Using Egg Yolks (esp for Twist-Wearers)

Thiends

The posts I have read suggest that fuzziness after washing is a major issue for those who like to wear twists. I am wearing twists now and using egg yolk washes to clean my hair while minimizing fuzz. I thought I would share this, in case it is as helpful to someone else as it has been to me:

• 4 egg yolks
  • a few squeezes of a lime
  • 1 tbsp aloe vera gel
  • 2 tbsps plain (full fat) yogurt.
All of the ingredients contribute to cleansing. Additionally, the egg yolks' sulfur content may promote hair growth; the yogurt and lime loosen new growth and help my edges lay down smoothly; and the chemical-free recipe is great for sensitive scalps and minimizes my exposure to the chemicals in shampoo and conditioner. :) I usually add essential oils like thyme, rosemary, lavender, and sage to stimulate my scalp. You can also add 1 tbsp of honey for conditioning effects (avoid if you have build-up) and 1 tbsp of neem oil for anti-bacterial and anti-fungal effects (neem may also promote growth).

I use a tint brush to apply the mixture to my scalp and leave it on for anywhere from five minutes to overnight, depending on how in need of a washing my scalp is. In the morning, I stand under the showerhead (using cool water; eggs can cook in warm water) and let the force of the water do most of the work. As needed, I gently glide my fingers along my scalp. No scrubbing, no scritching, no disturbing the twists.

I let my hair drip dry after. My twists last for several weeks when I use this method to wash, and they look almost new the entire time. :)

Let me know if the method works for you! :)

this works for twists with no extra hair added (just ur own hair)

'cause I just ruined my week old twists by washing yesterday :(

I usually just keep them in for a week, then wash and do a twistout, but since I always hear ladies say they wash their twists I tried it and now my head looks like crap LOL

this works for twists with no extra hair added (just ur own hair)
:yep: I never add hair to my twists, so I have actually tried this only on twists done with just my hair.
'cause I just ruined my week old twists by washing yesterday :(
Did you use shampoo? Back when I used shampoo, one shampooing was all it took for my twists to be wrecked, and conditioner-washing left my twists matted sometimes.

I think the benefits of this washing method as far as preserving twists are that: (1) painting the egg yolk wash onto the scalp with a tint brush cuts out a lot of the scrubbing that ruins twists; (2) the ingredients soften hair (rather than leaving it rough the way shampoo does); and (3) the acidic pH of the mixture keeps cuticles closed and hair smooth.

A conditioner used for conditioner washing can also be painted onto the scalp in the same way. Conditioner is not as nourishing to the hair as the ingredients in the egg yolk wash though. Conditioner also does not have new growth-loosening properties that I love so much.

I love the sound of this method, will try it this weekend. Do you only use it on your scalp or do you use it on the length of the hair too?

Ok, I used it yesterday and loved it. I used it on the length of my hair too as a conditioner even though I wasn't sure if you were supposed to but it works really well. My hair was soft, I was totally surprised as eggs are big protein and I thought my hair would end up hard.

Another question - hope someone can answer this one - How do you leave it on overnight, do you baggy? If so won't your head get too hot and it end up like scrambled egg?:ohwell:

No moisturizing conditioner?

Funny you should ask that, I also thought I might need it but my hair was so soft afterwards I just air dried, mositurised and sealed, thats all that was needed. I did add honey to the mixture though, I suuppose that made some difference.

I needed to egg wash my hair yesterday but didnt get round to it until about midnight so I left it on overnight. I covered in plastic wrap, put on a doo-rag and on top of that a scarf to keep it on tight all night. So to answer my own question- no it doesnt end up like scrambled egg, the mixture stayed runny and was easy to rinse off this morning.

This is my second go at this wash, hair still moisturised no need for mositurising conditioner or DC until I take my braids down. This will be a staple. Thank you Thiends for sharing this with us.

Thiends, thanks but I have a question.

So you only apply the egg mixture but when you stand under the showerhead, it basically runs down the length of your hair, correct?

What do you do to combat shrinkage or do you not worry about that? Have you ever done an acv rinse after you rinse out the egg wash?

Lorks I knew there was a reason why I was saving my egg yolks (found a container of egg yolks in my freezer over the weekend and threw them out)

I washed my twists over the weekend @thiends I used poo and condish. I expected them to be a mess and just planned to retwist when dry.

will try the egg wash next weekend and will update

Back