would take 5 -6 hours for them to airdry completely and you have to leave them down, not in a ponytail or bound or tied up in any way.

Last edited:
Ewww, um no :perplexed

Washing obviously does not braids smell, that doesn't even make sense. It's that you have to make sure they are completely dry, THAT'S what causes a mildew smell. I just took out braids, had them 2 1/2 months and washed them every week. It would take 5 -6 hours for them to airdry completely and you have to leave them down, not in a ponytail or bound or tied up in any way.

Ok thanks. So, I know I can't wash in the morning before work, it'll have to be in the evening.

I wash my hair in the morning before work on my mid-week wash. I usually have my hair damp when I go to work if I am too lazy to wash at night. I have never had a mildew-y smell. I must also mention that I don't use products in my hair so maybe that helps? *shrug* Sometimes I'll even wear my hair in this do while it's damp and go to work and then maybe go another day with it like that, in order to get a braid out look:
bitmap58697-vi.jpg

My hair smells like nothing but conditioner. Every now and again, I will give someone a hug they always comment on how fresh my hair smells or ask me what perfume I'm wearing--and a few times I haven't had any on-- so mildew has never been a problem.

But I have smelled hair that hasn't been washed. It's got a musky smell, like sweat and dust mixed. I used to volunteer to redo people's hairlines when they looked bad and trust me, I have smelled the funk of unwashed braided hair.

Nonie, Imma need you to blow those pictures up so I have study them.

What were you thinking posting those small pictures, you know I wear glasses?:perplexed

Nonie, Imma need you to blow those pictures up so I have study them.

What were you thinking posting those small pictures, you know I wear glasses?:perplexed

Bwahahah! :lachen: Those pics are from 2007 so I don't think I have blown up pics. I did try to get the uploaded pic on Fotki to see if they could be any bigger and I'm attaching them here. I hope they show up a touch bigger.

I'll work on doing a braid out with my current braids and take a large pic of the braids for you if those don't suffice. Let me know.

Attachments

• braidout.jpg
    braidout.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 21
Aw Nonie, I love how each of your posts is detailed and has pictures for us slow folks. Mostly I just look at the pictures and drool.

I wanna pick your brain about the types of hair you have used (other than the HisandHers), but that's another thread on another day.

Bwahahah! :lachen: Those pics are from 2007 so I don't think I have blown up pics. I did try to get the uploaded pic on Fotki to see if they could be any bigger and I'm attaching them here. I hope they show up a touch bigger.

I'll work on doing a braid out with my current braids and take a large pic of the braids for you if those don't suffice. Let me know.

:lachen::lachen::lachen: Thanks Sis.

Aw Nonie, I love how each of your posts is detailed and has pictures for us slow folks. Mostly I just look at the pictures and drool.

I wanna pick your brain about the types of hair you have used (other than the HisandHers), but that's another thread on another day.

Nonie is full of info. I'm sure she don't mind sharing whatever she knows. She has been very generous with me.:yep:

That's easy, Hun. I am not even discriminate when buying hair. I just walk into the BSS and ask for where they have their 100% human hair and then get the longest I can get (usually 24 inches). At HisandHer, I get longer lengths. I didn't even know (and still don't know) the difference between all the names you call out eg Yaki. What's funny is I even once bought a 100% human hair in a Sally's and is said "Made in Kenya". :lol: Which is odd because my sis in Kenya will ask me to buy hair from here to send to her coz it's "better quality here".

The braid out pics I posted from 2007 were done with Beverly Johnson Wet N Wavy 20" in 1B.

I wore braids a lot back in the day (the 90s). I washed my scalp 2ce a week with shampoo, and conditioned the length of the braid lightly each time. Never had mildew smell. I made an effort to "air out" my scalp after each wash, but never sat under a dryer or anything like that. Braids were my summer time do so the sun usually took care of the drying for me.

That's easy, Hun. I am not even discriminate when buying hair. I just walk into the BSS and ask for where they have their 100% human hair and then get the longest I can get (usually 24 inches). At HisandHer, I get longer lengths. I didn't even know (and still don't know) the difference between all the names you call out eg Yaki. What's funny is I even once bought a 100% human hair in a Sally's and is said "Made in Kenya". :lol: Which is odd because my sis in Kenya will ask me to buy hair from here to send to her coz it's "better quality here".

The braid out pics I posted from 2007 were done with Beverly Johnson Wet N Wavy 20" in 1B.

I read you should only use Kenekalon? hair?

Girls, is Kanekalon synthetic?

:rofl: Do you see what I mean about not really knowing the differences between brands? IF it says 100% Human Hair on the pack and is the length and color I want, then I'm happy.

I am partial to human hair because it offers me the option of heat styling and hence I can wear any do that someone with straight hair can wear. Part of why I like the hair to be past my own in length is so I can use heat on the ends w/o worrying about the damage to my own hair.

This do was done a few months after my BC when I had more length that didn't contain my hair and so could curl a huge section of the braid w/o touching my own hair:
bitmap61863-vi.jpg

Otherwise I usually just do the ends:
FreshlyDoneBraidsDec2003-vi.jpg

Synthetic hair makes my scalp itch for some reason and I found the ends prickly, whether sealed or not. Also the hair felt heavier than human hair. Plus because I invest quite a chunk in extensions when getting long ones, I am fond of getting a few years' wear from them and the only way I could stand to wear synthetic was with the ends burned and rolled into points. But redoing meant having to cut that tip which to me was wasteful and an inconvenient chore.

Back