Want smoother hair?

ebonylocs

Then try using products geared towards dyed / coloured hair.

I remember reading a post (I think it was by GymFreak) that said that using products geared towards maintaining colour-treated hair was good for porous hair types because they aim to keep the colour from leaching out, and thus close and smooth the cuticle.

Well, a few days ago, when I was replacing my leave-in, on a whim I picked up a bottle of V05 leave-in for coloured hair. (THis is just the one I happened to see. I'm sure there are better ones out there). I used it after my wash, before detangling and doing braids for my braidout.

It did not give me much slip for detangling, although when I used a lot, it helped a little, because I coud feel it smoothing the hair. And now that my hair is dry, my hair feels smoother and silkier than any other braidout I can remember doing. :yep:

I think it's important to let the hair dry completely. Last week I also used it, but didn't have these good results, maybe because my hair didn't dry completely before I unbraid it. Rubbing a light pomade / hairdress over the dry hair should also help.

Maybe if you give this a try, it might help you. Of course, everything doesn't work the same on everybody.

BTW: I have BSL 4B very dense hair, fine strands, relaxed with a good amount of new growth.

Last edited:
I used to do this all the time (don't know why I stopped actually:look:) But the stuff for color treated hair does seem better :yep:

That makes mucho sense!!!!:)

I HAVE A QUESTION OFF TOPIC KIND OF!!

Does anyone NOT wash their hair in sections? I mean, do you wash your hair in a downward motion under the water???

Thanks in advance!!!

Does anyone NOT wash their hair in sections? I mean, do you wash your hair in a downward motion under the water???

I don't wash my hair in braids, and I wash it in exactly the downward motion that you describe.

However, I'm thinking of trying washing with braids again to reduce my tangling, although they did not help me dramatically in the past.

I don't wash my hair in braids, and I wash it in exactly the downward motion that you describe.

However, I'm thinking of trying washing with braids again to reduce my tangling, although they did not help me dramatically in the past.

Thank you so much for answering.

I have does the washing in braids thing in the past and watch out!!!
I get all these knots at the end of my hair. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what but the downward thing has been working for me... (I'm about 2 months post)

Ladies,

Just to follow up on this, the leave-in for coloured hair has been working quite well for me.

I mentioned my braidout in my original post; today I airdried my hair loose and it also came out smoother and silkier than ever before.

I noticed that throughout last week my hair felt smooth and moisturised, and got a lot less tangled than usual. This was despite the fact that I only finger-combed throughout the entire week, which usually makes my hair quite tangly.

I also experimented with leaving in Porosity Control Conditioner, since I surmised it would have a similar effect (since it has a low ph and is aimed at balancing porosity). It did seem to have a similar effects, but even though I used it sparingly, it left a bit of white residue when it dried.

So, if you're having problems with frizzy, tangly hair that dries out easily, give products aimed at colored hair (or low ph products in general) a try. They just might help you.

Post your results here. Don't exaggerate. If it worked for you then great, but if not, at least you tried it.

Thank you so much for answering.

I have does the washing in braids thing in the past and watch out!!!
I get all these knots at the end of my hair. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what but the downward thing has been working for me... (I'm about 2 months post)
Yeah, when I was natural, washing in braids gave me knots on my ends. So with that plus the increased manipulation of plaiting and unplaiting, it didn't seem worth it for *slightly* less tangling while washing. As a relaxed head, I barely notice any difference in tangling with washing loose vs. washing in braids.

I got total different result, this weekend I shampooed & deep conditioned my hair as usual but I did not allow my hair to dry all the way and it was so soft. I guess I will be doing that from now on :grin:

Thanks in advance!!!
(raising hand)YES!I ain't got time for all that braiding unbraiding mess.I slap some conditioner on for a few minutes and then let the water untangle it while using the shower comb.It works good for me:blush:

Oh yeah I have two bottles of treatment for color treated hair on the way(product junkie mishap:blush:)So this is good to hear.I'll reply back here after I wash my hair with them

Thx for the tip! I'm going to try a conditioner for "colored treated hair" once I'm done with my current products.

I wash my hair without sectioning it. I do it in the sink or shower. Never get knots or tangles. It mystifies me too because I hear that complaint a lot. But like the saying goes, never look a gift horse in the mouth so I'll just be thankful!:yep:

UPDATE..
I dc'd with a treatment for colored hair and my hair is very silky so far(it hasn't dried yet).I did less detangling then usual(even though I don't spend much time on detangling).I still had to do a follow up with kenra but all in all this works well.I think treatments for colored hair would work great for people wth dull hair or who have a tough time with detangling.

I agree with the OP. I read articles by many professional stylists and they say that the most gentle products to use are the color-treated kinds.

Thanks in advance!!!

Thanks for the tip, OP.:yep:
And I dont wash my hair in sections. I know it's supposed to make it easier but Im lazy and impatient by nature.nds. Having problems with hair being tangly and stuck together by the longer strands.:sad: Still need to get to Sallys but Im waiting til my products run out.

Back