Want to take down your braids faster?

bgyrl

Hey guys! I just wanted to let you know that I am the queen of wearing braids but right now I am on a break from them. Anyways I went to the african market like two years ago and they were selling this comb looking thing called the unbraider. They said you can take down your braids in half the time, especially if you like wearing micros.

Well I love it! :D

I used it and took like nine braids down in like two minutes and I was surprised cus it was only 20 bucks. If you don't know what I am talking about you can go to this link.

www.theunbraider.com/

Has anyone else heard of it or used it besides me?

you are so sweet for posting this! thanks SO SO much!! Just got the site to load, for my transition I plan on alternating b/t kinky twist extensions & yarn braids....will this work?

Hmmm, I haven't used it with kinky or yarn hair. But I have used it with synthetic and human hair and it should work. All you have to do is make sure your hair has some type of conditioner in it 24 hours before you start taking your hair down and you should be alright.

Well what you do is grab serveral braids. If you have smaller braids you use the small bristle side and for larger braids you use the bigger side. You cut the ends evenly and you start brushing the hair as you go up and before you know it you are at your scalp and you have several braids undone.

Hey, bgyrl!

Thanks for posting this; it sounds wonderful, especially since the last time I had my micros taken down it was $75 big ones! Woo hoo! :)

I may try this. I love micros, but last time I had them it took a DAYto take out. Thanks for posting!

bgyrl said:
Hmmm, I haven't used it with kinky or yarn hair. But I have used it with synthetic and human hair and it should work. All you have to do is make sure your hair has some type of conditioner in it 24 hours before you start taking your hair down and you should be alright.

thanks sweetie

Interesting! I might have to look into this. My kids hate when it's time to take out their braids. I hate it too:grin: It's too time consuming. This just might do the trick. It shouldn't matter if they're natural right?

bgyrl - This looks interesting but I'm curious to know if it pulled any hair out unecessarily. Did you lose any more or less hair than you normally do when taking down braids? I'm really interested in using this on the cornrows under my weave but it's my own hair and it is also relaxed. I looked at the infomercial but I couldn't get a good look at the teeth. The site says that it also combs out the unbraided hair but relaxed hair is usually more fragile so I'm curious. TIA.

nycutiepie said:
bgyrl - This looks interesting but I'm curious to know if it pulled any hair out unecessarily. Did you lose any more or less hair than you normally do when taking down braids? I'm really interested in using this on the cornrows under my weave but it's my own hair and it is also relaxed. I looked at the infomercial but I couldn't get a good look at the teeth. The site says that it also combs out the unbraided hair but relaxed hair is usually more fragile so I'm curious. TIA.

I would like to know this also. I would buy this in a heartbeat if it reduces shedding during take out.

I had way less hair loss when I used the unbraider. Maybe because when I used to take down my braids I didn't condition them. But if you go to the instructional video they have on thier site it will show and tell you everything you need.

The videos aren't working for me. Can anyone tell me how this is different than using a regular fine tooth comb and holding it so it goes through multiple braids at once?

Lys

I want this! This looks like something that would inspire me to braid my hair more often, I hate taking down the braids. I also wonder about knots though, the white ring that you sometimes get around the base of the braid. Would that make untangling difficult or painful?

This is a great invention, I don't wear braids anymore though.

The models on the website are all very beautiful!:)

Well what you do is grab serveral braids. If you have smaller braids you use the small bristle side and for larger braids you use the bigger side. You cut the ends evenly and you start brushing the hair as you go up and before you know it you are at your scalp and you have several braids undone.

I use this same technique with a large rat tail comb. :yep:

I don't know if I'll be purchasing this but I watched the infomercial and was very amused by the mother and little girl using a ballpoint pen to unravel the braids:lachen:

Thanks for the post.

I use this same technique with a large rat tail comb. :yep:

Good to know. I bet a large rat tail comb costs less than the "unbraider".
So using a rate tail comb one shred your hair when you get up to that level? I can't see the video, so does it consist of just combing the braids? I normally use the end of the rat-tail comb to undo my braids.

Thanks, Lys

Well if you use the tail of the rat tail comb you can only take down one braid at a time. With the unbraider I take down 9 at a time and it is way more sturdy than the rat tail comb. Its just a combing process by starting at the bottom and working your way up to the top. It works well for me as a matter of a fact I am going to use it again this weekend.

When I take down with the end of a rat tail comb, I stick it in that little holes that go down the middle of the length of the braid (do you know what I mean?) Is this the same thing with the Unbraider? Or us the Unbraider used more like combing in that more than one tooth goes in each braid?

Lys

It's like combing that's how you take down several at a time. One side is like a wide tooth comb for bigger braids and the other side is like a carpet brush for smaller braids.

So when I get up to where my real hair is intertwined with the braid hair, It would be akin to combing my hair?

I think I'll have to use Sareca's method until i reach my hair. Then use the end of a rat tail comb. I'm afraid that if I comb my hair with a comb so thin, it would break. I have fragile thin thin strands.

Lys

Call me a party pooper, but you can do the same thing with a comb with fine teeth. If you hold a braid and comb out the end, not digging too far down the braid but just at the very end, of course it'll unravel. So all they're doing is holding several braids together and using some tool like a comb to comb it out the same way. :look:

If you watch the video and repeat the same thing with a comb and your own spritz or oil, you'll have the same results. It's a no-brainer.

I know braids are easier to take down when they are moisturized. How exactly does this comb work?

The demo is here: THE UNBRAIDER INSTRUCTIONS

Call me a party pooper, but you can do the same thing with a comb with fine teeth. If you hold a braid and comb out the end, not digging too far down the braid but just at the very end, of course it'll unravel. So all they're doing is holding several braids together and using some tool like a comb to comb it out the same way. :look:

If you watch the video and repeat the same thing with a comb and your own spritz or oil, you'll have the same results. It's a no-brainer.

The demo is here: THE UNBRAIDER INSTRUCTIONS
Thanks Nonie, maybe I should have drenched them in conditioner overnight and it would've been better. Also would I be able to do more than one like they do?

Back