Washing techniques after braidouts..

cookie1

Hi Gurls,
I've been wearing the braid-out for the last week. I'm getting better at it each time and falling more in love with it and not using heat. I do my braid-out on wet hair and let it air dry overnight (with Cholesterol SB Plus as a leave-in).:lick: Every three days I'm washing/conditioning and redoing the braids. After a braid-out my hair is coarser than normal and tangles a little more.

I want you girls to share with me your regime after braid-outs. Do you think I should pre-poo (too make it more manageable)? Is washing/conditioning in the shower enough (sometimes I do a DC also)? Should I just keep at it to see what's best for me.:rolleyes:

I have the same issue with braid outs.
Prepooing really helps. I either put some EVOO or HE Dangerously Straight (this stuff is great at getting rid of tangles/knots) on for about 10-15 min. Wash and DC as usual.

I deep condition on dry hair using ORS Replenish pack and mix it with EVOO and Jamaican blk castor oil sometimes I'll mix in another condtioner, next I'll let sit with a plastic night overnight or under a hooded dryer from 45minutes to an hour. But this really leaves my hair soft and moisturized, also when my braid out starts to look funky I'll pull it back into a puff. Hope this helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_kUp5iykdo

I have the same issue with braid outs.
Prepooing really helps. I either put some EVOO or HE Dangerously Straight (this stuff is great at getting rid of tangles/knots) on for about 10-15 min. Wash and DC as usual.

Thanks, it's good to know I don't have to do an overnight prepoo. Sometimes I want to redo my braids when I get in from work (early morning) so that it's ready for work that same night.

I do braidouts all the time. It's my style of choice. I haven't used heat since november of '08, and I'm loving it. I usually wash and DC 1x a week, I might DC 2x though (sometimes). I pre-poo before my washes, it helps. I tend to co-wash my braidout out, and the conditioners help alot with the tangles. ALOT! I co-wash 2x to 4x a week, depending on my mood. I have curly/corse 4 a/b hair. HTH

I've been doing braid outs and twist outs off and on for about a month and a half now and I pretty much do the same as Giggletush.....I co wash 2-3x's per week depending on my hair I usually DC 1x a week maybe 2 depending on my hair...but I always prepoo, usually using coconut oil, amla oil, vatika frosting, and/or jojoba oil. And I only comb under running water with lots and lots of conditioner Suave Humectant or Garnier Fructis Wonder Waves...this is whats been working for me and I'm currently 16 weeks post relaxer.HTH

to reduce tangles i finger comb my hair every night before i rebraid my hair. i spray S-curl on a small section, detangle with my fingers then braid it again. on wash days i detangle with my fingers before i get my hair wet. then when i have conditioner in my hair (after 5-10 min) i detangle with a wide tooth comb.

I've been doing braid outs and twist outs off and on for about a month and a half now and I pretty much do the same as Giggletush.....I co wash 2-3x's per week depending on my hair I usually DC 1x a week maybe 2 depending on my hair...but I always prepoo, usually using coconut oil, amla oil, vatika frosting, and/or jojoba oil. And I only comb under running water with lots and lots of conditioner Suave Humectant or Garnier Fructis Wonder Waves...this is whats been working for me and I'm currently 16 weeks post relaxer.HTH

:nono:I had strayed away from pre-pooing but was thinking maybe it would be best to get back to it at least while I'm wearing these.

to reduce tangles i finger comb my hair every night before i rebraid my hair. i spray S-curl on a small section, detangle with my fingers then braid it again. on wash days i detangle with my fingers before i get my hair wet. then when i have conditioner in my hair (after 5-10 min) i detangle with a wide tooth comb.

I was finger combing my hair the last two days to help with the detangling also. So it seems like I'm on the right track. :yep:

You guys are the best!

Well, I never pre-poo and rarely DC (only 4 times a year). :look: After a twistout, I:

- carefully finger-detangle dry hair
- co-wash with VO5 or Suave, detangle with Jilbere Shower Comb, then usually rollerset on magnetic rollers
- bonnet dry/airdry

I agree with the last part of your post, though, about doing what's best for you.

Well, I never pre-poo and rarely DC (only 4 times a year). :look: After a twistout, I:

- carefully finger-detangle dry hair
- co-wash with VO5 or Suave, detangle with Jilbere Shower Comb, then usually rollerset on magnetic rollers
- bonnet dry/airdry

I agree with the last part of your post, though, about doing what's best for you.

you have beautiful hair!

Back