VENT: MY HAIR IS GROWING SOOOO SLOWLY

Karamelcutie

I'm trying to stay positive about my hair journey but I feel like my hair is growing soooo slowly. I wear a wash n go everyday because I feel like that's the only thing I can do to my hair. I want to try twists and other styles but it seems like they all look better on longer hair. Granted my hair seems like it has thickened up a lot, but I WANT LENGTH. I envisoned that I would be a whole lot farther along by this point in my hair journey, it's been 8 months. But my hair seems to be about the same length as when I started. Sorry for the vent but I really really want longer hair and I'm started to get discouraged that I'll ever get it.

Im sure you have heard the saying "a watched pot never boils"....its sooo true. Your hair WILL grow. Wash n gos are my primary style too and Ive gained quite a bit of length and thickness since february. I straightened it for the first time in months the other day and was pleasantly suprised at how much longer and fuller my hair was before I flat ironed it to tame it. If whatever you are currently doing is working as far as improving the health of your hair, the length is sure to follow.;)

Have you ever tried WGO or Bt. I know many women on the board gain alot of growth from using those me as well. You should look up some threads that talk about hair growth..you may be surprized. I hope you can feel better (((YOU)))....:) :) :)

Leslie_C said:
Im sure you have heard the saying "a watched pot never boils"....its sooo true. Your hair WILL grow. Wash n gos are my primary style too and Ive gained quite a bit of length and thickness since february. I straightened it for the first time in months the other day and was pleasantly suprised at how much longer and fuller my hair was before I flat ironed it to tame it. If whatever you are currently doing is working as far as improving the health of your hair, the length is sure to follow.;)

You must have been reading my mind cuz this is exactly what I was gonna say.

Karamel, it probably seems that way since your hair is always in a curly state. But Im sure that its growing. Most people say that their hair takes off in the summer, and I'll bet yours will, too.:) Also, Id rather have healthy short hair than long, damaged-looking hair. Remember, the health of your hair is most important IMO.

I have painfully slow growing hair, so I sympathize with your plight - but even when you think nothing is happening....it is. My hair focus had to be healthy hair first (my hair was really damaged) then hopefully, the length would follow.

Just keep the moisture/protein game up, drink your water, watch your ends. It may take a little time...but you'll get there. Keep the faith.

My hair is like a snail until it gets to around the bottom of my neck then it just takes OFF. I don't know if that has to do with the whole growing/resting phases but it is so weird. Right now, I am in that snails pace (nape of neck). I want length too and it is more difficult trying to wear these protective styles and such but just hang in there. I am right there with you sistah!

I don't know what your hair type is, but wash n gos will sabotage your hair growth as a natural. When I wear wng's my hair tangles and I get these knots on the ends that has to come off. I see length when I do protective styles (i.e. braids, twists, weaves, braidouts). Have you thought about wearing kinky twists with extensions? I have some in my hair right now, and they can last 6-8 weeks.

Thanks for your encouragement ladies. I know your hair seems to grow slower when you're watching it. Maybe when I straighten my hair again (probably at the end of the summer) I'll see some growth. Brownskin I know what you mean about the knots, they are sooo annoying. I just had my best friend put in two strand twists because I was tired of the knots. But I'm hesitant to put in extensions or weaves because I've finally got my hair healthy and I don't want to mess it up trying new things. My hair is babyfine and extremely delicate and I would be sooo upset if after all this one bad weave or extension job sent me back to square one.

The most growth I've seen is from bunning everyday, I've retain all my length I have no spilts or anything I've been bunning for over 3 months now and its done great things for my hair, and I cowash everyday or every other day, I also massage my scalp at night with some oils for stimulation good luck chica with what ever you decide, but it is growing maybe not fast as you like but it is:)

guesswho said:
The most growth I've seen is from bunning everyday, I've retain all my length I have no spilts or anything I've been bunning for over 3 months now and its done great things for my hair, and I cowash everyday or every other day, I also massage my scalp at night with some oils for stimulation good luck chica with what ever you decide, but it is growing maybe not fast as you like but it is:)

Same for me @ bolded.
If you are ok with growth aides, try one! One of the best vitamins you can take is GNC Ultra Nourishair. You will see great growth after 1 bottle (1 month of taking them). Or you might like a topical aide better. There are tons here you can choose from.
Also, I agree that you don't see the growth as much because you hair isnt straight. You know how shrinkage is...;)

guesswho said:

I wish I could bun, but it is THE most unflattering style on me mainly bc I have a big head and my hair looks bad pulled back off my head. The best I can do is loose twist or pinup with some hair out in the front. Im gonna start doing that more so my hair doesnt brush against my shoulders as I pass shoulder length. Even if the ends arent tucked, keeping them moisturized and put up so they arent rubbing anything helps a lot. My hair just started grazing my shouldes in its kinky/curly state and when I straighten it I try to only wear a tank top or something so its just touching my back and not my clothes.

I have bunned on my pressed hair but my natural hair is too short to bun. That's one of my problems, esp. with the front of my hair because it's too short to pull back. I probably have at least another 6 months before I can pull all of my hair back.

Is your hair natural? Your hair is growing. It's probably just the shrinkage that makes it seem like it's not.

Karamelcutie said:
I have bunned on my pressed hair but my natural hair is too short to bun. That's one of my problems, esp. with the front of my hair because it's too short to pull back. I probably have at least another 6 months before I can pull all of my hair back.

My hair isn't that long. I think our hair is actually about the same length but I have way more shrinkage. My hair looks to be only about 3 or 4 inches long when I wash and go. When it's closer to 6 or 7 inches. It doesn't hang at all. But I'm able to pull my hair back. Of course that's with a bun or phony pony attached to my little pony. You might have to use some gel to slick the shorter pieces back, but it can be done. I've been able to pull mines back since November of last year or so. I Bced at the end of September.

Last edited:
Slow and steady wins the race...hang in there girl. Take comparison pics every now and then. You may be surprised to see what progress you make.

BrownSkin2 said:
I don't know what your hair type is, but wash n gos will sabotage your hair growth as a natural. When I wear wng's my hair tangles and I get these knots on the ends that has to come off. I see length when I do protective styles (i.e. braids, twists, weaves, braidouts). Have you thought about wearing kinky twists with extensions? I have some in my hair right now, and they can last 6-8 weeks.

I guess everyone is different because I do wash and go's too and it doesn't sabotage me. It's funny because after doing a week or two of wng's when I straighten my hair I see alot of growth.

Hang in there! You may have a sudden spurt out of no where due to the summer weather. I'll bet your hair is growing but you just don't "see" it. Your hair is very pretty by the way.

Thanks Bre, wash n gos work pretty well for me too minus the tangels.

Bmore, my hair is about 5-7 inches all over, it's just that the front is so short I have to put two bands on the front along with an army of bobby pins to hold it down with its pulled back and it still looks a mess :lol: .

Karamelcutie said:
Thanks Bre, wash n gos work pretty well for me too minus the tangels.

Bmore, my hair is about 5-7 inches all over, it's just that the front is so short I have to put two bands on the front along with an army of bobby pins to hold it down with its pulled back and it still looks a mess :lol: .

Yeah my front part is short too. Actually all of my hair is short :lol: But the trick is to slick it down while it's wet. You can tie it down with a scarf for a while too, if you'd like. But I usually skip that step. I hate having scarves on my head.

Back