Want to straighten my hair this weekend...

ms_kenesha

I am a mess, I told myself that I wasn't going to use heat on my hair until I had been natural for a year (Feb. 05), but here it is 6mths and a week later and I want to straighten my hair. I even had a dream about it last night.

Here's the thing I've never pressed my hair in my life!!!
shocked.gif
So, what steps should I go through? Should I wash deep condition, air dry a little and press or should I use my blow dryer with the comb attachment and then press? I plan on using my ceramic jumbo curling iron after as my "flat iron" or whatever, so I think the blow drying would just be too much heat.

I don't want to use a lot of product or a pressing cream because I know that can make your hair look all gummy and pressed down to your face as well as me not wanting to breakout and have an oil slick all over my face
laugh.gif

Tips, advice, well wishes are ALL APPRECIATED!
smile.gif

This may sound weird but I think that you should stick to your commitment. If you promised yourself a year ago that you would not use, heat than I wouldn’t use heat until Feb '05. To me self-commitment is a promise that cannot be reckoned with under any circumstances.
smile.gif

But if you must use heat than I would say to see a professional. That heat barrel, pressing comb, ect. can be very dangerous if not handled properly. Have you ever pressed anyone else’s hair? Maybe you have some experience with using it on someone else's hair. But if you've never done it I'd say leave this one to the pros
smile.gif

Do you know how to roller-set? I think the best and healthiest way to straighten natural hair is to roller-set it first. That way you could use less heat if you need to flat-iron afterwards. Also I swear by Wild Growth Oil when straightening, use a light hand though. My hair doesn't revert as quickly when I use it. Good luck and post pics
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Cinnabuns said:
This may sound weird but I think that you should stick to your commitment. If you promised yourself a year ago that you would not use, heat than I wouldn’t use heat until Feb '05. To me self-commitment is a promise that cannot be reckoned with under any circumstances.
smile.gif

But if you must use heat than I would say to see a professional. That heat barrel, pressing comb, ect. can be very dangerous if not handled properly. Have you ever pressed anyone else’s hair? Maybe you have some experience with using it on someone else's hair. But if you've never done it I'd say leave this one to the pros
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't sound weird at all. I'm still up in the air about doing it.
smile.gif

I've pressed my little sister's hair before. I don't want to go to a pro because I'm afraid they'd give me so much of a hard press that they'd damage it, plus a lot of people that press (IMO) use too much product.
nono.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Carefree said:
Do you know how to roller-set? I think the best and healthiest way to straighten natural hair is to roller-set it first. That way you could use less heat if you need to flat-iron afterwards. Also I swear by Wild Growth Oil when straightening, use a light hand though. My hair doesn't revert as quickly when I use it. Good luck and post pics
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I do know how to rollerset, but I get real impatient with them. I was thinking about using WGO because I know that when I had a lot of new growth blowdrying with that made my roots look extra straight.
smile.gif

On another note, I got my black henna in the mail yesterday, but I don't know whether I want to henna until it gets to be colder (fall) because I like dark hair in the fall, but lighter hair in the summer.

Whatever I end up doing...hennaing or straightening I'll post pics. Hopefully I can borrow my sis' digicam...I'm going over the house to do her hair tomorrow.
smile.gif

I am with Carefree. If you have never pressed DO NOT experiment. I burnt my hair while I was learning. Just do a roller set and wrap it. As long as you pull the new growth taunt while rolling you will get really good results. Bubbln is good at this.

Please be careful with pressing. If you are going to do it use a comb with heat settings. Whenever I press my own hair, I always use the dlow system. I don't press anymore so I haven't used it in a while. Just be very careful, a pressing comb can turn you hair into crispy crumbs if your not careful. Good luck!

Good, I didn't want to hav to show you pics of what I did to my hair a couple of years ago. All I can say is HOT MESS LOL!

[ QUOTE ]
Carefree said:
Oh and check the weather - if rain or humidity is in the forecast don't even waste your time chica!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, it is supposed to be rainy this weekend. I'll hold off for a while.
smile.gif

I burnt my hair while learning as well
frown.gif
If you really want to do it, I think it's easier to do a okay rollerset (it doesn't even have to be a good one) and flat iron over each section that was rollerset.

i would say try to avoid the heat but if you have a melt down like i did I would say blow dry with a comb attachment (mine has a metal plate) to get the pressed look and then flatiron. the pressing comb can do a world of hurt if you dont use them right. I pressed used a lot of heat when i pressed recently (please dont spank me it was a melt down after a traumatic event) here were my steps:
1. motions oil moisturizing conditioner
2. rinse, blowdry with heat protectant
3. press without products
4. add light oil press over again
5. flatiron a few spots to bend and shape the hair
my hair was light and had good movement i think it is because i didnt use pressing grease
How come it is raining in VEGAS is this a sign, hopefully it is just nature.

If you have never pressed your hair then…BACK AWAY FROM THE HOT COMB! The last thing you want to do is fry your hair off. On the stove, or electric, if you aren’t careful with the pressing comb you could do some serious damage to your hair. Have you thought about getting someone else to do it for you (i.e. the shop or someone experienced)? I mean it will probably cost some money ($10-$20) if you go to the shop, but whoever is going to do it has some experience. Also, you said you were trying to keep heat out, why not get a roller set? Whatever you decide to do just be careful.

I agree! Be careful with the pressing comb!
shocked.gif

I blow dry on the cold setting first or sometimes I air dry. I can't rollerset worth anything.
look.gif
I straighten with a flatiron and use a pressing comb on the roots and/or edges.

Back