Vigorol ??

USCgirl08

Has anyone used or heard of this? My mom mentioned it to me.....she said they used it "back in the day"..lol The reason I'm asking because I was looking for something to help make my presses last. I don't want a texturizer (sp??) or a real relaxer. It says it's a liquid relaxer and you shampoo it on ....does anyone have a clue??? OR what can I put on my hair to help my presses last?

USCgirl08 said:
Has anyone used or heard of this? My mom mentioned it to me.....she said they used it "back in the day"..lol The reason I'm asking because I was looking for something to help make my presses last. I don't want a texturizer (sp??) or a real relaxer. It says it's a liquid relaxer and you shampoo it on ....does anyone have a clue??? OR what can I put on my hair to help my presses last?

My Dad used to use this stuff to relax his natural. It used to stink to high heavens and dry his hair out a lot. It will help your presses last... but it is a relaxer.

yes it is a liquid relaxer, I actually gave my daughter one when she was younger to help w/that thickness. It actually removes access bulk from the hair and presses will last. It is veeeeeeeeeeeeery driing so you will need to follow up w/a hot oil treatment and constantly feed your hair moisture to bring it back from the desert and yes it does stink but you can follow up w/another poo afterwards for frangrance. When you do apply it you have to start combing it w/a wide tooth comb working your way down to a smaller one for the time stated. The combing is what actually helps relax the hair, my cousin also received this for years appose to a relaxer and I say w/ all the driing it does you would be better off just relaxing your hair or texturizing if you think you may not be able to over come the dryness. But if you do decide to go w/this you can wear your hair as if it was relaxed in any style you choose, just blow driing gets the hair really straight and appling jam doesn't make the hair revert so quickly. HTH's
As for what can help your presses last soemtimes depending on the hair you may need just a light serum as oppose to something heavy, you may have to try out a few things first, but it you thing your hair needs something light I'd say go w/Wonder 8 oil, Medium go w/WGO or Silk Touch pressing cream by Liz and Daughter (smell like candy too), Heavy go w/Curling Wax by Ampro. You will also have to incorporate this w/a hard press which means you will press the top and bottom of each section maybe 2x's and you would want to use a good pressing comb that has been tempered. HTH's

Last edited:
Back in 1986, my mom and I (I was 8 years old) visited her cousin and her family. One day, she began to treat her 2 small daughters with a Vigorol liquid relaxer-the gitls hair was past their shoulders!! She convinced my mom to try it on my hair, and it made my hair more managable. My mom continued to use it on my hair until 1988-my hair grew beautifully!! I must admit, it was a bit smelly, but it worked for me!

will it make your hair fall out if not applied correctly like a perm will? I saw some in the bss and was thinking about getting it for the next time I need a perm but I am a bit weary of at home relaxers.

my mom tried it on her hair a couple of days ago....just like yall said....IT SMELLED!!!..LOL...she curled her hair and her curls are still lasting....but i dont think i will get it. I'm getting my hair pressed Mon (and great, it will RAIN...seems like everytime i decide to get my hair pressed it wants to rain for 2-3 days....urgh)

--beautifulwideeyes:: thanks! i will try to find some of those products

Back