Warning - MTG and Silver Jewelry

PatTodd

I just started MTG two days ago. Last night I applied it, put on my satin bonnet and went to sleep. I forgot to remove a silver cross necklace I was wearing (for the first time yesterday), and this morning when I woke up the chain and clasp were tarnished and black where they had laid against my neck. :eek:

I did some research and found that tarnish is actually a chemical reaction between silver and sulfur:

http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/HomeExpts/TARNISH.html

The article contains some tips on how to remove/reverse the tarnish which I will try tonight. I hope it works because I really loved that cross!

I am so glad you let us know! B/c I plan on get my Tiffany necklace real soon and if that would have happen to my necklace I would have fainted (not really)!

Wow so MTG is the culprit:eek:. I was wondering how suddenly all my silver jewelry were turning black. I thought it was happening because of the acne product that I have been using on my back. I will definately have to try these tips to remove the tarnish.

THanks,
I wsa wondering why my Sign of the fish earrings.

I guess I'll have to take my earrings

LondonDiva said:
OMG that happened to my tiffany necklace. I was ready to take it back to the store it makes sense now.

:eek: :eek: :eek: ME TOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I'm sitting here tripping about my necklace and was about to have the hubby take it back. OMG, I hope I can get rid of this. :eek:

Wowza. I make sure to wear two of my Tiffany bracelets daily, was not wearing my necklace but was wearing three pairs of sterling silver hoops that I had recently purchased. Man, I tried to use the Tiffany silver polishing cloth to remove the tarnish from the hoops and couldn't. I was wondering what was going on. I was about to take those things back and I'm not a "nice" person when I have to return something faulty...

Ugh, too late! I didn't even think to report the problems that I was beginning to have. Thanks for at least letting everyone know. I'll have to look at the link to see if I can turn this around.

Thanks again.

O.K. I did the "cure" and it seemed to work - my jewelry is silver again. :thumbsup: I did it twice to be sure. Guess I won't be wearing silver again until I finish with this MTG!

So that's what turned my necklace color!! This whole time I was blaming it on the perfume I spray around my neck. Thanks for the heads up! :)

I KNEW IT!! I KNEW IT! I was wondering what was going on with my jewelry for a minute...now I know!

LOL, too bad this thread wasn't started last week. I just started the MTG last week. I put the MTG on my hair that night and went to sleep. When I awoke the next morning, I was in the house most of the day, but happened to look down and noticed that my silver rings that I had worn when applying the MTG were tarnished! I'm always a day late and a dollar short!

so THAAAAAAATS why my necklace is all black in the back! the sulfur from the sulfur solutions is the culprit! thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Starian, that MTG is working for real on your hair?? I'm new to the board, and I just ordered me some, should be here on Friday.

Yep, happened to me too. Last week I noticed that my silver earrings had turned black overnight. I was like, dayum...how did they tarnish so fast?!? It never occurred to me that it was the MTG.

Oh my gosh, I never thought of that. I just found it strange that all of my earrings have been turning black all of a sudden. I clean my silver with toothpaste, I actually thought that it was because I switched brands but I guess it is the MTG. :(

Okay, so I have gotten really conscientious about my silver jewelry and my MTG. I don't wear it during my MTG days (3-4 days/week) and, I have made sure I'm not having MTG residue on my hands etc. So, I get into the shower to wash out my MTG after 3 days of wearing it in (I applied the MTG 2 of those 3 days). Don't you know when I got out, I realized that my silver ANKLET was jet black as I had forgotten to remove it before showering or didn't realize that the washed out MTG would still be as potent on my shower floor as it was on my scalp.

Another week, I put MTG in and got lazy and didn't apply it again for 3 days. During those 3 days, I was wetting my hair each morning AND evening in the shower so, by the 4th day since that 1 MTG application, I figured there was very little chance there'd be ANY MTG residue on my neck. I wore my silver hoops. LOW AND BEHOLD, they turned black on the side that touches my neck. That MTG will HANG ON until it is washed down your shower drain. GIRLS BEWARE! :mad:

I have brass coloured plug holes in my bathroom where I've washed my hair and hands, I even think the sulfur from the MTG has tarnished that also.

Ladies try apply the MTG with a Q-tip from now on if you are finding this happening.

Back