Want Soft and Smooth Ends? Try the Baggied Roller Method!!

kiesha8185

I've been getting a lot of questions on how I was able to retain my damaged ends without cutting, and how I care for my hair at night. I made a picture tutorial in my fotki, but I posted the most important steps here.

I love doing this method because it prevented me from trimming my length. Note: This technique should not and cannot "fix" damaged ends. If your ends are damaged (splits) the only remedy is to cut them off. But sometimes your ends can look damaged (dry, scraggly) and they're not. If this is your problem, then this can work for you. As long as you're not sacrificing the overall health of your hair, then keep your ends.

Baggied Roller Method

WHAT YOU NEED:
-moisturizer or leave-in
-magnetic rollers (gray 2-inch in diameter)***
-a couple bobby pins or clips
-plastic shower cap***
-silk scarf

OPTIONAL (if you have a lot of new growth)
-100% natural boar bristle brush

***You may need more than one roller and/or shower cap depending on the length/thickness of your hair.

First, I moisturize my hair in sections. I use NTM Silk Touch Leave-in Conditioner. Then I pull my hair up in a ponytail. Don't use a scrunchie, just your hands. I guess you can use one if you want, but it can leave a dent in your hair. Personally, I choose not to because of potential breakage.

From the base of the pony, loosen up your grip and hold your hair towards the ceiling.

Take the roller and put it on the ends of your hair. Keep on rolling towards your head.

Use the clips to secure.

Next, take the shower cap and pull it over the roller.

Pull it towards the ceiling to make the elastic tighter. You don't need to pull hard. Put your fingers in the shower cap, and twist it once...Act as if the shower cap is a scruchie.

Here's what my hair looks like. I didn't need to use the comb to smooth it out, just smooth with my hands. When I have more new growth, that's when I use the boar bristle brush.

I don't really use brushes on my hair. So I only pull this out at the end of my stretch, when I have a lot of new growth that I need to lay flat. Just hold the brush on its side and lightly pass it along your hair. Put a little extra moisturizer before you do this.

Then put on a silk scarf. I highly HIGHLY recommend getting a silk scarf over a satin one. Personally, I felt a difference in the softness of my hair when I use silk rather than satin. The silk ones help retain moisture in my hair, whereas the satin ones seem to leave my hair a little drier and more rough.

This is what my hair looks like after I remove the roller. It gives my hair a nice bump on the end.

I really love this method cuz it's a cross between Sylver2's scarf method (giving credit to her!) and baggying your ends. I couldn't hang with the whole-head baggy :nono:, so I tried this instead.
  • It keeps my ends moisturized and smooth
  • My hair gets a little straighter every time I do it
  • It gives me the wrapped look without wrapping
  • Controls my new growth
  • Helps me stretch longer (low-mani)
I do not do this on damp or wet hair...I wait until my hair is completely (air)dry. By the 4th day, my hair kinda looks like the hair in my siggy. I have the link to all the pics in this tutorial below: http://public.fotki.com/Kiesha8185/dailynight-care-reg/daily-regimen/

I hope this helps you guys! Enjoy!

Last edited:
Yet another idea that rocks!!! Where did you buy the silk scarf? I can only find the "fake" scratchy silk at the Beauty Supply stores. OTOH I might have to go to Wal-Mart and buy some in the sewing/textile center:look:...

I forgot i wanted to try this when i was in your album a few weeks ago.
I really like how the end result gave your hair a nice bend to it.

*Note to self to pick up some og those rollers you have*

Thank you for the tutorial--very nice! :up:

Lately, I've been doing something similar, except with pincurls and a loose scrunchie (never any breakage) holding a ponytail low at the nape. I actually carry these plastic hair caps in my glove compartment and handbag now, placing over my pincurls in the back, mainly to keep my ends smooth when humidity is high. :yep:

BTW, did you mean Sylver2's scarf method? That's what I use when airdrying. :)

I saw this in your fotki!
When my hair gets a little longer,i'm def. gonna try it:yep:

Would you say you have fine or thick strands?

A keeper - will definitely try this tonight ....

Silk scarfs - where can you find those - I can only seem to find the satin ones?

Thanks for the tutorial, Sylvester's scarf technique is the bomb, I've been doing this for a couple of years now :grin:.. Your ends look good girl :yep:

Keisha I've been using your method since stalking your fotki sometime in November or December and it's been working really well :grin:

Yea that is really nice and ur hair is so pretty afterwards.....I will try once my hair gets pass SL if my pony is long enough. But I also have a tendancy to put my pony in the same spots, I will try to change that up so I wont have breakage.. **Running to google silk scraves b4 class starts**

Keisha I actually looked at your fotki a couple of months ago and saw this method and I have been using it from time to time and it has worked wonders for me. This method leaves my ends straighter and with more body then usual.

Ohh thank you for sharing!
I may have to try this...do you sleep with hat roller in?? I know I couldnt do that but I will be using it during the day if I can find some rollers like that!

Thanks again...and your hair is gorgeous!

Uzz

Thanks for posting, this is great!

I'd also like to know where you ladies are getting authentic silk scarves from? Not those fake me out polyester ones.:nono:

Then put on a silk scarf. I highly HIGHLY recommend getting a silk scarf over a satin one. Personally, I felt a difference in the softness of my hair when I use silk rather than satin. The silk ones help retain moisture in my hair, whereas the satin ones seem to leave my hair a little drier and more rough.

I sooo agree with this! My Sis Atrinibeauty sent me some 100% silk scarves and I notice a HUGE difference between using those and the regular satin scarves. I can't seem to find any 100% silk scarves around here though. I guess I could just go to a fabric store and buy some 100% silk fabric.

Anyhow, this is an excellent addition to Adrienne's original baggie method. I am going to use it when I finish relaxing.

Thank you so much Keisha! My ends have been horrible lately and I know I have been taking good care of my hair and I do not want to trim. I am going to try this. Thank you so much!

Re: Want Soft and Smooth Ends? Try the Baggied Roller Method!!

What a great idea! Imma try this 2day. Wonder if my hair will revert? You have beautiful hair keisha.

I've been getting a lot of questions on how I was able to retain my damaged ends without cutting, and how I care for my hair at night. I made a picture tutorial in my fotki, but I posted the most important steps here.

I love doing this method because it prevented me from trimming my length. Note: This technique should not and cannot "fix" damaged ends. If your ends are damaged (splits) the only remedy is to cut them off. But sometimes your ends can look damaged (dry, scraggly) and they're not. If this is your problem, then this can work for you. As long as you're not sacrificing the overall health of your hair, then keep your ends.

Baggied Roller Method

WHAT YOU NEED:
-moisturizer or leave-in
-magnetic rollers (gray 2-inch in diameter)***
-a couple bobby pins or clips
-plastic shower cap***
-silk scarf

OPTIONAL (if you have a lot of new growth)
-100% natural boar bristle brush

***You may need more than one roller and/or shower cap depending on the length/thickness of your hair.

First, I moisturize my hair in sections. I use NTM Silk Touch Leave-in Conditioner. Then I pull my hair up in a ponytail. Don't use a scrunchie, just your hands. I guess you can use one if you want, but it can leave a dent in your hair. Personally, I choose not to because of potential breakage.

From the base of the pony, loosen up your grip and hold your hair towards the ceiling.

Take the roller and put it on the ends of your hair. Keep on rolling towards your head.

Use the clips to secure.

Next, take the shower cap and pull it over the roller.

Pull it towards the ceiling to make the elastic tighter. You don't need to pull hard. Put your fingers in the shower cap, and twist it once...Act as if the shower cap is a scruchie.

Here's what my hair looks like. I didn't need to use the comb to smooth it out, just smooth with my hands. When I have more new growth, that's when I use the boar bristle brush.

I don't really use brushes on my hair. So I only pull this out at the end of my stretch, when I have a lot of new growth that I need to lay flat. Just hold the brush on its side and lightly pass it along your hair. Put a little extra moisturizer before you do this.

This is what my hair looks like after I remove the roller. It gives my hair a nice bump on the end.

I really love this method cuz it's a cross between Sylvester's scarf technique (giving credit to her!) and baggying your ends. I couldn't hang with the whole-head baggy :nono:, so I tried this instead.
  • It keeps my ends moisturized and smooth
  • My hair gets a little straighter every time I do it
  • It gives me the wrapped look without wrapping
  • Controls my new growth
  • Helps me stretch longer (low-mani)
I do not do this on damp or wet hair...I wait until my hair is completely (air)dry. By the 4th day, my hair kinda looks like the hair in my siggy.

I hope this helps you guys! Enjoy!

wow Kiesha! the pics help a lot! i m try with the roller! thanks a bunch by the way your hair looks great! :yep:wtg!
Ek

I might have to try this.

I'm not sure if I can get my hair to stay back in a pony like that without a holder.

Back