Using Different Brands Of Relaxer And Neutralizing Agents And Semi-Permanent Coloring

Daisimae

Hi Everyone!

Question: Can I use a non-lye relaxer cream, in this case Profectiv, then neutrailze with Proclaim neutralizing shampoo, instead of the Profectiv neutralizing mousse?

I'd like to do this with my next touch up and follow-up after rinsing with a protein treatment, a DC w/heat of ORS RP mixed with Humectress, and a final rinse of Porosity Control.

After all that I want to use a Clariol semi-permanent color just around my edges to color my grey.

Can I do this?

Daisimae said:
Hi Everyone!

Question: Can I use a non-lye relaxer cream, in this case Profectiv, then neutrailze with Proclaim neutralizing shampoo, instead of the Profectiv neutralizing mousse?

I'd like to do this with my next touch up and follow-up after rinsing with a protein treatment, a DC w/heat of ORS RP mixed with Humectress, and a final rinse of Porosity Control.

After all that I want to use a Clariol semi-permanent color just around my edges to color my grey.

Can I do this?

To the first question, yes! You can use ANY neutralizing shampoo that you want. I used Isoplus no matter which relaxer I've used. The key is just some low pH cleanser to help remove traces of relaxer. The neutralizer does not chemically react with the relaxer in any way. All it does is lower the pH so that the relaxer can no longer process. Even regular shampoos can do this, but neutralizing poos tend to have even lower pHs which help stop the relaxer faster. So it doesn't matter the brand you use. Just make sure that the shampoo has a color alarm/indicator so that you know how you're doing as far as removing traces of relaxer.

To the second question, I would wait at least 2 weeks to do the color following the relaxer. The edges are very delicate too. I'd hate for you to experience breakage on those edges from using those chemicals too close together. Some can be done the same day, (and the color does come out more vibrant and last longer the sooner after the relaxer you do it) but I wouldn't play with that. :nono:

Thank you!

I am going somewhere and don't want to show up frizzy or with a greys. I only have a few right on top of my head. I guess I'll just pluck them. Fortunately they are in the strongest part of my entire head.

Yes you can use anyone. Just make sure that it is a neutralizing shampoo and that you rinse very well.

yes you can use SEMI-permanent but NOT permanent color in the same day. The reason is because semi-permanent color doesn't work the same as permenent there is NO lift (meaning it doesn't lighten your hair; it ususally just darkens, enhance, or cover greys) and generally no ammonia. All it does it deposits color so if you want to cover greys it should be ok. But if it has ammonia or peroxide (again most don't) then stay away and find one that doesn't have it.

Last edited:
Back