using a hooded dryer for deep conditioning...

locabouthair

i know heat is bad. but i thought it was just blowdryers, hot combs, curling irons. i know a lot of ladies here decide not to deep condition using a hooded dryer. is that damaging to the hair as well. i just want to see if i would get better results (preferably more moisture) if i sat under a dryer with the conditioner. what do you ladies think?

Hey girl...
I use my hooded dryer 9 out of 10 times b/c my results are different. For me, the infusion of conditioners is expedited if I use a hood dryer. Without it, I'm walking around the house for 3 or 4 hours trying to get the same effect of 20 or 30 minutes under the hood dryer. I think this is especially important if you add EVOO...I either gotta warm my concoction before applying or sit under the dryer.
Since the heat is not direct and the conditioning cap is a barrier along with con, I highly doubt this would prove to be damaging...but heat is heat, I guess.

HTH...

Heat in this case is good. :grin: It helps the hair cuticle to swell within 20 min. This allows the conditioner to penetrate deep into the hair shaft.

This is a good Question... At first, I was deep conditioning with my hood dryer and then someone mentioned heat! Therefore, I started putting a plastic cap on my head without the hood dryer.

BTW..What is the difference between a conditioner cap and plastic cap? (Should I have asked this in the dumb question thread? :confused: )

I think the concept of heat is flat out bad is not quite true. Too much of anything is bad, but in the case of deep conditioning, most products direct you to put the product on your hair with plastic cap and sit under a dryer in order for the product to better penetrate the hair cuticle. Of course, a conditioning heating cap is probably preferable to a hooded dryer, since that is specifically designed for deep conditioning treatments.

The problem with blowdryers and such is that they strip the hair of moisture. Not to mention all the tension and strain of the pulling and rough handling. The plastic cap used under the dryer kees the hair from drying out since it traps the water in. The heat then opens the cuticle and allows the wet conditioner to seep into the hair better. When you're done, you're hair should feel more moist than when you started.

when my hair was damaged I had to use a heating cap to allow the conditioner to penetrate into the hair strands. I knew that I didn't need heat when I would get the same conditioning results after conditioning for 5min, instead of 30 w/heat.

Back