using the blowdrier on natural hair

Zgirl

Hello everyone, I have received a lot of useful info. on this forum, I have one question
my hair is natural and it has been healthier natural than when I had a relaxer. I wash my hair once a week and I have been rollersetting and letting it air dry, after than I take the rollers out and straighten my hair with a flat iron.

I find that rollersetting I see more hair come out than if I blowdry and then straighten

does anyone know why this is, or can give me any advise
on what is the best method of drying natural hair and pressing

thanks /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Zgirl;

I was natural a few years ago, and my stylist would let me dry 90% under a hooded dryer and then blow dry it the rest of the way. Her and I both found that my hair would get straight doing it this way, so I needed little heat when pressing.

I am a natural too and the blow dryer does not agree with me.

Does your hair get straight when you roller set it?

I have been thinking about straight styles but I am terrified of pressing because I keep seeing horror stories on breakage.

it does not get completely straight when I rollerset, I still have to use the flat iron to get a straight look

Lodongirl;

Don't be afraid of pressing...done properly (like anything) your hair will be fine. By this I mean using the right products starting with a light shampoo (if you shampoo) and a good conditioner. I swear my hair looked like a DOOLS when I was pressing. I should NEVER had messed with that damm relaxer again.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
does anyone know why this is, or can give me any advise
on what is the best method of drying natural hair and pressing

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Zgirl /images/graemlins/wave.gif

When I blow dry I use the KMS Flat Out Relaxing Balm. It helps to straighten my hair more, gives me protection, detangles and prevents a lot of hair from coming out. I also blow dry on COLD and in sections. Whenever I blowdried using hot heat, I would see hair flying all over the place. The cold hair does the same job, but it doesn't dry the hair out a you get less breakage.

thanks
I will try that sounds like a good idea

I do find tha my hair has grown more and is healthier natural than relaxed, and Iam not afraid of pressing, just b/c I noticed that my hair still looks better and longer than when I had a relaxer. I just need help with drying natural hair without damaging the hair.

thanks again for your suggestions

Hey zgirl,

I noticed the same thing too, that I lost less hair when I blowdried before flatironing as opposed to braiding to dry before flatironing. I'm not sure why, I figure maybe it's because you straightened the strands out with the blowdrier so combing afterwards produced no hairs in the comb. I have no clue /images/graemlins/grin.gif I blowdried before interlocking my hair this weekend and I noticed my hair was easier to get through (not 100% easier but it was good). Usually my sis can't get a comb through my roots at all or if she does then I'm screaming through it /images/graemlins/blush.gif I blowdried on low (which was actually pretty cool). I would blowdry again with a heat protectant and in sections ( I had about 10). HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm not natural, but in Pamel Ferrell's book "Lets talk Hair", she suggest blow drying on low heat in order to make the hair pliable or easier to style, maintain. I had also read where it was much better to blow dry natural hair before pressing in order to remove excess kink in the hair prior to pressing. By doing this you lose less hair. Made sense to me... /images/graemlins/smile.gif Just do in sections and I would add sometype of heat protectant. Best to you all.

Back